Highlights From A Christmas

Highlights From A Christmas

December 27, 2005

Visit With Santa

The presents that were the unexpected biggest hits and caused the recipients to scream, “Thanks Mom. This is all I have EVER wanted.” Which I wish I had known before I shopped:

pedometer, given to my 9 year old who spent the entire day yesterday running and jumping around the house and giving us hourly, sometimes even more frequent, updates on how many steps he had walked thus far. It also gave me the ability to say things like, “Hey, go outside and run around the house ten times and see how far that is!” or “I wonder how many steps it is to bring the garbage from the kitchen out to the garbage cans?”

grabber claw, now there is nothing out of reach and pinching people’s butts has never been so much fun!

empty 2L bottle of Sprite, though technically it wasn’t a Christmas present, but it was bought for Christmas and given the amount of enjoyment my 1 yr old has gotten out of the empty bottle, it should have been

A gun that shoots suction cups and was bought at the Dollar Store has been much loved by everyone. Now I have little spit circles on all of my windows

The present that made us laugh the most:

A wool peacoat I gave to Rob which claimed to be reversible. But the reverse side was the quilted lining which looked like a lining and not at all like it was the right side, except for the pockets. I can’t adequately describe how funny it was. You’ll just have to trust me on this one. It was tears streaming down my cheeks, peeing in my pants funny. The children didn’t think it was nearly as funny, but I think that is probably because they were sober.*

The present that broke as soon as it was opened and renewed my hatred for all things Barbie:

Barbie Magna Doodle piece of pink crap.

The present that I have enjoyed the most:

Skipper. I had one of these when I was a kid and used to play with it all the time. I discovered I am still good at it. The kids and I had numerous competitions yesterday, with me screaming things like, “I’m taking you down suckah. You can’t beat me.” and “Be serious, this isn’t a game!”

The most unexpected present:

A beautiful red wool coat that was given to me “from Rob”. He was very surprised and I complimented him on his exquisite taste.

There is so much more I could write about but my fingers are just bloody stumps from all the twist-tie undoing and my tiny screwdriver services are required yet again to install some batteries that will eventually end up costing more than the toy itself. I have Christmas photos up at Flickr, just click the Santa one at the top of the post if you want to relive my Christmas in excrutiating detail

*not that we were drunk, just enjoying a bottle of wine or three on Christmas Eve

Comments

1. novaks8 says:

Oh Chris, what handsome young men!
    I can just feel the testosterone from all the way down the East Coast!

I finally put the last item together last night….the bed rail for my daughter’s top bunk.
    I can’t convey the look she gave me when she opened that big box and it was a…bed rail.
    LOL
    But dang I found one at Target 2 days before Christmas so I wrapped it!

The only official Barbie item we bought this year was a stylin head. She has played with it twice.
    I have brushed it’s hair more than she has.

2. halloweenlover says:

Oooh a red wool coat! I am too impressed with Rob’s good taste.

And I am cracking up about the skipper. I bet it is good exercise too!

3. Chris says:

halloweenlover,

you did get that the coat was a surprise to him, right?

4. Sleeping Mommy says:

Sounds like a wonderful Christmas was had by all at the big yellow house. Now it’s time to recover. :)
    And your children are simply gorgeous while Santa looks a little awed himself.

5. speckledpup says:

I’m beginning to think we’re long lost sisters.
    I always buy myself a wonderful present from DH…he’s as excited as anyone else to see what he got me.
    I think anyone who says on the way to his mom’s on Christmas Eve “hey what did we get my mom?” deserves to be surprised with a big giftie for me on Christmas Day.

6. Flutter says:

That is alot of toys and trash on Christmas morning. Looks like fun was had by all!

The love/hate Barbie Relationship!

The picture with Santa turned out great!

7. ohhmama! says:

LOL. I particularly liked the “spit circles” on the window part. Sounds like Christmas was a blast at your house.

8. Annalise says:

Hey, the skipper (didn’t know that’s what they were called) was the Toy of The Day at our house last Christmas :-) They are fun, and I’m glad we’re not the only unhealthily competitive parents around :-)

9. Lisa says:

When I was little, I had a similar toy to The Skipper. It was called a Lemon Twist.

10. deputyswife says:

You have a great looking family!

Now, how do you do it? I have three boys and one girl and I am exhausted! Do I need to drink more wine? LOL!

Love love love the pic with santa! And a very cute Santa too!! :) I was looking at the pictures of you children, with your ONE daughter, and thought to myself, will she ever date with all those brothers??? LOL! Beautiful kids!

12. Possum Pearl says:

Is it my imagination, or is that a shocked expression on Santa’s face? Have you considered a caption contest… “What is Santa thinking?” Sounds like you and your family had a wonderful Christmas! *Smile*

13. Jody says:

Love the red coat story. Bill “bought” me a camera this year….early.

Looks like you had a wonderful Christmas!