Another Reason I Should Play The Lottery

Another Reason I Should Play The Lottery

January 5, 2006

Last night Rob stopped at the grocery store on his way home from work. I love when he goes grocery shopping. It’s like Christmas when he gets home and I go through all the bags, searching for a good snack.

It also saves us money. He writes a list and he does not deviate from that list one iota. He is not tempted by sales, or snacks, or the gathering-impulsive buying gene. His plan is singular in purpose. Find the items on the list as quickly as possible and get out of there.

He got home around 9:00pm and I rummaged through the bags found a box of granola and went back to the sunroom, or freezing cold room as it would be more aptly named this time of year, and sat down munching away. A few minutes later Rob came in the room and flopped down beside me. Neither of us made a move to deal with the groceries.

Finally Rob broke, “Do you need some help putting the groceries away?”

“Uh, no I don’t need any help, do you?”

A few more minutes passed.

“Do you want some help putting away the groceries?”

“Is this your way of asking me to get my lazy butt up off of the couch and put them away?”

“You said it, not me.”

***

More time passes and we are both still holding out, hoping the other person breaks first.

“My friend asked me if I wanted to go to (the big professional basketball game) tomorrow night. Would you mind if I go?”

“What do I get? Hmmm?”

“What do you want? Sex?” he asked hopefully.

I eventually recovered from laughing, “How about you put the groceries away?”

“Is that really what you want? Do you really think that is a fair exchange?”

“Yes and yes.” I answered.

Rob let out a big long sigh. “Forget it then. I’ll tell him I can’t go.”

“Suit yourself. I wish there was a place that would deliver your groceries AND put them away.”

“There is. It’s called heaven.”

Comments

1. speckledpup says:

this conversation could have absolutely have taken place in our house.
    I make the children put the groceries away.
    I don’t know what we’ll do when the kids move out.

2. TheMartins says:

Are you sure you weren’t at my house?

So something that would be said between me and my husband! LOL…

Is he going to the game? ;)

3. Lisa says:

Wow , you have more kids thanI do( I have 4 girls and 1 boy ) !!!

If I let my husband do the shopping he would come home with $1000 dollars worth of junk food and I would have to put it away !!!

P.s Your children are almost as cute as mine !!!

4. Paisley says:

I hate to grocery shop with my husband because I don’t list the things the way he does and he totally stresses me out. He wants to get IN and OUT and I have to cruise each aisle to make sure I don’t forget anything.

I love your holiday pics. CUTE KIDS!!

5. Flutter says:

I hate grocery shopping, but I hate putting them away even more!

6. Jürgen Nation says:

I came home tonight to find a surprising sight. I thought I had died on the commute home and came back to the apartment as an angel or something. Matt was…okay, sit down…SCRUBBING THE BATHROOM FROM TOP TO BOTTOM. Chris! It smells like a flowery blend of bleach and clean!

There is a God, and I’m not sure what I did to deserve this, but hell. I’ve got a clean bathroom and I’m not the one who had to do it. WOOOOOOT!

7. Jürgen Nation says:

PS: hold out for as long as you can. Eventually he’ll need something and get sick of stooping over and rifling through the bags to find it. ;)

8. MamaGeph says:

Mr. MG has the same shopping gene as your husband. Other than maybe a candy bar (scarfed on the way home so he won’t have to share)he gets only what’s on the list. I see a list as a mere suggestion of what we can not live without.

But I try not to have him put it away. We disagree on where things go, and I want to be able to find the food.

9. Annalise says:

We have a rule - first one to mention a chore has to take care of it. It’s often quite silent round here ;-)

10. Meg says:

That’s what I learned at Vacation Bible School as a kid: heaven is where people put away your groceries for you. Bad people get sent to Hell, but then they get bussed up to heaven every week to put away good people’s groceries in their heaven houses.

11. Jody says:

Just move the groceries (assuming there are perishables in the bags) into the cold room and then you won’t have to put them away until spring!

12. JeepGirl says:

I don’t mind the grocery shopping probably cause my husband likes to help. We do the coupon thing and he has the kids help and makes it like a scav. hunt. I think it makes him proud that he has developed this procedure and saved money. But I do agree, it sucks putting groceries away. For some odd reason the 5 year old loves to help doing that. I agree with one of the other readers, I don’t know what I’ll do when the kids leave either. I use them a lot to get things around the house. Oh well . . .

13. Jodi says:

I like putting the groceries away simply because it is the one minute the shelves in the pantry resemble a full shelf. It doesn’t take long for us to eat it all and then I am staring at empty shelves again.

My husband would have pulled the sex card too and I would have had the same response. LOL

14. Kristen says:

LOL. It must be a universal hatred to put one’s groceries away. What is about that chore? The futility of knowing the kids are going to blow through all that food within two days anyway, and then you’ll have to clean it all up again? I don’t know, but I hate it too. I think it’s hilarious that you guys were playing a mental game of chicken over it. Haha!

15. owlhaven says:

The kids put away the groceries at my house too!

If it got to unbearable, you could always throw the bags out in all that snow, and call it good. “mom, where is the soy milk?!” Outside sweetheart! In the snow, frozen I am sure!” LOL..I do hate putting it all away, but I guess I do enjoy shopping for it. A shopping list? What is that? Your husbands response is one mine would come up with.

17. Peyton says:

I just found your blog - love it!

My husband absolutely refuses to go grocery shopping, so in return, I absolutely refuse to put the groceries away. It’s a good exchange. :-)

18. Anonymous says:

Hi, I was out blogging and found your site. It certainly got my attention and interest. I was looking for Seafood information and even though this isn’t a perfect match I enjoyed your site. Thanks for the read!