The Sound Of Brain Matter Oozing Out

The Sound Of Brain Matter Oozing Out

February 9, 2006

Did you hear that sound? It was the sound of my head being repeatedly bashed against the wall.

I am trying to take portraits of my children so that I can frame them for Rob. Do I need to explain further? Probably not, if you are a parent.

But I will. Thus far my 6 yr old has wanted to be photographed with his paper airplane and kept putting it in front of his face every time I pointed the camera at him. And I don’t know why my screaming doesn’t make for a lovely shot, really I don’t.

And my 11 yr old says that getting your picture taken is stupid.
When I asked how stupid being grounded was, he reconsidered.

Three down, four to go.

God help me.

Updated to add:

Okay all done. Is it really sad that the one year old was the most co-operative? And I had to take his photos while trying to prevent him from throwing himself off of the couch and on to the hard tile floor.

I got lots of photos like this:

More silliness

Click on it to be brought to the set of them on flickr.

Comments

1. Heth says:

Posed photos = mom screaming.

It’s a law of the universe, at least at our house. Good luck with that.

2. Jody says:

I am sending “Be still and smile dangit” vibes to you today.

I feel your pain!

3. Silly Old Bear says:

Say no more.

Hell, I can’t get the DOG (the one that lays around all. day. long.) to sit still to have her picture taken.

The kids I don’t even try anymore.

4. Erin says:

I have a lot of pictures of my little boy reaching out his hand to grab my camera with a devilish smile on his face.
    Good luck…

5. Melissa says:

I understand fully, and I feel for you. Maya strikes a pose like she is Madonna everytime the camera is even out. And Nata moves at the last second, so I eighty katrillion pictures of the side and top of her head. When she is an adult and asks me why there are no pictures of her, why they are all of her sister, I will hand her a box of pictures of the top of her head.

Trying to take “framable” photographs of your children can be very exhausting. I have posted a couple on my site, if you want to come see! ;)They taken for the almight Christmas cards! F.U.N.

7. JenLo says:

The only chance you have is to wait until they are sleeping or watching tv. Do the sleeping one unless you want them “zoned out”

8. HolyMama! says:

Those are some seriously pretty children. (And dimples!)

9. InterstellarLass says:

What great photos! Mine make the same faces.

10. Woman with kids says:

I sympathize. My boys will have noooo idea what they looked like as kids, every stinkin’ shot has someone’s hand in front of their brother’s face or is blurry.

11. Meg says:

Chris, there are some GORGEOUS photos in there. But there are some definite “Calvin and Hobbes” moments, too…

12. elismsue says:

You have a real sense of photography. Your pics are simply beautiful. The children could be models. Grgeous children, caught being children. I’ve enjoyed the visit.

13. nabbalicious says:

I’m saying, your kids could totally be models. I’m just bowled over at how gorgeous they all are! Yes, even when they’re making crazy faces!

14. MamaGeph says:

How is it that you can have seven kids and not one of the bunch is anything but preternaturally beautiful?! Yikes, you guys must have some powerful genes.

15. The Doggy Did It says:

WOW, your kids are amazingly beautiful!! I bet your oldest son already has the girls calling!!

I feel your pain, I can’t get my 2 year old to stop trying to grab the camera long enough to take a decent picture of him…we will call these the lost years.

16. Tammie says:

OMG, those boys of yours are so handsome, they are going to break some hearts when they get old. And your daughter? She’s going to have to beat the boys away with a stick! :) Great photos, thanks so much for sharing. They are just the best looking kids!!

your children are beautiful! all of them, and all so different. you are one talented photographer to capture that.

thanks for sharing!

18. Liz says:

Lovely photos, and gorgeous kids!

I kinda like the silly ones, too. My all-time favourite photo of my 8yo is one where her hair is all over the place, she’s pulling a hideous face, and wearing a tee with the slogan, I Love Being Me. Not exactly grandmother-friendly, but it’s Just. So. Her. *g*

19. Jamie says:

I barely survived my girls’ first portrait session back in October and I only have TWO. The baby tried to eat dirt/rocks/leaves/ the entire time. You’ve got one gorgeous gaggle of children. I don’t know how you do it!

20. Anonymous says:

your kids look like models, great pics!! I really enjoy your blog

21. Carmen says:

Ok, I’m NOT your friend anymore.

Your kids are TDF, especially teh dimples. And you are an amazing photographer!

Oh, dear….I feel your pain, sister. We have a group shot made for Christmas every year. I have given up on a really GOOD picture. I have learned to settle for one where everyone is looking at the camera and no one is crying :)

Having actually looked at the pictures, I have to comment again…your children are gorgeous. You are the opposite of me, with the one girl and the housefull of boys! :)

24. wendy says:

AMAZING photos of some very gorgeous children! Do yo mind telling me what kind of camera you use?

25. Chris says:

Thank you for all the compliments. The lighting in my sunroom is really conducive to good picture color.

Wendy I have a Kodak Z740. I am very pleased with it, though I still lust after the Nikon D70 or Canon Rebel.

26. Jessica says:

I think the photos looked great. I love candid photos of children.

27. wendy says:

Thanks for the camera info Chris.

We used to lust after the Canon Rebel, too. My husband surprised me with Nikon D50 for Christmas (huge shock to me!) and I love, love, love it. People (as in friends and family) are always asking me what cameras are good, so I’ll remember to add yours to my list. The photos are so clear and beautiful! It doesn’t hurt that you have some seriously good-looking kids, either! ;-)

28. harvestmoon says:

boo hoo! I can’t see the pictures. Chris, is it over? Is that I meant to you? Just to use and abuse? I’m crushed. I thought we HAD something. I belived all your pretty words and then you slap me in the face with a photo tease?

(goes off to find some beer to cry into)