In Keeping With The Same Joyful Holiday Theme

In Keeping With The Same Joyful Holiday Theme

December 15, 2005

If Dante were rewriting Inferno which of these should be included in a Circle of Hell:

a) Having a spouse who smokes and tries to quit smoking at least twice a year, thereby making the rest of us walk around on eggshell for two weeks while he is all cranky and irritable, only to start smoking again a short time later, which makes it extremely difficult to be supportive the next time and causes some people, who shall remain nameless for their own protection, to say things like, “You might be healthier, but I am going to have to kill you. Therefore quitting really is a lose-lose proposition.”

b) Having the aforementioned spouse decide that two weeks before Christmas is the perfect time to try to quit smoking AGAIN.

c)Holding a beautiful bottle of wine in your hands that is begging you to drink it, only being unable to find the bottle opener.

d) All of the above.

Comments

1. tammie says:

Ouch… poor Rob. They say it takes 10 or more tries before the average person quits smoking. How about the patch or a prescription? If that doesn’t work, you can always get a tazer at Walmart and shock him with he gets cranky (that way, he will be in so much pain that he’ll forget about his cravings).
    Best of luck to him (and you and the kids), it really is a nasty habit.

2. Sarah says:

Definitely all of the above. I’ve had that beautiful bottle of wine in my hands and no cork screw-it’s a great big tease.
    And being around someone trying to quit smoking? Hell.

3. Chris says:

Ooooooohhh!! I like that idea tammie ;-)

4. Gem'smom says:

Yep- the hubby here usually chooses Thanksgiving as his “quit” time (as we ride in the car 7 hours and visit MY family)! He’s been smoke-free since Thanksgiving this year but he’s now addicted to Commit lozenges. But he’s not as grumpy! (not, not-grumpy, but not as grumpy, ha ha)

5. Meg says:

You know, you can always smash the neck of the wine bottle off on a counter if you get desperate. It won’t be beautiful anymore, but it’ll be beautiful in your tummy…

6. Kristen says:

My husband tried to quit smoking for years, too. What finally worked (or it seems to have worked so far at least) was an actual smoking cessation class put on by a hospital. They did the negative association thing where the class participants basically made themselves sick on cigarette smoke. Doesn’t make you want to pick up a cigarette after you’ve been through that…

7. "D" says:

The taser… oh my goodness… laughing WAY too hard here… in my dreams…oh in my dreams zzt, zzt, zaaap!

Aw, that is pretty bad. But maybe this is it, the time it sticks?
    It only took me five times, so what is that, half the times the average person quits, according to tammie? But I haven’t smoked in a year in a half! Good luck to him. I hope this is the one.

9. speckledpup says:

neither my husband or I have ever smoked.
    no one in our family has .. ever

I need a tazer.
    now.
    gotta have one
    so.many.fluffin.possibilities.

10. Annalise says:

My dad saw a hypnotist, and that - after many failed attempts - was the thing that worked wrt to quitting smoking. He’s rather embarrassed about it though, and would never admit it to anyone :-)
    And, you can buy tasers at Walmart? God I miss America ;-)

11. Lilorfnannie says:

Oooh, Tazer! I love it! wouldn’t it be satisfying (in one’s dreams) to just Tazer the people that annoy the living daylights out of you!

and haven’t I seen Scenario Number One played out, over & over & over- Thanks for putting a humorous spin on it!!

12. Mary Poppins NOT says:

I’ve been there. Just last week my dh said he would try quitting again “tomorrow”. I replied, “Not a good time - don’t have time to deal with you. Try after Christmas.” We’ll see.

13. petindex says:

Great post. I too have a blog about quit smoking . let me know if you want to trade links.

14. Harald says:

Excellent webpage!

cheap cruises caribbean vacation carnival cruisesnonstopcom

Regards,
    Gerald E.
    cheap cruises caribbean vacation carnival cruisesnonstopcom

15. mario says:

You have some great content on your site. I think the Paul McKenna system at Paul McKenna says he can make you thin which is based on his new British TV show where he is conducting a nationwide experiment for weight loss is worth a look.

16. caribbean-vacation.caribbeanholidaypackage says:

[...] ´╗┐regal site now redraft this talk http://www.notesfromthetrenches.com/2005/12/15/in-keeping-with-the-same-joyful-holiday-theme/ and give comments [...] caribbean [...]