Cinco de Mayo Cumpleaños Para La Señora Loca*

1974 Birthday

Happy Birthday to Me,
Oh how can it be?
That I’m even closer
to turning forty.

I Don't Know Where To begin

Just so you could fully appreciate the dress. Oh how I hated that dress and how I cried on my birthday because I was going to have to wear it. My mother still brings up how beautiful it was. Yeah, if you were blind maybe. I look like one of those bobble head statues.

1974 also marks the last time in my life that I have had short hair. My mother still brings up what a beautiful haircut it was. She said it brought out my eyes. Yeah, because what else would people be looking at, they were trying to avert their eyes from the travesty that was my “hair do”

No, I’m not the least bit bitter about my childhood.

And for my birthday my husband bought me a pair of gardening clogs. They haven’t actually arrived yet, but he did show me the online receipt that he ordered them. So that is definitely an improvement over never getting a present. Baby steps, people, baby steps.

*I have no idea if that is correct. But I always feel very Mexican on my birthday and walk around rolling my rrrrr’s … well as Mexican as a blonde** haired pasty white girl of German descent could possibly ever feel.

** Shhhhh, only her hairdresser knows for sure.

Comments

1. liz says:

Happy birthday!

Congratulations on getting old enough that you can wear whatever you like and grow your hair long!

2. TBG says:

Happy Birthday! I hope you have a great day! And gardening clogs you so deserve them after the trip to homedepot with the baby on saturday!

3. Jen3 says:

So … how’s the knitting coming along? Have you made much progress on the long chain?? My favorite saying is “We’re aging like fine wine” or is it … “We’re aging … BIG DEAL … let’s get some fine wine!” Happy Birthday … viva la fiesta!

4. momofalltrades says:

You look beautiful in the last photo! I had those *SAME* shoes, Buster Brown’s if I remember correctly. Oh how I hated those ugly shoes. Happy Birthday!

5. Blair says:

Happy Birthday!

And just for the record… there are quite a few Mexican women that are blonde** haired and of German descent!!!

** And this is without a hairdressers intervention!

=oD

6. nextcommercial says:

~*~HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!~*~

You look JUST like your kids!

And HOLLIE HOBBIE!!! I Had a Hollie Hobbie! Hollie Hobby was SO cool!

7. Anonymous says:

I am ridiculously jealous of your hair. Have a lovely birthday!

8. GraceD says:

Chris, happy birthday to you, most fabu of all mommybloggers. You’re a wonder and an inspiration, especially to us weenie wussy mothers with just one kid.

Carry on with you awesome badass self!

xoxox

9. owlhaven says:

I had a dress and a hairdo almost identical to that. By those styles I am guessing we can’t be all that terribly far apart in age..

I turn 39 this year…
    Mary

10. LauraD817 says:

This post has been removed by the author.

11. Anonymous says:

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!

12. Deb W says:

Ooooooh! Hollie Hobbie! I’d forgotten all about her! I had dolls, pictures, even clothing… and you thought your dress was bad ;-)
    Oh, and 1972 was the last short haircut here LOL
    - Deb in the twilight zone

13. Fold My Laundry Please says:

Happy Birthday! You’re not getting older, you’re getting better! Just remember, like Bill Cosby says, you shouldn’t be afraid of going senile because when it hits, you won’t know it!

14. meredith says:

Bon Anniversaire Chris.

15. Jonathan says:

Happy Birthday. Love reading your blog as we *perhaps* would like a big family - 2 under 2 seems like enough for now though.

Also - I always buy my wife presents, but I seem to be a minority as lot’s of guys don’t or they stop after a while!

Happy Birthday!!!

Today is my sister in law’s birthday too! Thanks for reminding me to give her a call and wish her a good one.

17. Denise says:

Happy Birthday!!!!!!

I like your hair much better now. :)

18. Jeana says:

Happy Birthday! And what a beautiful picture! The last one I mean. The first two brought back memories of a “Dorothy Hamil” do in my childhood.

19. Nettie says:

Happy Birthday! I, too, had to suffer one of those pixie cuts when my sister got to have long hair. That may be why I always let my girls choose how they want their hair! Congratulations on getting gardening clogs!

20. Dot says:

Los Cumpleaños felices de otra dama loca.

I had that same hair cut and I hated it!! I hope you have a really great birthday.

Your 5 yo may have a future in photography, that is a great picture of you and Miles.

