She Turns Three

She Turns Three

April 23, 2006

Oh yeah, three year olds are MUCH more reasonable than two year olds. Thank God those terrible twos have come to an end.

Comments

1. deputyswife says:

I shouldn’t be laughing, but that was hilarious!!!

2. Beth says:

That video made my daughter cry!!! She’s very sen-si-tive. She hates seeing people upset. Which I think is hilarious, because she does so much of it herself. Very cute video, and very typical three year old girl behavior. Looked like your boys were ready to blow out her candles for her!

3. novaks8 says:

That was the funniest/saddest thing I have ever seen!

The boys were ready to EAT!

I heard one of them say “Why is she SO upset?”

haha

4. BackyardBloomers says:

At the end, I wanted to clap too! Happy Birthday, little one!!
    ~Robin in Ohio:)

5. wetNose says:

So cute! I loved it..what a cute little girl.Happy Birthday to her.

6. MoMMY says:

She’s a bit young for her birthday to stress her out so much. She is a doll!

7. PoeticaL says:

Ok….I will delurk after that to say, “Wow she’s all woman already!” She’s got the drama down pat. So so cute. Reminds me of singing a song I made up for my son as a baby that simpley went ‘I Love my baby, I love my baby…” And every single time his lips would quiver and he would cry. Needless to say, I sang it often to show people his reaction. Mean Mommy’s…trying to sing Happy Birthday and I love my Baby…to unsuspecting children. ;-)

Aww poor little sweetie, hormones already at three? I too was laughing and felt guilty about it. Shes adorable.

9. Gretchen says:

That was really funny! Someday she will appreciate all those big brothers looking out for her! Enjoy!

10. Kristen says:

Poor thing; that was pitiful! She is so cute. My three-year-old son was never sure about people singing Happy Birthday either. I think maybe it was too loud…??

11. Kathy says:

That is the funniest thing! I see a AFV $10,000 winner here. Wait…is that show still on? Thanks for sharing that with us.

12. Melissa says:

That was too funny! I just hope this isn’t a preview of her teen years! One of my children turns three this August, but he’s more likely to get angry and do some serious yelling than crying.

13. Merv says:

LOL, that was funny, yet somehow sad…. But still hilarious! Cute daughter!

14. J says:

Poor sweety. I feel the same way whenever I’m the center of attention. I love how she kept looking to Daddy :)

15. B.E.C.K. says:

My son was worried about “the little girl” and wanted to know why she was crying. I told him she was probably just overwhelmed by all the attention and the unusual happenings, and reminded him that he’s responded the same way in similar situations. He just watched with a worried little face. I hope your daughter was able to recover after the attention subsided. :-)

16. Cheerio's on my butt? says:

Oh man! Is that my three year old or what?! It’s hard being a next to youngest of a big family! He is too! Of course being surrounded by men on your birthday can be pretty stressful, eh? Unless they’re there as your slaves! Ha!

17. nrp says:

So much angst in one so young!

I half expected one of the boys to smash her face in the cake.

18. Mel says:

What a hoot! I can laugh because it’s not my daughter!

19. halloweenlover says:

Can you have PMS at three? I feel like that some days! ; )

I was laughing out loud! She looked soooo sad, and Rob is the sweetest dad ever.

20. lammyann says:

awww adoreable. She is darlin’. And so are those men in your life.
    What a fun family!
    No wonder you have so many great posts!
    Fantastic… thanx for sharing them. ;)

21. truth says:

I’m so glad to see that I’m not the only one who had a darling daughter cry at the Happy 3rd Birthday. Except on our video, we sang anyway, through the tears and then turned the camera off, lol.

22. Mel says:

That made me laugh. She’s definitely three!

23. The Green Family says:

That was so great! Please tell me you are sending that in to AFV! You would win for sure. Birthdays can be so overwhelming for our little ones.
    Happy Birthday sweet girl!

24. Molly says:

I feel guilty, but I laughed my a** off.

In a word of support, I grew up in an enormous family and I remember when we were really little sometimes we’d get upset at being the center of attention on a birthday too. I think we have a video of my brother not only doing the exact same thing but also running out of the room after we sat him in front of the cake.

25. Heth says:

Awww, what a sweetie. Maybe she just doen’t want to share her cake? I wouldn’t either.

26. Amber says:

NO LIE. My 23-month-old made me replay that video over and over again. “CRYING,” she announced shocked. Like she’d never done it a day in her life. So glad I have hope that when she turns 3 those terrible 2s will be alllllll over.

27. Cheryl says:

Sweet little birthday girl. Sometimes being the center of attention is just overwhelming.

28. Helene says:

Poor thing — For a while ther I thought sh’d never get to her candles :) Yes, it’s hard being three

29. Miss Peach says:

Awww. And the thing is, her brothers are all going to remind her of this for years to come. “Remember when you sobbed on your third birthday?”

I have a coworker who hates his birthday and always has. Apparently he used to hide under his bed all day, and his mom would have trouble finding him. Now we aren’t even allowed to acknowledge it’s his birthday. I usually leave a lollipop on his desk and whisper something like “I hope you’re having a WONDERFUL day” at some point, but that’s as far as I can push it.

