In Which I Ponder The Merits Of Buying A Rascal*

In Which I Ponder The Merits Of Buying A Rascal*

March 3, 2006

Limp, limp limp. I am still limping around with my bum knee.

It was sore before last Saturday, when I fell off of my boots, from running. It was sore, but not particularly painful, for about a week.

I know that proper footwear is important. And one would think that since I was going to be running/walking/gasping for breath for 2 miles that I would not be so lazy as to not walk upstairs and get my running sneakers. But I am that lazy. That additional 100ft or so really might kill me.

But now I have learned my lesson. Walking fast in Birkenstock clogs is not a good idea. Neither is kicking them off to run barefoot. I am in the market for a new good pair of sneakers. Cross trainers? Is that what I would want for walking and running?

Anyway, today I did what anyone with a computer does and consulted with Dr Google** about my knee.

I have diagnosed myself with chondromalcia. Also known as runner’s knee. That pleases me (the name not the injury) as it makes me sound way more athletic than I actually am. Look at me I am a runner, I have runner’s knee to prove it!

It’s also has the nickname of “housemaid’s knee” which I don’t like at all, though it is probably a much more accurate description of my life.

And “secretary’s knee” which is just odd. It makes me think of this movie . If that is what causes secretary’s knee then I can understand, but otherwise how does a secretary injure her knee by sitting at a desk all day.

So, no more running for me for awhile. Walking is quite enough. I hope it heals up in time for the wedding next month because I don’t want to wear my new dress with a pair of easy spirit orthopedic shoes. That would just be wrong.

* This is a Rascal. I could be so playfully mischievous riding around on that thing, hitting people in the back of their ankles. I wonder if I could get a child seat attached onto it like people do on bicycles.

**if it still is hurting next week I’ll go to a real in the flesh living doctor

Comments

the funniest part about today’s post is the link at the end of it. i can just see you operating one of those rascals and your kids jumping on and off. i’ll bet they make that beeping sound when you back up. ha ha.

what if you showed up at the wedding in one of those, and easy spirits? then all the other guests could whisper to one another behind their hands, “she’s the one with the seven children,” and nod knowingly.

that would be terrible. i am so hoping you show up in that sexy new dress and the highest heels you can handle without falling down so that they all whisper, “but she CAN’T be the one with the seven kids! just look at her. there’s no way!”

2. Annie says:

I also have the same knee problem. My FIL is a physical therapist and told me I need to strengthen my quads. So, try riding a bike, stationary or otherwise. It helps. Of course, I’m not a doctor, so you should probably find out exactly what’s going on before you screw it up even more with unsolicited medical advice from a running housemaid.

Hope it feels better soon.

3. "D" says:

if I were you, I’d just give up exersizing all together now - I mean, you can’t really afford to be injured or anything now can you? (hey, any excuse….)

4. halloweenlover says:

My mom has a teacher at her school that is pregnant with twins, and she keeps pressuring her to buy one of those! But in California they call it a Lark. I keep telling my mom that the pregnant woman is likely to get offended at some point, considering that my mom says “But you are SO BIG! You need one!”

I think Josh has that too. He has been hobbling around, and couldn’t play in his second day of the soccer tournament. Hmmm.

5. halloweenlover says:

And Jennifer, THERE IS NOTHING WRONG WITH EASY SPIRITS.

I’m just sayin’.

6. lipstickface says:

Oh yeah - Easy Spirits are CRUNK!

what?

I say forgo the Rascal and get one of those two wheeler things that Joel rides around on in Arrested Development. You could put the baby in a wagon and tie it onto the back or something to pull him around.

7. Liz says:

LOL. My 8yo just told me the other day that she wanted me to get one of those scooters. She thought we should get a baby seat too, then she and the 1yo could hang on the back as we pootled down the road. Hmm, stylish…do they come in purple?

8. Jamie says:

I’m thinking “Pimp My Rascal” could be a big MTV hit! And I consult Dr. Google, too. :) Hope you find time to shop for good running shoes (I like New Balance) and recuperate.

9. Libragirl says:

I have chondromalcia. I’ve had it since I’m little. My knee grew wrong. Most everyone has it. It’s a fun pain… NOT

Get a scooter. It would be awesome.

10. Becki says:

same here. I was diagnosed about a month ago. same thing as Anne. have to strenghten my quads. does your knee crack and pop when you go up stairs like mine? My knee stopped hurting after a few weeks and I haven’t had any problems with it other than the cracking and popping but I’m afraid to start running or doing the stair climber at high incline again for a while. My doc said not to use a brace while exercising because the whole point is to get the knee cap back into place and a brace will stop that. good luck!

11. Kristen says:

When you DO decide to run again, I recommend Izumi Pearls (running shoes)…they are expensive, but so worth it. I used to have knee/shin problems from running. After I got those shoes, no more issues. They ROCK.

12. Kristen says:

Oops, I’m an idiot. They’re Pearl Izumis, not Izumi Pearls. I wear them every day, but apparently never LOOK at them. Duh.

13. Maliavale says:

I was having knee problems recently from running, too, and had about three diagnoses from Dr. Google. The best thing to do, it sounds like, for you would be to get a good pair of running shoes (I love Asics, too, but to each her own) that are suited to your feet (runnersworld.com should have some info about pronation and arches and whatnot) and ice it after running. And see the doc if it gets worse; all the diagnoses I had come up with turned out to be way off when I finally went.

Then again, just stopping running could work, too. ;-)

14. Amy says:

I’ll take “secretary’s knee” at the expense of James Spader any old day.

But I’m wierd like that.

15. lauiremom says:

Hi Chris I’m new here just found your Blog thru Becki very nice reading love the humor of course I had to go read Forty before Forty. So good I’m turning 44 next month so i had a good laugh at your ideas to do before your forty. I’ll be back. :)

16. Wicked Stepmom says:

Exhibit B: At least you HAVE a front porch. Husband likes to toss the bags on the front lawn with the intention of bringing them to the cans but somehow forgets and will even STEP OVER them to get to his car in the mornings!

Men.

17. bridal shoes says:

I really liked your page today. Good comments. Time to run.