Hump Day Thoughts

Hump Day Thoughts

March 22, 2006

1) Those post verification random letters that you must type in on some people’s blogs have caused me to think that I am dyslexic because I can never get it right on the first try. Even when I concentrate REALLY hard. Or maybe I need glasses.

2) My five year old is sicker. But he isn’t sick enough to just lay on the couch and watch television. He is sick enough to whine and complain and make us all feel his pain. Alternating with periods of running around playing, screaming temper tantrums, and demanding ginger ale.

And while I do feel bad for him, there is a limit to the number of times I can lovingly stroke his head, murmuring comforting words, while he coughs in my face. I am only human.

I wish that someone would invent an at home strep test, like a home pregnancy test. Because this running to the doctors with everyone, including healthy children, is going to kill me. because, allow me to say it again, I am only human.

3) We finally joined netflix. Yes, I know. I’m always late to the party. The keg has gotten warm and there are no more plastic cups left. But hey, at least I finally made it.

4) How many women watching American Idol last night (yes, I admit that we watch this show, how many family friendly tv shows are there out there?) fell in love with Chris Daugherty when he sang Walk The Line for his wife.

5) Miles bit me while nursing the other day and my boob still hurts. I think I have a clogged milk duct. I will resist dealing with it like I did the last time. I know I need to stop talking about my boobs. But my life is just that exciting that there is little else to talk about, unless you’d like to hear about how I am going to call the library today and renew our books. Yeah, I didn’t think so.

6) Do I need some sort of conclusion to tie this post all up? Because I have none. The End.

Updated to add:
Thanks to k in kc, from the comments, I googled at home strep tests and lo and behold there is an at home strep test kit. here
Much, much, much cheaper than a visit to the doctor. Not to mention the germ free environment of my own home (::snort::) and the saving of my precious little sanity.

Comments

1. Erin-erin-bo-berin says:

I Love Love Love Love Love Netflix!
    It doesn’t matter if your kids talk, shout, or fart during the movie. And the popcorn is so much cheaper!

I’m with you on the word verification. Occasionally, I type it into the comments I leave, just so others can laugh at the absurd (or satanic) combination of letters. It’s like alphabet soup for schizophrenics!

2. Lisa says:

The heaping doctor bills from co-pays. I just finally paid ours off after having a balance for, oh, 3 years. I loved it when we had to switch to Aetna insurance and found out, after 5 out of 6 had their physicals, that well visits weren’t free anymore and there was a $15 co pay. Our dr’s office is SO nice though, and understood us having to carry a balance.

I agree about the strep test. And they need one for ear infections too. I hate having to take them knowing that is going to be the diagnosis - especially since I had a bazillion in my childhood and even two years ago.

3. Lisa says:

Oh, and I forgot - I love Netflix!

4. Courtney says:

I totally agree about American Idol. It’s one of the few shows on in the evening that my daughter and I can watch together and both enjoy. And Chris is awesome!

5. Erin says:

Oh, boob biting. It’s the reason I stopped nursing my first at 10 months. My current client is almost 8 months and his bites are still just accidental.

6. Mel says:

I just joined Netflix, too, but I haven’t watched the DVD yet. I can’t seem to make time.

Sometimes it takes me three tries to get the word verification thing right.

I hate it when kids are at the sick-but-driving-you-crazy stage. Much better for them to be sick-and-half-conscious-on-the-couch, if you ask me. (We just got through an illness and lived to tell.)

(Random comments from a lurker. Don’t mind me.)

7. Cori says:

If I hadn’t already been in love with Chris, I would have fallen last night. As it was, my heart melted a tiny bit and even Hubby thought it was a nice gesture.

I gotta get on the Netflix bandwagon. How uncool am I? Save me some warm beer.

8. momofalltrades says:

Benadryl? LOL I feel your pain. I agree on the strep-test thing, I mean, how complicated could it be? We should invent that. Then we’d be rich! Your boys like to grow strange stuff in petri dishes, mine like to stick stuff down their throats, I really think we’re on to something here……

9. k in kc says:

Long time lurker. First time poster. There is in fact an at-home-Strep-test. Just ask Dr. Google.

Kris

10. Paisley says:

I agree with you about the word verification thing. I never get it right the first time. I was starting to wonder if I was a sucky typer or what.

Netflix rules!!! Glad to see you at the party.

11. Darren says:

Screw conclusions! I hate them!

Congratulations on Netflix!

