Help Me

Help Me

March 15, 2006

Nothing strikes fear into the heart of a mother of an ADHHHHHHHD (no, not exaggerating that is what the doctor said, really) child as hearing him loudly say, as he opens his bottle of pills, “Hey, I don’t have any more medicine left!” and knowing that you just ordered his three month refill from the mail order pharmacy and it will be several days before it arrives at your house.

And if you are wondering why he didn’t mention this before the bottle was completely empty, I don’t know you’ll have to grab him off the couch he is jumping on and doing back flips off to ask him.

Why didn’t I notice, you ask. Well, I just recently started ordering all our prescriptions from our mail order pharmacy (doesn’t that make us sound like a bunch of druggies? We’re not, I swear.) I have two weeks left of my thyroid medication and assumed that he had two weeks left as well. So certain I was of this that I didn’t even pay the $9 expedited shipping fee.

But I failed to take into account that I had more medication left than he did when we began doing mail order. It’s only 9:30am and if it were possible I would drive 5 states away to try and intercept the mail from the pharmacy.

If anyone wants to debate the issue of giving stimulant medication to children I invite you to have my son come stay with you a few days. Please. Anyone?

Comments

1. owlhaven says:

OH, man, Chris!! SOOOOOO sorry! Can you call the doc and get a nearby pharmacy to give you a couple days’ worth to tide ya over?

Mary, mom to many

i was going to ask the same thing!

3. Lauren says:

I’ll take yours if you will take the 15 year old, moody, grouchy, knows everydangthing, boy who used to have ADHD but now seems to have the energy of a slug. =)

I feel for you. Been in those shoes before. *shudders*

4. Wicked Stepmom says:

Doc should be able to call in an emergency ’script, no?

Our beloved Cinderella is borderline ADD, hubby is ADD and is WHOLEHEARTEDLY against medicating her. This morning, I caught her trying to dump 1/2 a bowl of Cheerios into the dishwasher b/c she “was full.” We caught her dumping them down the sink two days last week. Guess she thinks we woudn’t notice. She’s a sneaky one!

Oh, and now, the dishawasher is making a funny noise as if it’s CLOGGED. Hmm…

5. Tiddlywinks says:

ohhhhhh…I know that feeling. Unfortunately, I send him off to school and pray he doesn’t get suspended…

6. Carmen says:

Chris, call your doc and explain. Odds are good that they may even have some samples that you can take off their hands.

I’ve done that a time (or two or three) with asthma meds.

7. moe says:

Is the weather good? It’s always better to bounce OUTSIDE.

My toddler is sick. My husband just started a new job so we have new insurance, no card yet. I just paid $100 for medecine. And I live in wonderful Canada home of universal health care!

Then again, I am grateful. Consider the health problems our kids could have.

Ok, ok consider it after you get your son back on the drugs.

8. novaks8 says:

wow

My only argument is that ADD ADHD is very overdiagnosed.

But when there is a kid who really DOES have it…they have it!

I have come across a few in teaching and the difference is clear.

I hope you get some medication for him like yesterday!
    lol

Send him to work with Dad!
    haha

9. Kristen says:

I won’t argue with you. I have one (a step-son with ADHD) myself. Problem is, is biological mother doesn’t agree with him taking medication. Hmmm…let him stay with you for a few weeks without meds and we’ll see if that argument changes. (We have custody).

10. 4 girls and 3 boys says:

Every child with ADHD is different. I have a diagnosed ADHD child who has never taken anything but Cognis. In the U.K few HS kids get meds anyway - only teachers don’t have to put up with them lol.
    However I cannot live without him having melatonin. If it is late from the U.S we have nightmare nights. Could you get some meds as an emergency. I am sure the meds shouldn’t just stop. He will be climbing the walls. Like mine is now.

11. Lin says:

I agree with the others…ask the doc for a few days worth of meds. In the meantime, try coffee & duct tape. No really, STRONG coffee. I’m serious. It often has the opposite effect in ADHD children. Wishing you much luck!

12. Ficklechick says:

Been there! I had a friend who had a child on the same meds. She loaned me a few until I could get my prescription.

That might sound bad, but desperate times….. ;)

13. Whinger says:

Hmmmm.

I actually used to teach ADHD kids, and am not kidding when I say that occasionally would recommend that they drink coffee when they ran out of meds.

I’m certain you know this, but its chemical makeup is very similar to ritalin.

But there’s always that risk that the back flips will get a wee bit higher.

14. Ms. Mamma says:

Chris = SuperWoman
    Even SuperWoman is allowed a few whoops’!

15. blackbird says:

People used to reprimand me all the time for not putting Oldest on a medication vacation over the summer –
    CAUSE, YEAH, THAT’S WHEN I WANTED HIM UNMEDICATED, WHILE HE WAS HOME WITH ME 24 -7.