21. geminshadow79 says:

YEAH! HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!

22. novaks8 says:

You look beautiful!

Those dresses were “the style” back then.
    You looked like Twiggy with that hairdo!

I had one too.
    It was a “shag” style.

I will have to dig up that picture.

40 is getting closer and closer. I will be 38 in September but I sure don’t feel like it.

23. CooksonMom says:

Happy Birthday!! Always had long hair, until 8th grade, then, along with all the other 8th grade awkwardness, I got a bi-level…what the??? Be glad you knew back then that short hair was not your style…I had to learn the 8th grade hard way!! I’ve never looked back! Have a great birthday!!

24. Judy says:

FELIZ CUMPLEANOS A TI!
    FELIZ CUMPLEANOS A TI!
    FELIZ CUMPLEANOS A CHRIIIIIIS,
    FELIZ CUMPLEANOS A TI!!!!!

Have a great day!

25. Meg says:

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, my dear blogbuddy. Big hugs to you…

26. Jamie says:

Happy Birthday! I had that exact Holly Hobbie doll as a kid. But the dress…is uniquely yours. :) (Love the new picture you posted, though.)

27. Silly Old Bear says:

Happy Birthday!!!!

(from someone who turned forty already. No, I’m not bitter)

28. InterstellarLass says:

HOPPY BURP DAY! I think that dress and those knee socks are AWESOME! And I think I had one of those dolls too! My condolences on the haircut though.

Knitting is soooo easy! Most of the time I mean. Find a yarn store near you. They’ll have classes. Knitting is relaxing and fun and you can make some really, really pretty things!

29. Stacey says:

Happy Birthday Chris!

30. kathy says:

Darlin, you’re a güera. :) Here in Mexico, blond blue eyed, German descent is very much in demand. :)
    Forgive the typing, my 4yo has tied my hand to the fruit bowl with a long balloon. :)
    Happy barthday and 5 and 6 year olds take amazing pictures!

31. kathy says:

Oh, and

que te cuples feliz!

32. Elizabeth says:

Happy Birthday!

I’m 29, so I’m still in the “I can’t believe I’m almost 30 phase(are you jealous yet? Or maybe the big secret I don’t know yet is the 30’s are way better than the 20’s). But I’m still old enough to remember Hollie Hobbie–my favorite doll of all time growing up!

33. B.E.C.K. says:

Happy birthday! And you know, I’m lovin’ those shoes you’re wearing in your childhood photo. Seriously! Very cute…

34. Miss Peach says:

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

Hope it’s wonderful.

35. Jaybird says:

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

What can I say? Yeah, Holly rocks and so did your shoes!

Here’s hoping your dh brings home great presents and here’s hoping that if he doesn’t, you will write about it in the morning.

**I will toast you sometime around 5pm when I get all this damn laundry done.**

36. Paisley says:

Happy Birthday!!! Congrats on the clogs. I hope they are adorable.

My mom convinced me to have short hair when I was little, too. She gave me the Dorothy Hamill hairdo/bowl cut. I didn’t want it at all and she told me that it was just for summer and by winter my hair would be long again. One day I realized it was winter and I still had that damn haircut. Duped! I have never had short hair since.

37. Paisley says:

oops- sorry…to make my haircut expereince even worse -

we moved and I was at a new school in a SKIRT and this girl asked me if I was a boy or a girl.

uh…..

38. Kira says:

Ooohh, I had the same haircut in 1977. I went into the bathroom at recess one day and two girls, standing by the mirror, looked at me with HORROR.
    “This is the GIRLS bathroom, you know,” they said.
    And then I died.
    I have never had short hair since.

39. Kari says:

Happy Birthday! I have been lurking for awhile and I love your blog! Anyway, I also had short hair when I was in grade school (Mom made me cut it after trying to french braid my hair and needing six hands to do it - mine, hers, and my brother’s - who incidently would pull every time she handed him a piece of hair), Later, my mom decided that I needed a spiral wrap perm to make it complete. Can you say Bozo? She loved it, I hated it… At least we have a school picture to commemorate the event…

40. halloweenlover says:

Meg stole what I was going to say!!!

Happy Birthday Happy Birthday!

No eres una Senora Loca… no no no.

Hope you have a wonderful day! Why don’t you just start saying you are thirty-through. If you say it enough, your kids get confused. I don’t know how old my mother is anymore.

