She’s Making A List, Ignoring It Twice

She’s Making A List, Ignoring It Twice

December 20, 2005

Things I still have left to do before Christmas:

1)Bake and decorate our gingerbread house. I am thinking of taking a lead from my friend Annalise and adapting her cookie-less chocolate chip cookie recipe and making a gingerbread-free gingerbread house, which would basically be giving the kids packages of Necco wafers, gum drops, and licorice string to eat and calling it a day.

2)Wrap way too many freaking presents for my children, which a month from now I will be tripping over and wondering why I didn’t just toss my money into the garbage and save myself the time and aggravation of shopping.

3) Clean my house so it will pass the white glove test of the relatives. God help me. Right now my house is in “kick a path” condition.

4) Buy some new wine glasses, since I have broken all but two of ours. If I don’t get to buy some I must then choose three relatives I would not mind sharing my glass with. Why do they make wine glasses so fragile? Don’t they know that drunk people will be handling them?

5) Bring the kids to see the mall Santa and get their picture taken with him. Wonder if I could test out my new wine glasses while doing this.

6) Decide what to serve for Christmas dinner and then buy it and cook it.

7)Bring the kids to the dollar store so they can buy presents for each other, Rob and me. Because Rob needs another one dollar ceramic figurine for his office, which is where we tell the kids all the tacky shit, ugly crap, presents they give us end up.
8) Clean the bathrooms and make boy use the outdoors until after Christmas.

These are just the highlights of the normal things. I also have to finish painting my kitchen cabinets and installing the new hinges and hardware, thus giving the illusion to the relatives that our cabinets aren’t held together by spit and prayer. And hang my new dining room curtains. And… and…

And yet here I sit procrastinating. The only explanation I have for this is that I love the adrenaline rush of not knowing if it will all be done in time. Will the relatives be eating PB&J and the kids rooting through Target bags for the gifts?

I think I need more coffee.

Comments

I’m right here with ya. We should form a Procrastinators Club. Tomorrow…

2. hoshi says:

I would join that club. Right after I finish watching whatever is on TV, and then picking my fingernails for an hour.

3. novaks8 says:

I just posted about our impending trip to the Dollar Store.

ugggg

4. Kristen says:

Ugh, don’t remind me. My four-year-old recently pointed out that there is a “really big sack” in my closet. Yep, that’s all the crap I have to wrap up between holiday parties, job interviews, and house prep for the guests this weekend. AAAAA!

5. Gretchen says:

Our Christmas presents haven’t made it into the house yet. They are still travelling in the trunk of my car! Oy.

6. Meg says:

This is why I have plastic wine glasses. Classy, I know. Hey, why don’t you come down here and let Rob and the kids fend for themselves? We have free long distance, so you can call and wish them a Merry Christmas while enjoying a plastic glass of wine in our fairly clean bathroom and eating our annual Christmas Eve pizza…

7. KateL says:

Is there an IKEA near you? They have great wine glasses, 6 for under $6. Our Martha Stewart K-Mart wine glasses have lasted a very long time so I can recommend them too.

8. Alissa says:

is there some law about drinking wine out of a mug? and you get more that way, right? ;)

9. tender arts says:

Oh, I feel your pain. And when it gets really bad, freezing up is all you can do! Make someone else host and feel a burden being lifted up and away. Best of luck to you. (Hey, you can get your wine glasses at the dollar store-that will combine two trips. And what about paying your oldest child to wrap presents? Tell him that if he spills the beans to any of the recipients he won’t get paid!)

10. Lilorfnannie says:

” ‘kick a path’ condition”

Too funny! It made me feel better, though- at least I’m not the only one! What kind of homemaker am I, when the only gift Hubby requests is “a clean house”!! Oh, that I could hire a maid!

11. Steph says:

I know exactly how you feel. Last night I found myself wondering if my children are young enough not to notice if we celebrate Christmas a few days late. How bad is that, lol.

I could be the organizer of your procrastinator club! We would get everything done late and half assed if that was the case. I shouldnt be so hard on myself and neither should you! We dont live in a Beaver Cleaver society anymore.

As far as wine glasses, I bought some about 2 years ago at Target. They have all lasted the test of time, which has included my youngest thinking he was a “grown up” and has used them on several different occasions for just milk. Good luck with all you have left to do!

13. Annalise says:

And there are plenty of other recipes where that one came from - just let me know if you need one for some special occasion :-)

14. Paula says:

Dh and I long ago stopped wrapping for one another for all occasions and just whip the item out of a bag–sort of like “rooting through a Target bag.”

Made me laugh again!

15. shannon says:

Crate & Barrel has a sturdy wine glass that sells for 1.95 a pop called Rafael. That is if you don’t leave it on the floor next to your chair and then forget and throw down a book or something on top of it. Not that I would do something like that…

16. Anonymous says:

There is nothing like a home renovation project to improve the way you live your life. There are so many great local resources now for Italian Kitchen Design . It is easier than ever to pick up the phone or go online and find Italian Kitchen Design.

Another great site with a lot of updating information is http://www.floridakitchendesigns.com. Thanks by the way for such a great blog!

17. Crafty Jacqui says:

Hi there, I am out searching for info on and found your site. I’m a fan of all crafts including and enjoyed your post. Good job.

18. open365dayz says:

Hi #NAME#. Just found your site via beauty. Although I was looking for beauty I was glad i came upon your site. Thanks for the read!