30. momofalltrades says:

I’ve always said that who ever coined the term “Terrible Two’s” just hadn’t had a three year old yet! LOL

31. Meepers says:

Ahhhh! I can only imagine what this scene will be like in ten years… “Mom!! Why won’t she EAT the cake? Come ON, be reasonable already!” Thanks for sharing - I don’t know how something so semi-sad can be so hilarious, but you’ve managed to capture it!

32. Sarah says:

As my pediatrician says, three year old are professional two year olds.

33. Bickler3 says:

OH A.F.V !! You have to !!! That was too funny!! Maybe the thought of having to share that cake was just to much for her!!

34. Laura (Sebastian's Mommy) says:

My son surprised me by saying a new word as we watched this (He’ll be 3 next month).

Sebastian says, “Baby CWYING!”

thanks for helping him learn a new word lol

35. Alley says:

hehehehehe - that has truly made my Monday brighter ;-)
    Clearly the pressure of being a year older will take some getting used to.

Boys, hah! What do they know? :-)
    Alley

36. Meg says:

That was absolutely HILARIOUS. It made me think of being a kid and crying when the waitresses at Shoney’s would sing Happy Birthday to me and Josh in front of everyone.

37. Kim/Thomas says:

Sorry, I LMAO!!

Then I thought, Oh no the cake is going to burn!

Then I thought, she’s not used to this kinda noise yet?

And then, I was waiting for one of the other kids to throw water on the cake! That would have been funny!

You have such a great family!
    Someone once told me, about my now 6 year old, while I was complaining about the terrible two’s, and the awful three’s, and then he was turning four, and I said, he’s still crazy, and she said (she was mother theresa in my eyes, this women) ah, those are the F*@&ing four’s…haha!

Great video, I’ll have to show my kids later!
    k

38. The Grouchy Old Yorkie Lady says:

Heh. Unfortunately, they still act this way at 16, except it’s several times a week and not just on birthdays.

39. Janet says:

I couldn’t believe she had enough breath left to blow out the candles! Three year olds are my favorite! Thanks for sharing the video with us.

40. Claudia says:

She’s adorable and her brothers and her dad (and you) are all so good humored and patient trying to make her happy. Seems like things were just moving too fast for her. My son cried like that when he was the center of attention on his birthday so we all sang Happy Birthday looking in every direction but at him and that seemed to help.

41. Heidi says:

Whoa. You must have nerves of steel. I, on the other hand, have made the decision to stick with cats. (And you have SIX MORE of ‘em?)

42. Trivial Mom says:

My favorite part . . .

“Why won’t she blow out the candles?”

and

“Your gonna get wax all over you cake!”

Too Cute!

43. HangerMom says:

It’s like I’m seeing the future of my 2.5 year old daughters birthday, especially if she doesn’t take a nap that day… That’s her on the dot. You just have to keep a good sense of humor about things like that - thanks for the laugh!

44. Jody says:

I am sorry she was so upset, but I was LMAO…..that was so funny!

I love where your husband (I think)said “Your not supposed to be crying like that until your 40″

Adorable!

45. Jody says:

Oh, and Happy Birthday sweet girl!

46. Anonymous says:

Happy birthday (belatedly) to your sweetheart. That was SO bittersweet to see - your hub/her daddy seems to have a magic touch and a huge/tender heart. SO sweet!

biz (at library - only place I can view these with dial-up at home :P)

Oh my. That was too funny.

I tell you, I don’t know who EVER coined the phrase “terrible twos”. Three makes two look like a walk in the park.

I get a little nuts from the time my kids turn 3 until they’re about 4 1/2.

Great moment to get on camera, by the way.

49. Jeff Medcalf says:

OK, in all fairness, you guys were way off key.
    :-)

50. Anonymous says:

Too funny. I have 7 girls, and I wish I’d had a video camera when they were younger.. the recent years with one have been hilarious. Really, send it in to Funniest Home Videos. She’s adorable.
    Cheryl

51. Audrey says:

Holy Crap!!! I am scared very scared!! Dont get me wrong that was cute…but see what scares me is that I to have 5 boys (10 and under) and I finally got my princess. I just dont do well with whinning and crying. The boys can run around and jump from the staircase…as long as they are quite….is this what I have before me? I think I need a drink!

52. thatgirl says:

I cannot believe that five boys (minus the toddler) left a burning candle on the table for that long.

That was so effin’ funny.

53. nextcommercial says:

Girls are all about drama.

You ARE going to show this video to her date on Prom night….aren’t you?

Oh, and at her Baby shower too.

54. Anonymous says:

Oh my gosh - that was priceless!

55. Scott Arthur Edwards says:

Hey, you have a great blog here! You really are very talented and deserve an honest compliment, congradulations! I’m definitely going to bookmark you!

I have a mlm site/blog. It successfully covers mlm related stuff.

Come and check it out if you get time, Scott.