Ten Years Ago

Ten Years Ago

March 2, 2006

Ten years ago I left the world of parents outnumbering their children and became a mother of two. Looking over the photographs and deciding what to write about for my son on his birthday has made me realize what an injustice photographs do for the experience.

We all look so happy and clean. You can’t tell in the photographs that I hadn’t slept for days or showered for weeks, or was it the other way around. Probably because there are very few photographs of me from that time since I was constantly in sweats with my hair tied back into a ponytail, and who wants to be remembered looking like that. So very unlike now.

Shut-up.

But I came across this photograph and in the interest of keeping it real, THIS is what it was like most days to have two babies 15 months apart. The crying in unison, the spitting up, the pacifier that Baby #1 kept pulling out of the mouth of Baby #2

roband2babies

It’s a wonder I had any more kids.

Comments

1. joy madison says:

my next younger brother and I are 14 months apart….it was an accident to say the least, since I cried steadily for 4 months!!! ACK! My brother Joel, though, was a perfect baby, and then she had 3 more:) so I guess she forgot that I cried so much:)

2. joy madison says:

oh by the way, HAPPY BIRTHDAY BUDDY!!!

3. Flutter says:

They are still adorable in that picture!

What beautiful boys!

Happy Birthday to the 10 year old!

4. J says:

“It’s a wonder I had any more kids.”

I think the answer to that little quandry is laying right there in the middle of those two babies ;)

5. Mary Poppins NOT says:

My first two were 15 months apart, also. It was quite a ride. I also now have seven children, so apparently all that lack of sleep disrupts the short term memory. Does it seem like 10 years ago?

6. Meg says:

Man, it must be like birthday party cenral at your house ALL THE TIME! Have some cake (or wine) for me…

7. CooksonMom says:

It looks like you didn’t have time to shave either!! LOL

Thank goodness for lack of sleep and fogetting those NON Kodak moments!! They’re beautiful!

8. courtney says:

Haha I was just thinking about that today…the whole having kiddos close together-mine are 21 months apart and I can only imagine subtracting 6 months from that! You are strong woman and a brave woman-I salute you!!! Oh and a Happy Big 10 to your boy:)

9. Citizen Mom says:

Chris your babies are gorgeous. This picture is priceless. Happy Birthday “10 year old”!

10. Dana says:

OH! I can so relate to this. My first 2 are 14 months apart. The last 2 are 17 months apart. The only way I really remember them (due to sleep deprivation and post partum depression) is through the pictures. And we have lots that look like this one-except I have boobs and my beard isn’t as thick. :)

11. "D" says:

Love the photo - its so real. Life isn’t the clean and rosy cheeked babies - it’s the overflowing toilets and colic!

12. Chris says:

Bwahahaha!! Yes now everyone knows I have a tiny bit of a facial hair problem ;-)

13. novaks8 says:

lol
    I have a picture of my 6′2″ son like the baby on the right!

I may post it on his birthday this weekend.

Is your husband as handsome as his chin looks?

14. halloweenlover says:

Happy Birthday!!! That picture is too funny. I look forward (kind of) to moments like that.

15. Ms. Mamma says:

Great photograph! Chris, I think you should make your “contact me” link into something like a Red Cross icon. It would be cool and have almost a duofold meaning considering the new look! Good vibes and Feliz Cumpleanos, chiquitito!

16. The Daring One says:

Forget about the sweats and ponytails. You need to shave more. Have you tried the Gilette Quatro. It has 4 blades, you know?

Adoreable pictures of the kids. Some of my favorite pictures are taken in those “real life” moments when we stop living life for just a second and capture it. My favorite is one of Dan’s grandma trying to hold Laylee and laylee screaming at her like she was the evil Santa Clause. Grandma has curlers in her hair and this bewildered look on her face like, “What is your PROBLEM kid?”

17. Hope Wilbanks says: