And We’ll Have Fun, Fun, Fun ‘Til The Mommy Goes Crazy

And We’ll Have Fun, Fun, Fun ‘Til The Mommy Goes Crazy

October 5, 2005

Do you ever have one of those times when you wish you could just leave your body and float far far away?

I had just that experience today. Why you might ask?

I had to bring my van to the auto repair shop to have the annual emissions testing done. Today was the last day that I could have it done for $20, after today it would be $20 plus a $20 late fine. The fine would have been worth the price of my sanity.

If someone offered me $20 to sit in a crowded waiting room for an hour and a half with my wild children- why oh why did I feed them pop tarts in the van on the way over there- I would have laughed in their face, yet that is essentially what I did. yes I realize I could have gone and had my van inspected any time during the sixty previous days and avoided such a scene, but what can I say, other than, “shut-up. Just shut-up.”.

The highlights of my day included:

A 4 yr old who kept (loudly) calling the man in waiting room with a long black coat, black hat, black pants, black shoes, and black shirt, Indiana Jones and questioning where he kept his whip. But it did give my 9 yr old the idea for a Halloween costume, and now I only have to sew him a faux leather jacket. Good Lord, I only agreed to sew it to make them stop talking about Indiana Jones in front of this poor man. (Personally I thought he looked more like Neo, from the Matrix, but the kids have not seen that movie.)

A 4 yr old who kept (loudly) commenting on the appearance of everyone in the waiting room, like gee that lady has big legs, doesn’t she?

A 4 yr old and an 8 yr old who got into a knock down drag out brawl over a chair, though there were numerous other vacant chairs to sit on, especially since all the people were all scared off by the 4 yr olds running commentary… or maybe the 8 yr olds hacking cough and his refusal to cover his mouth.

A 6 yr old who questioned whether wearing earrings made a boy look more like a girl, in front of all the men who work in the car shop and all wear earrings.

A 6 yr old who licked, yes licked, the glass front door of this auto repair shop.

A 2 yr old who kept spinning the magazine rack so fast that all the magazines kept flying off of it across the room.

A baby who made a stinky stinky room clearing poop with the knowledge that I had left the diaper bag in the van which was at that point in the air and inaccessible. Okay, maybe the baby didn’t really know I had left the clean diapers in the van, but he should have. He is nine months old afterall, hardly a newborn anymore.

A husband who calls me in the midst of this “fun” and says, just give it an hour or two and you’ll find the humor in it.

I’m still waiting.

Comments

1. Jordana says:

One of my children would have been sure to lick something in the room too. I commiserate.

2. susie says:

We had this experience at the tire store on Monday. It was delightfully nice of the tire dude to fix one tire and THEN tell me that I needed two other tires. The second waiting time was when the 4 yo decided to see if she could flip off of the chairs while watching our car tires being moved all around.

susie
    mom4safe at livejournal

3. Wendy says:

I woulda thunk they’d all have been glad to let you go first. Or, perhaps they were all glad to have something to keep them amused while they waited.

I see the humor in it, by the way. Sorry.

4. Buffi says:

What is with the licking?? My 4 year old does that. Sooooo gross.

Even though you can’t see the humor yet, thanks for sharing with us. Misery loves company, you know.

5. Debbie says:

love your blog, you make me laugh frequently. i was always able to do stuff like that while the kids were in school or my hubby would have done it.

6. Julie says:

You should move to Kentucky. No emissions testing here, no yearly car inspections. When I moved here from NC I couldn’t believe it, but then realized THAT was why so many cars sputtered black smoke from their exhaust pipes.

Kentucky is a border state in SO many ways.

7. Melanie says:

You might not find the humor in it yet, but while I feel for you, I’m also laughing. It’s nice to know that another mommy who loves her kids is also driven crazy by them!

8. dazeymae says:

done this
    been there
    bought the t-shirt
    starred in the video

my kids are very well behaved most of the time. However, there is something about the waiting room of a car/auto place that ‘flips the switch’. Can’t figure it out. Doctor’s office, fine. Picture appointment, fine. Place that smells of grease and tires…they go beeeeeeserkO!

This is my argument about not getting that car air freshener that has “new car smell”….oh no…that’s what sets them off. I’m still shopping for “church on sunday morning” car freshener, that’s a snoozer, right there I tell ya.

9. Silly Old Bear says:

Look on the bright side, at least he didn’t lick Indiana Jones!

(I feel your pain; three kids is about two too many at a car shop for me)

10. Chris says:

silly old bear,

LOL! Yes, that is a good thing!

11. Kate says:

What a mess next time I would sacrafice the extra 20.

I cant even imagine how gross that door tasted when he licked it. Glad Indiana was helpful to someones costume. And of course the baby would poop when there were no diapers. He had to do his part in making you crazy as well.

12. halloweenlover says:

Ok, the licking was gross, but the poopy diaper pushed me over the edge. Miles, tsk tsk.

13. Darren says:

Dear Chris,

Why are you so funny?

Love,
    Darren

14. Deborah says:

I always try to find the humor in the odd events while they are happening. (Public licking being a prime example.) Because I know people are looking at my wild kids and judging their mother I always say, “Little boy where is your mother?” Maybe my kids will need counseling because I deny them in public…maybe people know I am lying…but it makes me feel better.