Actually K has adhd too and he took ritalin for a while last year and realized that his coffees (2 I think) in the morning do exactly the same thing -

for what it’s worth…

16. TBG says:

oh NO! Hope that comes soon!

17. Anonymous says:

Sweetie, you are under understandable stress. Like a “bring-it-on”!! thing. Everything will be JUST FINE. You’re a wonderful momma and I’ll lift you up in my prayers. No need to ‘prove’ anything by this reader. Way to go.

Elly

18. Melissa says:

SInce everyone siad what I was going to. Just sell him on Ebay. Actually, my brother is ADHD too. Coffee worked, but calling the pharmacy generally will too. Good Luck.

19. Meg says:

oh no - good luck!

Meg

20. Sorka says:

Well you know.. I would take him. but he would knock heads with mine who is jumping around the room saying.. I can fly!! right now as I type.. Why is it we homeschool again??? OI!
    I think it’s also the weather mixed in.. because we are unmedicatedh here and today is definitely a high energy day..
    Oh yeah.. how about JOLT??
    heheh
    Denise
    Knitchat.com

21. Dot says:

Chris,

I have sooo been there done that. My 14 yo was diagnosed ADHD in elementary school - he was very hyper. We have a different diagnosis now, but I know what it is like when they don’t have their meds. Hugs for you to get thru the day.

And I didn’t know that about the coffee. Going to have to try it this weekend!!!!

22. Anonymous says:

Chris,

23. Silly Old Bear says:

I can feel your pain - we left town on Saturday and forgot our medicine. Sunday I was ready to leave my son on the side of the road so he can walk home.

And on the ‘call the pharmacy’ idea: it may or may not work, depending on the meds. My son’s is a controlled substance (basically, speed) and kept under lock and key. The doctor cannot phone in a prescription, it has to be handwritten on a certain type of form and taken to the pharmacy (that’s texas rules). Also our medical plan won’t let us get more than is actually prescribed since it is a controlled substance. Yucky.

I just grin and bear it, while hiding in the closet.

24. Island Girl says:

Having a son that has adhd AND being in the same situation just last month. I feel for you. Good luck. Let us know how it goes. :)

25. Anonymous says:

How do you get 3 months at a time? I wish I could, but they’ll only give me 30 days worth and I have to go pick the prescription up from the doctor. My son is on Concerta.

Liz

26. Hollie says:

My God, I feel for you!!!! I work in a pharmacy that mails meds to pts, can u call them and tell them to rush it or even transfer to a local pharmacy?

27. Deb says:

oh thank you…you have reminded me to call my family’s in as well!!!

I feel your pain, sista

28. Anonymous says:

Well, I won’t argue that they need their medicine but I do feel very strongly that they need to do more research. My hubby had his first heart attack at 21. Yes, that is 21. After years of being on Ritalin. I just recently read an article about how they think ADHD drugs cause heart problems. They are just starting to find out the long term affects of these drugs.

But anyway…another option if he doesn’t like coffee and you can’t get any samples, is to have him drink a can of Mountain Dew. It does the same thing according to the teachers I work with. Good Luck.

29. Jen says:

Oh NO!!! Beg the doc for help, brew the coffee, and run for the hills! My oldest can be a wild handful, I can’t imagine an ADHD kid w/o meds. Wait, yes I can, I taught middle school…

30. Maddy says:

My youngest son is Autistic and he can have entire days of being totally out of control, loud and unruly. I tend to calm myself, put on some soft gentle music while poring myself a very large scotch …. just kidding.
    Good Luck.

31. Anonymous says:

there are some over the counter herbal remedies that may help a little (in health food stores)
    I’m sure they won’t work as well as the perscription but they may take the edge off until you can get the real thing. I pulled my son out of school to home school him this year (he’s 7) and I give him “school aide”. It helps a little but let me tell ya there are definately days I rethink my decision to try and keep him drug free.

32. Chris says:

to answer some of the questions:

the medication is considered a controlled substance so there are no free samples or just calling it in to the pharmacy. I could have the doctor write a script but I would have to pay for it myself since I just sent away for a 3 mos supply. I may end up going this route.

we have a mail order pharmacy that will fill a 90 day prescription. Not all do for these type of drugs. If you have the mail away pharmacy option it is worth calling them and asking.

re the heart trouble. with any medication there are going to be risks but from the studies I have read they have not found that ritilan type medications cause heart problems and heart attacks, rather if you have an undiagnosed heart condition taking this type of medication could cause additional problems for you.

my son had to have an EKG before he was allowed to begin the medication and has height, weight, and blood pressure checks every three months.

and finally, the myth of over diagnosis. Ritalin and all those drugs are basically speed. For people and children without ADHD it will rev you up and make you more hyper and agitated. It has the reverse effect on people with ADHD because something is different with their brain chemistry.

This is why coffee calms them down. My husband can drink coffee right before bed and sleep soundly.

33. Anonymous says:

canada pharmacy information including links, reviews, ratings and great prescription drugs prices, find out about canada pharmacy.