Fourteen Sixteen Inches And Counting

Fourteen Sixteen Inches And Counting

January 3, 2006

Let It Snow...

I called a good friend of mine first thing this morning. As soon as she answered I screamed into the phone, “The milk and bread! I forgot the milk and bread! What kind of mother am I?!? We’re all going to DIE like the Donner party.” Then I hung up.

Don’t you wish I had your phone number?

Updated to add: It is 4:18pm and it is STILL snowing. I think we have about 20 inches there now. There is no way Rob is going to make it up the driveway tonight when he gets home from work, unless I go out there and shovel. But it’s mediocre Mom and Wife day and I made a hearty stew for dinner and baked bread, which in my book puts me ahead of the game. And snow is cold. I hate the cold.

Updated yet again: I did end up doing the driveway. To clarify, the snowblower was out of gas and really wouldn’t have been of much help for the end of the driveway. The problem is that the plow comes down the street and makes a huge pile of snow in front of the driveway. Tonight it was five feet wide and above my waist. All had to be done by hand. By the time I was done the piles on either side of my driveway were as tall as I am. Also by the time I was done I was cursing at all the men driving down the road with their trucks with the plows attached to the front. I hated every minute of it, but consoled myself by imagining that I was tossing away one of the many many Christmas cookies that have attached themselves to my ass with every shovel throw. If only it were that easy.

Comments

1. Lauren says:

What about the toilet paper?? Everyone KNOWS that toilet paper, milk and bread are going to save you in a snow storm. =) Or is that just here in Maine? *grin*

2. novaks8 says:

Here?
    0 inches and counting.

Not a speck yet.

Kind of impossible when the low last night was 60.

3. Anonymous says:

Chris - Love your blog and pics! Please tell me what digital camera you use - your pics are just wonderful! Cheryl

4. Alissa says:

yes, i’d love that kind of call from a friend… let me know if you need my number

5. Audrey says:

Yikes, I am sitting out on my front porch its a lovely 73 as of 1:00pm. I Love it here! (G)

6. Flutter says:

Stressing over the important items.

I would love to know what camera you use I am in the market for a new one! I just posted asking for suggestions.

7. Jordana says:

Ha ha ha ha!

While I’m kind of glad not to be dealing with the white stuff and was happy enough to grill steaks for NYE and weed the flowerbeds yesterday, my son would just about kill to get at all that snow.

8. Kristen says:

It’s 70 degrees here, I can barely remember what snow looks like. But then, I’m in Oklahoma, so we’ll probably be in a blizzard in an hour or so.

9. judi says:

you make me miss new england. washington d.c. just doesn’t cut it on the snow front. but wse have scandals aplenty.

10. TheMartins says:

Too cute! I think you are ahead of the game too!

Hope he gets to enjoy his dinner too.

I’m in Arizona no snow here! :( Good luck and stay warm.

11. Suzanne says:

Don’t you have children? Get them bundled up and hand them shovels!

12. lipstickface says:

Why are YOU getting all the snow? I’m above you on the map. Ive been waiting for these storms all week - they keep pushing them up. Massachusetts just got 14 inches in some spots. I WANT SNOW DANGIT!!!!

(to clarify - I like sitting inside and watching the snow. or tubing. thats it. hate the cold)

13. Delisa says:

Not to rub it in but it was in the 70’s today. (Florida) (It’s January Mother Nature get with the program!!!) I want just a little snow. Just a smidgen. Oh by the way, are you in Maine? My husband is from China Lake area and has family in Waterville! We vacation there every year and I love it!

Call me crazy Chris, but I am dreamily looking at your snow, and if I were there, I would probably snow blow the drive way for you!

Sincerely,
    75 degrees and wishing I had a real winter :(

15. Kristen says:

Just read the update and wanted to say that I think you’ve MORE than met your good wife/mom quota for the day what with the homemade stew and the bread. YUMMY.

P.S. You’ve been tagged at http://homeonthefringe.blogspot.com/2006/01/meme.html

16. deputyswife says:

Good Grief! All of our snow has melted… lucky you… ha!

17. nabbalicious says:

Ugh. I am SO JEALOUS! 20 inches? That is, like, my dream!

we are under feet of snow in northern italy but my father-in-law goes out to shovel it. i just “help” which entails chatting with the neighbors. get yourself some relatives!

19. Meg says:

Don’t you know by now that shoveling snow builds character? AND keeps you thin.

Ha! I love those crazy people who rush to the store to buy milk and bread at the first hint of snow. You deserve extra wife bonus points for shoveling the driveway. This is why my husband bought a Jeep Wrangler, I’m a bad wife.

21. speckledpup says:

you’re such a good little wife.

oh my.

I hope for your effort you got at least 7 of those 20 inches….

22. Urban Mama says:

I can’t believe you have so much snow. Nada down here in NYC. Maybe we can FedEx you some supplies ;-)
    Happy New Year!

23. Lisa says:

WOW! I can’t believe how much snow you’re getting. I’m in NY, by Buffalo, and I was just thinking how mild our winter has been. You must’ve got some of ours.

And LMAO at the cookies that attached to your ass. I feel that way with all the crap I ate over the holidays.

24. Jody says:

Oh my gosh! You are such a nice wife! Blek on the snow plows piling up that mountain for you.

I would imagine that is the snow storm that is following Bill on his trip home. He is somewhere in Arkansas right now, so I assume he is far enough south now to have avoided it. Whew.

Now, you have used up enough calories to eat some more cookies. It is the law of physics. Right?

25. Alice H says:

Last time we had a snow that made it so we couldn’t leave the house (the snow was above my husband’s Eclipse, and the drifts were so high that my dog feet were at the top of our privacy fence, peering into the neighbors’ yard), we ran out of Desitin. And of course, my son had the worst diaper rash of his life.

Some friends of ours ran out of diapers. Their son ended up getting potty trained over those few days.

I keep saying I’m going to buy some snowshoes. We’re only four short blocks from our nearest 24-hour grocery store, so it would be nice to be able to get there if we run out of something.

26. B.E.C.K. says:

Wow. My family lived in Chicago until I was 11. I remember the snow being fun for us kids, but now that I’m a parent, I can definitely see how hard it can be. Thinking happy, thawing thoughts for you. :-)
    Oh, and Alice, about diaper rash: If you’re out of Desitin, you might try olive oil or vitamin E oil (whatever oil you have that’s thicker than baby oil). When my son was a baby, I used a vinegar/water solution (to neutralize) to wipe his bottom, and put vitamin E oil (a barrier) on afterward, but my friend used olive oil with successful results. She did say her son’s bottom smelled like a little bit like a salad, though. ;^)

27. kalisah says:

holy crap. You SHOVELED SNOW??? You’re amazing.

28. A says:

woa! where the heck do you live? it rained for a thousand days here in So Cal and i thought it would never stop.

way better than mediocre, what with the BAKING BREAD AND SHOVELING SNOW.

hang in there, Ms. Donner.

29. Annalise says:

“But it’s mediocre Mom and Wife day and I made a hearty stew for dinner and baked bread, which in my book puts me ahead of the game.”

Damn right it puts you ahead of the game ;-) When I bake bread I expect much adulation and praise from all adults and children in the household. And if I were to shovel snow (not that I am ever likely to have to) I would expect … I don’t know. Outright worship I guess.

30. toxic mold says:

Mold or Mildew… I would like you to know about toxic mold. If you are getting sick often. Visit ..http://moldnhome.com . If You see black powder looking dust on your walls or floors that could be the toxic mold I’m Talking about.. This can be cleaned with bleach most of the time but beware of how you clean and dispose of the paper towel that you use.