15. Connor Wilson says:

Every year my son Dylan and I have been building our Halloween animatronic display. This year we added 12 new figures and my wife had been making the clothes etc. but then I clued in that Halloween Costumes were the ideal solution - ya, ok I’m slow but…This year is really cool because we’ve done an HP Lovecraft display that I’m sure he’d appreciate but I’m not so sure he’d approve of this - The Necronomicon - Is it just me or is that just plain goofy ? Anyway, everybody is doing their own Haunted House thing now but hey - it’s fun and if you’ve got kids I really suggest you try it yourself if you haven’t already. It’s a nice change from the usual Christmas Lights routine and a lot of scaaarrry fun. Happy Halloween everybody.

16. Anonymous says:

I like the page you have here. Check mine out raid 5 data recovery

17. Gift Ideas Guide says:

this is a very interesting post.

Get your gift ideas at our wine gift basket site and you will save tons of time and money.

18. cards65 says:

I like your blog. Perhaps if you get time you could visit my cat humor website at cat humor

19. Hoodia says:

Help me Dude, I think I’m lost….. I was searching for Elvis and somehow ended up in your blog, but you know I’m sure I saw him in a car lot yesterday, which is really strange because the last time I saw him was in the supermarket. No honest really, he was right there in front of me, next to the steaks singing “Love me Tender”. He said to me (his lip was only slightly curled) “Boy, you need to get yourself a San Diego cosmetic surgery doctor ,to fit into those blue suede shoes of yours. But Elvis said in the Ghetto nobody can afford a San Diego plastic surgery doctor. Dude I’m All Shook Up said Elvis. I think I’ll have me another cheeseburger. Then I’m gonna go round and see Michael Jackson and we’re gonna watch a waaaay cool make-over show featuring some Tijuana dentists on the TV in the back of my Hummer. And then he just walked out of the supermarket singing. . . “You give me love and consolation,
    You give me strength to carry on ” Strange day or what? :-)

20. Antonio Hicks says:

I was just browsing various blogs as I was doing a search on the word halloween, and I just wanted to say that I really like what you’ve done with your blog, even though it wasn’t particularly related to what I searched for. I appreciate your postings, and your blog is a good example of how a blog should be done. I’ve only just recently started a Posters website - feel free to visit it when you get a chance if you wish. Much success, antonio.

21. Texas Seo Expert says:

Cool blog.. Hope you will check mine out

wedding gift for groomsmen related information that will last you from season to season.

22. Anonymous says:

Hi, Some blogs on baby girl gift basket are a lot more interesting than others.
    Your blog is one of the better ones I have seen.
    Some folks are interested in locating the perfect baby gift for the newborn in their family. This is where I have found a really neat gift idea that is very unusual: baby girl gift basket .
    Check it out and see if you don’t agree.

Later,
    Larry

23. Anonymous says:

Now this is funny ;)

24. Anonymous says:

Hey, you have a great blog here! I’m definitely going to bookmark you!

I have a band shirtcompany called Holden Tees. We’re a small company and we sell shirts and stuff.

Come and check it out if you get time

-Holden Tees

25. Anonymous says:

Are you sick of standing in line for Holiday purchases? Now you dont have to and you can save 20%. We just reduced our prices 20% in celebration of the holidays. Choose from Electronics, Clothes, Kitchen Items, Beautiful Jewelry, Toys, Watches and more. Over 15000 items to choose from all at reduced prices.

food gift

26. diaper king says:

Hello ##NAME##, what a great blog! I can’t believe the fantastic ideas you come up with! My diaper cakes site is a little off your topic but something
    I believe you may find interesting. I was searching for diaper cakes when I stumbled across your site. Keep up the creative thinking and I will be back to check this out again. Let’s say a prayer for our boys in Iraq and hope for the best.

27. D.C. Bowns says:

While searching for gift basket toronto I just have not had the best search results. Maybe I need to create my own blog and let others post so I can get better info on gift basket toronto.

28. jKlyydRs says:

Hi,
    You have a neat blog here. I have a site on wedding anniversary gift that you may be interested in linking to.

29. Gift Basket says:

Hey, cool blog you got here. I’m a nut case surfer, but l know what I like.
    Have a good one!
    Always looking for Puppy Gift Basket!

30. Gift Basket says:

Hello! Blog surfing(as usual) and I found you guys. Nice feeling here. I’ll come back . Keep up more stuff about Holiday Gift Basket, please.
    All the best, Holiday Gift Basket

31. Electronics Deals says:

Hello,

I went to blogger and searched for free electronics and got your blog.
    Not really targeted the results !!
    Anyone knows where to find blogs on free electronics ?
    Thanks

Alex

32. Scott Arthur Edwards says:

Congradulations on a well written, interesting and superb blog! Have you heard about the shocking news?

1000’s of real people are earning quiet fortunes from home using the most ingenious automated system ever invented.

Are you curious to find out what this is all about?

Why not? You have nothing to lose.

You can sign up for this system absolutely free of charge and check it all out for yourself.

To start off, we have a video presentation for you to watch. Just turn up the speakers if you can, and click on the link below.

Have fun and open your mind.

It is all right here: online money making business It successfully covers online money making business related stuff.

Come and check it out now, Scott :-)