12. Island Girl says:

I LOVE Netflix. :)
    Also LOVE Chris on American Idol.
    AI is the only tv show we watch as a family. :)

13. Wicked Stepmom says:

Ok, I am even more behind the times than you. I have NOT yet joined Netflix, and I do NOT watch Idol. ::hanging head in shame::

Just had my first clogged duct with The Mouse last week and did all the things you mentioned in your first post, sans the needle bit but that’s only b/c I couldn’t find one! Oh and the upside down thing is a new one on me!

I like using a diaper for the hot compresses because they keep my skin dry and retain the heat for a long time! I, too, scalded myself with the first compress. ;)

14. owlhaven says:

For a plugged duct or the start of a breast infection, try taking a soy lecithin capsule (Walmart has’em) a couple times a day for 3 days or so. Usually clears me right up without a doctor visit.

Your 5 yr old sounds like my 8 yr old today– making everyone miserable and coughing in my face….

Mary, mom to many

15. Happy Mom Tonja says:

Delurking…but have been around since before The Big Yellow House was torn down…

Just wondering, even if you DO do the at home strep test…will the dr take your word and call in a prescription or are you just wasting more money? My doctor would seriously laugh in my face and then ask the receptionist to make me an appointment. Grrr I mean, hello…where’s the money in that?!

16. Silly Old Bear says:

I don’t watch American Idol, but I big fat red HEART netflix.

Y’all are right, the popcorn is cheaper (and better) and you can pause the darn thing to take the kids to the bathroom, or better yet watch after they go to bed.

I hate the random letters! I always screw them up too. I like the picture verification type better.

Chris on American Idol has been my favorite since the beginning of this season. I won’t tell you how many times I call 1-866-IDOLS-04 last night…

18. Aj says:

I always get hung up on word verifications when the font’s all squiggly-like, and I can’t tell if it’s an “i” or an “l”, or a “u” or “v”.

I don’t have Netflix - I have a single brother who buys too many dvds. :)

19. Blairzoo says:

Hope you are all on the mend soon. I just want to say that if your DH has streph and your kids are still really sick, they might have it too. My doc won’t even use those ‘instant’ streph tests as he feels they are way too inacurrate and often miss cases of streph. Ducking as I say that since you spent a fortune on all those copays…. Did your doc do the ’send out’ tests (that take a day or two for results), as well?

20. Jody says:

I don’t have Netflix, but we probably should since they do not charge late fees……we accidentally took a rental to the beach last week. Bill was planning to bring it back with him, but it dropped behing the bolted down T.V. in the trailer, where it still sits. It was due back 2 weeks ago today…. ja-jing.

21. 4 girls and 3 boys says:

I am curious. My kids have never had a strep test in their lives. Is it a U.S thing?

22. Dot says:

1) I thought I was the only one who screwed up the word verification.

2) The at home strep tests would save you a lot of doctor’s appointments. And you would know if 5 year old has to go back to the dr. An at home strep test would have saved my 8 year old a weekend of fever as I would have known he wasn’t just going to get better.

3) We do not belong to Netflix. Hubby is impatient and would go to the movie store b/c he couldn’t wait any longer for the mail. He went to a different movie store to rent Mr. & Mrs. You-Know-Who when I already had a free coupon, he just had to WAIT for it to come in.

4) We LOVE AI and I have enjoyed Chris from the beginning. What a great rendition of Walk the Line.

5) I hope your boob feels better. I finished nursing Myles about 8 weeks ago and am very happy to have them back to myself!

You can get an ear exam and throat kit at One Step Ahead.com

Dot, mom to 6

23. joy madison says:

that test will save you money too!!! not just sanity:)

24. Leni says:

Oh thank you, I had almost forgotten about the last clogged duct! Hope it goes better this time.

Leni

25. joy says:

clogged ducts - what worked for me besides rest, was filling a bowl with warm water and salt and soaking my aching boob in it for 10 minutes every few hours. time consuming but relief.

26. Deb says:

I love hearing about your boobs.

27. Maddy says:

I stopped when each child bit, that was that and I was happy, word verification is sooo silly and finally what is Netflix and do I need it?

28. cmhl says:

chris is a hottie. OH yeah. and I loved that version of “walk the line”….

29. k in kc says:

OMG! No, Thank You. I am so giddy with excitement for being singled out and mentioned in your award nominated blog…

*faints*

Thud

30. Anonymous says:

At-home strep tests! Genius.
    I would never have thought to look for such a thing; you’ve performed a public service. Thank you!

(Second the request for an ear-infection one….)

31. k in kc says:

Ask and ye shall receive…

Kris

32. audio books says:

WHAT IS THISSSSSSSSSS

I love audio books and am glad to be on your site. If you want to find out more about……audio books then go visit http://homebooks4u.com……You wont be disapointed..Thanks For Visiting