If He Gets A College Scholarship One Day I Will Consider All The Aggravation Worth It, Maybe

March 1, 2006

“I swear you will argue with me about anything, just for the sake of being contrary. It doesn’t matter what it is. If I said the sky was blue, you would tell me it wasn’t”

“Well, Mom. Sunlight is made up of all different colors of light, but the color blue is scattered much more efficiently in our atmosphere than the other colors. The sky is actually not blue, it only appears that way.”

“That was just an example.”

“Yes it was. And who was wrong? Uh-huh, I thought so.”

Help.

Comments

1. Rachelle says:

Oh. My. Goodness. What a smart child!

2. Dot says:

I have one like that and I sooooo feel your pain!! Here’s hoping that they have children just like them!

Dot

3. The Grouchy Old Yorkie Lady says:

Oh dear.

I have one of those at home too. I am sorry to tell you that there is no help for this affliction. You’re stuck.

4. Claudia says:

Your very own little astro-physicist. …..and he’s funny too. Yes, someday you’ll probably be glad he’s such a smarty pants…..

5. Jessica says:

I have one just like that. I constantly tell him he will make a great attorney some day.

6. Kata from Budapest says:

It is all your fault: you should have sent him to regular school instead of homeschooling. Be proud!!!

7. moe says:

How old is that kid and what is he reading? Maybe I should be homeschooling.

My 15yo can be wrong, completely wrong, know she is wrong, and still continue to argue her point. This is usually terminated by her sticking out her toung. And she is my smart kid… Oh dear.

8. Jordana says:

Heh. No help from me, but lots of sympathy. My 6 year old already sounds like that.

9. Wicked Stepmom says:

Smart kid! You know, this could play out well for you later in life. I’d tell him he can be right all he wants as long as he puts his brilliance to good work, gets a good job and supports you in the manner to which you would like to become accustomed.

10. Lisa says:

I have a couple like that. I plan on visiting them when they have good jobs in a warm sunny locale and making their lives miserable.

what is he reading? and why didn’t my parents make me read it when i was a kid?

12. Erin says:

Yikes.
    I know I’m in trouble too–my almost 3 year-old is already smarter than me.

13. novaks8 says:

haha

Hey YOU are his teacher!

Alternate patting yourself on the back and kicking yourself in the butt!

hey that can be a new workout!

14. j says:

am I the only one who would smack their kid for the “who was wrong? huh?” part?

15. HolyMama! says:

um, WOW.

I have 1 that is ‘oppositional for the sake of being oppositional’ (as the professionals tell me), amd 1 who just sincerely believes that he knows everything there is to know. Sounds like you got both of those attributes in the same kid. Hang in there!

16. Anonymous says:

nope J, i would too… i often wonder why on earth she lets her kids get away with what she does… the chore thing, the smart mouths, eeek my kids would be SO dead.

17. Silly Old Bear says:

I could have sworn I dropped that child off at school this morning. I’ll be right over. Sorry!

18. Gigglin' And Screamin' says:

Well, I know how that is, except I’m thinking I’ve got about 3 so far out of six, but I have a feeling there will be more of those blooming soon! What do you do? Say,” Wow, you are really smart!” That’s all he’s trying to prove anyways. And besides isn’t that what we want our kids to be? It’s better than having battles to get him to just plain read instead of play video games or watch T.V.! Long term thinking is the way to go when you got a lot of kids! Those lamaze classes weren’t just for labor I have found out! I use it more now than ever. Hee Hee hoooh! Breathe in, breathe out! Or something like that! Have a great Day mother of a genious!

19. Ficklechick says:

I think someone has a future lawyer on their hands!

20. Anonymous says:

Oh crap, that was me as a kid. I love to argue. Don’t worry, he will definetly be the kid who has a great job someday. Just keep telling yourself that. And I just have to comment to J’s comment - and macking a kid does what exactly? Just teaches them to hit. Maybe Chris is raising her kids to be independent thinkers. Sometimes they say things you don’t want to hear. And this thing won’t let me be anything but Anonymous, but my name is melissa and my site is http://www.issasworld.typepad.com

21. Renee says:

that’s too funny. I have 2 stubborn daughters, but they haven’t learned enough scientific facts yet, to argue with me on EVERYTHING!

22. Chris says:

“j” and anonymous,

To me being an adult means that I have developed enough self control not to smack people across the face just because they aggravate me.

And I’m not sure what is meant by the “chore” thing. But whatever.

My kids are good kids. They are smart and funny. I always get compliments on their behavior when we are out.

23. Jen says:

Hmmm…you have my kid…and here I thought I took him to preschool this afternoon! I keep saying he’s gonna do something big in this world to justify me not killing him before his fifth birthday! LOL

24. kalisah says:

holy crap. He knew that? I can hardly wait to hear what all he knows when he’s a teenager.

25. Darren says:

You’ve done your job too well.

26. Mindy says:

Exhibit A.

I feel you, sister.

27. The Daring One says:

I like the “maybe” tacked on the end there. You are in some trouble, woman.

28. Audrey says:

My oldest is like this, but he does know that he is to respect me if he likes eating. Perhaps that is what J and anonymous ment. We all tolerate different things, for instance my 5 boys can be running around the house and power driving each other, but they better be quite while they are doing it….and just to clear something up “no” being hit as a child dosent breed a hitter, or else I would be knocking everyone out all the time. Just my 2 cents.

29. kate says:

That’s great. Your kids rock. I hope, when I have some, that I do half as good a job.

30. Gail Martin says:

Have you thought of sending him to Space Camp? I am serious. He might enjoy it.

Since he is so knowledgable about how light is dispersed in the atmosphere, perhaps he should create an experiment for his younger siblings to demonstrate how sunlight is dispersed. The experiment must be hands on for them. There will be a time limit. Any and all messes resulting from this experiment will be his responsibility to clean. His grade will reflect how well he does not only in creating the experiment but in staying within the time constraints and cleaning up afterwards.

31. Dana says:

Maybe he and my DS should pair up and rule the world! he hee

32. Amy says:

I feel your pain too. My oldest is like that, just not that smart, lol.