A Letter

A Letter

February 15, 2006

To my 14 month old son,

I am sorry that I appeared overly excited about you sleeping through the night a few days ago. I deeply regret writing about it and appearing to be thrilled about spending less time with you during the middle of the night. That is not the case.

How could I ever not want to spend quality time with you, in the dark, while the rest of the eastern seaboard is sound asleep? I so enjoy your company that I am completely willing to sacrifice my precious few hours of sleep and the tenuous grasp I have on my sanity in order to be awake with you.

Now can you please stop waking up every hour on the hour ALL NIGHT long to show me the error of my ways. Please.

I hope this apology is sufficient. If not tell me what additional penance I must do to win your favor, preferably during daylight hours.

Love,
Your very sleep deprived mother

PS- Before you think of disregarding this apology and making a habit of the night waking, I want to remind you that I have a crib and an attic, and I am not afraid to use them.

PSS- Yes I realize that it is cold in the attic and that I would be very cramped in that small crib, don’t make me do it.

Comments

1. Carolyn says:

I am “not” saying that I was jealous the other day, but lets just say that my soon to be 3yr old still does NOT sleep through the night. You can draw you own conclusions. ;-) I am saying that I am right there with you and hope that the apology is sufficient to get you back in his good graces!

PS I love your blog! I have been reading it for about 4-5 months and it is great.

2. Meg says:

Sophia woke up constantly last night, so I feel your pain. Well, I guess you know the truth that she actually sleeps most of the time, so I won’t crow about it here…;)

i feel your pain.

join me in my nighttime chant: “this won’t last forever. it won’t last forever.”

4. owlhaven says:

Sympathy here too. My baby woke 3 times last night and my 3 year old climbed in our bed four times. (4th time we gave up and let her stay…) Can you say sardine??? Yawn.
    Mary

5. bogmol says:

Chris,

Please don’t hate me, but both of my kids sleep through the night. You see, I have teenagers, and they both can’t seem to get enough sleep; but I love your blog!!!! Your sense of humor is great!!! Thanks for the laughs!

6. Rachelle says:

I am so so sorry. I hope you get more than an hour of sleep again soon. I’ve been there, just last week.

7. halloweenlover says:

Send Miles to me! I’ll watch him and his adorable cheeks for a couple of days so that you can sleep.

Can you bribe him with candy?

8. falwyn says:

I’m very sorry. It’s really scary what sleep-deprivation can do to one’s total sanity and functionality — convert it to “lack thereof” for example. I LOVE LOVE LOVE the postscripts. You rock.

9. Ms. Mamma says:

Rock on, sista! That is a very NICE twist on the typical cheese!

10. O_Scientist says:

Sylvia just decided to be awake from 1am to 5am or so last night…

I feel your sleep deprivation!

I would send sleeping vibes, but not like we have any here.

Karen

11. Liz says:

Oh no… A while back, I formulated Blog’s Law of Babies: as soon as you blog about your baby’s sleeping habits, s/he will change them.

And yes, it is 4am over here. The fact that I am awake and checking blogs may have something to do with my eleven month old’s sleep patterns, too. I really couldn’t say ;-)

12. melissaL says:

I’ll admit that I was sick with jealousy! Lily’s a year and she’s never, ever slept through the night. Maybe it’s because she’s still nursing? Anyway, I’ll bring my own crib if I can use your attic.

13. novaks8 says:

too funny!

I was also up at 4 am.

I have my eyes propped up with toothpicks ala Tom&Jerry right now.

14. moe says:

I never ever speak the words out loud…

If my kids sleap well or for a few days in the winter they DON’T have a runny nose and a cough, I keep it to myself.

Murpy is listening. Praise the sleep Gods, knock wood and throw salt over my shoulder.

15. B.E.C.K. says:

I fell asleep on the couch while watching TV last night, and awoke to find my five-year-old asleep on my legs.

16. B.E.C.K. says:

Whoops! Meant to add — so I don’t think I can offer you any suggestions. :-)

17. Debbie says:

Uh well I just give him Juniour Nurofen if mines wakes up too much… works for me…

18. Debbie says:

Thats painkiller btw

19. Debbie says:

OK Chris, this is something I wanted to ask you a long while now:

You are a homeschooling Mom (read: genius). For other homeschooling Moms out there could you please from time to time blog something about that. Methods/resources/how things turn out etc. I would be very interested to read that and I think others would too.

Plus how you keep the tinies occupied whislt educating the others would be good too!

Thanks

20. Sherri Wilkerson says:

Clearly it is time for your husband to don the manboob ala “Meet the Fockers”!!!!! That way, you could at least sleep all night in your cramped, cold space!!

21. InterstellarLass says:

Benadryl. That’s all I’m saying.

22. Melissa says:

You would be cramped in the crib. That was so funny. Just remember that he won’t do it forever. I know you know that already, but I needed to hear it sometimes when my youngest woke up all the time.