The Joy Of Homeschooling

One gallon jug of white vinegar: $2.49

Step Two
Box of baking soda: $.55

Step Three
Single serving bottle of soda: $1.09

Step Four
Originally uploaded by the big yellow house.

Getting to watch the excitement of your children as they direct their own learning : PRICELESS

Getting hit in the head by the cork as it flies out of the soda bottle: occupational hazard

Comments

1. MoMMY says:

You homeschool too? Are you crazy woman? Just kidding, so cool that you do that. I would probably go insane. Wait, I already did.

Anyway, hope the cork didn’t do any permanent damage.

2. Possum Pearl says:

*I love homeschooling!*

3. Meg says:

Okay, that last line cracked my sh!t up.

4. Mary Poppins NOT says:

I let my kid’s direct their own learning in this way once. They asked if they could do the vinegar/baking soda experiment, I said “sure”, just thankful they would be occupied for some time. Then I went to go see how it was going, and smelled a most delicious aroma. It took my brain 7.2 seconds to realize I was smelling Balsamic vinegar, and yes, it was all gone, mixed with the baking soda and sprayed all over the kitchen. They didn’t even have the sense to do it outside. Next time I was a little more involved in their learning :)

5. halloweenlover says:

I didn’t know you homeschooled either! Umm, can you bottle just a little bit of your energy and send it my way? Just a bit would make a HUGE difference to me. PLEASE?!?

6. Kate says:

looks like fun was had by all!

7. B.E.C.K. says:

Ooh, that is a fun experiment! When I was a kid, my friend and I made a papier mache volcano (for a science fair or something) with a Pringles can in the middle. Then we colored the vinegar red before adding it to the baking soda in the can. No cork. But man, that was totally fun. I love that you let your kids do that sort of thing — they’ll likely remember it fondly forever. :-)

8. Mom2the5rs says:

We did this! What power a 9 year old feels to launch her own cork! Truly priceless. And they all smell like pickles…BTW have they talked you into “moon goop” with cornstarch and water yet??? Amazing stuff!