Life Before Google?

Life Before Google?

October 16, 2005

How would I have known how to make this?

Just Another Use For Duct Tape
Originally uploaded by the big yellow house.
What is it, you ask?

This is a device to fix the television screen by degaussing the mask.

Huh? Why on earth do you need this?

This is what you need when your child, the one I have mentioned before, decides to stick magnets on your television screen and ruins the picture quality, making all the colors off. This means Jeff is wearing a green shirt, Murray is all stripy, and this is simply NOT ACCEPTABLE to a two year old, who feels the need to voice her displeasure loudly and continuously until your ears bleed.

The thing that keeps this child alive is that you just know that someone somewhere on the internet has written about the exact same thing.

And when you search and find people selling expensive products to fix this problem you know that someone somewhere must have figured out an alternate solution.

And that someone somewhere will have written a web page about it.

And the google gods pull through for you once again and you bow down before them in thanks.

Then instead of strangling said child, you can mentally compose a blog entry about it. Because if you can fix it, then it is humorous.

And it’s educational. “Gather ’round my children here is your science lesson for the week. Don’t say I never let you do cool science experiments.”

Fixing the television
Originally uploaded by the big yellow house.

Still confused?

Read this if you are interested in a full technical explanation.

Comments

1. Jodi says:

That really is fascinating. My kids stuck the new “My Little Pony” toys with the magnets in their feet to my computer monitor and I had several spots on it for a long time. I didn’t know there was a way to fix it. Amazing!

Glad to hear your t.v. is back to is original technicolor status! :)

2. beth says:

Hi there. I read your blog but don’t usually comment. I just had to say, though, that as I was reading this post my husband walked by and saw the screen. He stopped, looked at the photos, and said “That is AWESOME.” Indeed! :)

3. MamaGeph says:

Children are just amazing. It never would have occurred to me to put magnets on the TV screen in the first place.

4. robiewankenobie says:

is this a permanent fix? or do they have to take turns with the magnet? *giggle*

5. Jody says:

Cool!

Glad your TV is back to normal.

Jodi, I read your comment and had to LOL. Mia has no less than 10 MLP, and the boys think it is hilarious to attach them all over the house. I have found them hanging upside down from the toilet flusher, walking up the side of the trash can etc etc.

I will keep them AWAY from the monitor and TV!

6. novaks8 says:

It’s like reading about my own house!
    Isn’t it amazing what they can do?

My oldest son was the master. He could break ANYthing.

Could….I mean CAN. He is still the first name I call when something turns up broken!

7. Kate says:

That is really cool.

I love Google I would be so lost without it.

8. Buffi says:

DO NOT tell my children about this. They will have to try it out. I would much rather experience this vicariously through you!

9. S'te says:

My son did this with a large magnet. We spent a few days watching the tv like that while I pondered the situation. He flipped the magnet over to the other side, stuck it back in the same spot and all was well!

I am hiding all magnets as I type. Who knew?

11. Meg says:

That is so science-y. Brent and I were just talking about you over the weekend and admiring your teaching abilities. I would never think to use that as a teaching opportunity. A yelling opportunity, perhaps.

12. Silly Old Bear says:

Oh that is So. Neat.

Thanks for the tip!

(we have about a thousand Magnetix. Guess what will likely happen, eventually?)

13. nextcommercial says:

I am putting the magnet set on a high shelf. Thanks for the heads up! I had no idea that could happen.

14. halloweenlover says:

Wait, so it worked?

You really are amazing, Chris.

15. kalisah says:

dude, magnets change the color on the TV screen? Who knew?

Now I totally want to try it. Even though I know it has devastating consequences. It’s kinda like pushing on the crack in the windshield and watching it spread all the way across your dash.

16. Jen says:

How my 4 year old scientist hasn’t figured this out yet is beyond me. It’s just a matter of time before he figures it out and teaches his little brother as well. Ahh, the joys of boys.

17. Anonymous says:

Hey, you have a great blog here! I’m definitely going to bookmark you!

I have a splendid teesTee site called Holden Tees. We’re a small company and we sell shirts and stuff.

Come and check it out if you get time

-Holden Tees

18. plymouthrockranch.com » Science Experiment 2 for the Day says:

[...] computer screen and the resulting black haze halo left behind. She very kindly emailed us a link to this page (just in case there are others of you out there who wonder what their child was thinking when they [...]