Why I Hate Winter Reason # 697

Why I Hate Winter Reason # 697

February 1, 2006

That thing called “black ice” which for all you people living in warm sunshiny places, is ice that you can’t see until you drive over it or step on it.

This afternoon while we were out the temperature dropped. Unbeknownst to me, the water that was on my front steps froze.

I slipped and fell down the steps holding the baby, the diaper bag, and my camera. MY CAMERA, people. And my children, who obviously inherited their empathetic tendencies from me, just stood in the door way looking at me. And when I yelled, “Hello? Do you see me lying here on the ground?” One of them had the gall to reply, “I thought you meant to do that.”

This prompted a stream of language from my mouth that probably made me elderly neighbor blush. I’m sorry Dottie. Sometimes you just gotta say… well you heard me the first time.

The baby was fine. The camera was fine. But my tailbone is killing me.

Yet another reason I need to live somewhere warm.

Comments

1. WriteWingNut says:

Ouch!! My son broke my tailbone coming out of me in childbirth and I know it hurts! I hope it’s just sore and not broken…it takes a long time to heal if it’s broken.

Too bad you didn’t accidentally snap a photo with your camera while you were falling. THAT would’ve been an excellent blog photo to post, lol!

2. aka meritt says:

Whew! Sure am glad the camera is fine. ;)

3. jurgen nation says:

Oh. MyGOD. “I thought you meant to do that??” AAHAH! The Witty McWitterson children take after you, no?

4. B.E.C.K. says:

I fell on my tailbone while playing kickball when I was a kid, and I know that ain’t fun. Hope you’re feeling better soon!

5. Liz says:

Yikes. Glad you and the baby (and the camera) are OK.

Somewhere between your black ice and our heatwave would be a nice place to live…

cheers, Liz in Australia

6. Jordana says:

I know you fear that country music will eat your soul, but you just need to move down here to Tennessee and keep me company.

I hope you heal up soon. Ouch.

7. Melora says:

Yikes! As a life-long Florida girl who is Dreaming of moving Up North (location undecided), that is exactly the sort of winter danger that worries me. Slipping on ice, freezing because I forget to turn on the heat, losing control of the car while driving, etc. I’m So glad the baby (and you and the camera!) is okay, and I hope your tailbone recovers quickly.
    Cordially,
    Melora

8. Sleeping Mommy says:

Oh no! I can just see it and I think I would have had to snatch a child bald-headed had it been one of mine to make that little observation. Of course it would have been my own fault because I make those kinds of observations all the time.

Hope your butt feels better soon. ;)

9. "D" says:

can’t stop laughing here…”i thought you meant to do that!” Your killing me… killing me! And poor Dottie…giggle… but seriously, my husband broke his tailbone once and it does indeed take a while to feel better, poor you!

10. wordgirl says:

I thought you MEANT to do that???? Oh my God that’s funny!

11. Alissa says:

salt in your wound… we’re having some goegeous weather round these parts (Florida)… glad your camera is ok!

12. Ms. Mamma says:

yeow! what writewingnut said! i feel for you too, i’m just south of the Yukon. at least the baby likes to see me snowblow for him. cheers!

13. Trish says:

I fell down the stairs at home here a couple weeks before x-mas, cracked my rear right on the edge of a step. It still hurts. I did laugh though after the hysterical crying jag was over. Hope you feel better soon.

14. Flutter says:

oh no…well I am glad everyone is ok. Sorry your tailbone is hurting!

I HATE BLACK ICE!

Wow, that is scary. Anything tail bone related is not my cup of tea. I live in Arizona where its hotter than heck on any given day May through October. We have such “beautiful” weather here that I bet your neighbor Dottie and a few of her close elderly friends may even own a 2nd home here. They would be called ‘winter visitors” or “snowbirds”. Yes its warm, yes we dont have black ice. However I still managed to pass out once waiting in line, holding my baby, minus the camera, due to extreme heat. My reason to live somwhere cold. I would like to find a place with a happy medium. Does that place exist?? LOL

16. innovation harbor says:

better visit your chiropractor!

17. Lauren says:

Sorry about your butt, although your kids comment was hilarious.

18. Meg says:

Oh no! I hope your booty feels better soon…

I’m sure we’re related. Our children think alike.

20. Jessica says:

OUCH. Sounds very painful. The fall and the comment.