New Year’s Eve Quote

New Year’s Eve Quote

January 2, 2006

For the first time we let the children stay up until midnight on New Year’s Eve. A little while before midnight we gathered ’round the television to watch the ball drop.

The children watched with rapt anticipation.

We did the count down… 10, 9, 8…

The ball fell and Rob and I shouted “Happy New Year”

The children looked at us, clearly underwhelmed by the entire experience.

“Is that it? Is that ALL that happens?” my 9 year old asked.

“Well, yes that is it. It is now 2006.” I answered.

“That ball is so stupid. It would be way better if the ball fell down and then rolled down the street and people had to try and out run it, or else be crushed to death. That would be exciting.”

Indeed it would be.
And I’d be willing to bet that Times Square would be much less crowded.

Comments

1. novaks8 says:

People are dumb like that.
    You would think the streets would be pretty empty when they let the crazed bulls out too.

Your kids are so funny, you should compile all their quotes for a book.

2. caroline says:

That is too funny. We too let our kids stay up for the first time to watch. I counted down … the ball fell … “was that it?” my eldest daughter asked.

“Yes. Happy New Year it’s 2006!” I say.

To which my 7 year old son replies … “so what.”

They all got up without my prompting and headed to bed.

3. Michelle says:

My boys had about the same reaction as yours did. This was their first time too to stay up. We gave them sparkling grape juice, which they hated! lol….

I, on the other hand, enjoyed a few fuzzy navel wine coolers through the evening.

I love your blog, BTW..

4. Delisa says:

I just wanted to say that I love your blog. My sister-in-law/best friend introduced it to me last night while she visited. I laughed until I cried and cried until I laughed! Val has me hooked on these blogs and now I have attempted to create one. Oh and by the way, your kids are beautiful! Thanks for the tears and laughter!

5. Silly Old Bear says:

Please let’s put your kid in charge next year. Time to liven up the party!

6. Mrs. Darling says:

You know Ive always thought that ball dropping was overrated myself. Lol

7. MamaGeph says:

Well, they do have a point. A little carnage would make things a lot more interesting.

Even better: How’s about we drop Dick Clark instead of a ball?

8. nabbalicious says:

Ha! I’m picturing it in my head, and loving it.

I fell asleep, on my couch at about 11 o’clock on New Years Eve. My 8 year old wakes me up and I sleepily tell him I will be up in a minute and laid there with my eyes closed. I then overhear him tell my oldest son in the other room, “mom is asleep, thats what happens when you get old.” Im 34 now, I would hate to wonder what he thinks when I am 64! Gotta love the honesty of children! ;)

10. Flutter says:

New years eve from a little boys perspective!

11. Kristen says:

Ah yes, out of the mouths of babes…! He’s right, though. He’s just saying what we’ve all been thinking for years. “Is that it???!!” HAHA!!

12. Moonface says:

I’ve just discovered your blog recently and love it!

I dont think it’s just the kids who find the countdown to the new year a bit of “so what?”… in recent years I’ve been finding it a bit of an anti climax myself, realising that I’m just getting older.

13. blackbird says:

I have just remembered, having read this, that I used to think something huge happened at the stroke of 12.
    I wasn’t sure what I thought it would be, just that SOMETHING should occur.

14. Anonymous says:

YES!!!! My kinda kid you have there, Chris. I’ve always thought that the “ball” should be one that is on fire, that not only crushes its victims, but burns them alive and maims survivors (I swear, I’ve thought that from childhood until even this very day). Now THAT would be an exciting New Years.
    Or, a ball that spews radioactive waste…

15. kalisah says:

that is so funny!

You always hear that kids are let down their first new year’s eve - that they think there should be some sort of explosion with the new year or something.

But this is a new twist I wasn’t expecting. I think your kid is right on.

16. Libragirl says:

A friend of mine has the same sentiment about the ball. Except he wants it to exloded and have glass shards fly all over and then roll down the street.

He’s 38 and a neuropsychologist. and vicious

17. Janet says:

I like it. It’s like combining running with the bulls with New Years. I think the kid’s on to something…

Here through the BOB’s…congrats on your nom!:)