41. Melissa L says:

Holy crap! I not only had that same doll, I had the same haircut! I love you sporting the long socks. So cute! Happy Birthday!

42. Mama2five says:

H~A~P~P~Y~B~I~R~T~H~D~A~Y~!!!!

Have a great day!!!

Blessings,
    Penny

43. Claudia says:

A very merry birthday to you! You have taken the fashion wrongs of the past and righted them! …My mother favored the dutch boy haircut for all of us with bangs in a severe line, cut in an arc that was shorter on both sides than in the middle. On my face this was particularly unflattering. When I finally could, I grew my hair to my knees. My mother also loved the dresses with puffy short sleeves and big collars buttoned right up to your neck. Gack.

44. Gail Martin says:

Happy Birthday!

45. Carmen says:

Oh.My.God.

Chris, we had the same doll, the same shoes, and the same tall socks, not to mention apparently the same mother with no taste.

Happy birthday to you! I’m so with you on the no screaming on July 28…….

Unless we scream at each other, just to stay in shape…..

46. southern~belle says:

Happy Birthday!!!!

47. The Green Family says:

Happy Birthday to You!!

Hey is that a Holly Hobbie doll you have there? Cool…I had one too. And bedsheets to match. (don’t be jealous!)

48. Anonymous says:

Happy Birthday Chris!!! I hope you have a wonderful day!

I’ve never commented on your site, but I always read it. I love your style and I hope your brithday rocks…even if you do hate lowrise jeans! :)

49. twoboysmom says:

Happy Birthday!
    I had the same “shag” haircut when I was little. Horrible! I have been reading your site EVERY day for a month at least. I love it. You make me laugh hysterically. Thank you!

50. Ms. Mamma says:

Feliz Cumpleanos, chiquita bonita! I’ll whip myself up a lil’ margarita in your honor tonight! Have a good birthday. With those garden shoes you will be able to do silent clog dancing, congrats!

51. Leslie says:

Happy Birthday BREEDER!!1! LOL! I will always think of you on May 5 from now on!

52. Ashley says:

Happy Birthday! And OMG, we finally get a look at your face. (beautiful btw). We’ve seen your hands, arms, feet and (skinny) back side, but never your face. Thanks for sharing!
    a.k.a. onetallmomma

53. Maddy says:

**HAPPY BIRTHDAY**
    Congratulations and have a wonderful day.

54. Lisa says:

So Happy Birthday! And about your list, I can’t even think of 40 things I want to do, so I wouldn’t worry about being fickle.

55. Lady E says:

Happy Birthday! I had that short haircut to and hated it. It was worse bacause we didn’t have money to go to a beauty shop so my Nana cut my hair. It was a little uneven to say the least.

56. Helene says:

Happy Day! Hope it was fun

57. Gretchen says:

happy birthday Chris! So sorry about that hair cut. My mom had a thing for short hair, too, but as soon as I was old enough, I started to grow it out. I like my hair soooo much better long. I’ll be “almost 40″ in September, and I always feel like I should cut it now that I’m old, but I cry to think about it. It really is my only redeeming feature, LOL.

By the way, I had those same shoes only in blue, and I loved them. My twin sister had the red ones and I didn’t like them nearly as much.

I just don’t have anything to say about the dress. Just sorry, lol.

Enjoy your clogs!

Feliz cumpleanos caliente mamasita! Whoa, made me break out with my spanish there! From one Taurus mama (me) to another (you), Happy, Happy Birthday! Oh and happy “drinko de Mayo!” as my husband so kindly put it! :)

59. Dy says:

A belated happy birthday! Is that you in that last photo? Sheesh. Here I was, all thrilled that I’m not wearing kaftans after four children - and you’ve got seven and you’re still actually, no-shit hot! I’m not sure if that’s encouraging, or depressing. Whatever it is, you look great, and I hope that you have a fantastic year!

Dy

60. Cheryl says:

A belated Very Happy Birthday to you, Chris!!! I’m thrilled to share a birthday with you!!! :)

61. Cami says:

Happy birthday to you!
    I had a Holly Hobbie doll too!
    And the lunchbox ……

62. Jordana says:

Happy, happy birthday. Sorry I’m late in saying it.

63. Maliavale says:

Happy birthday! I love the picture at the bottom of the entry — but the dress is just as classic.

64. Anonymous says:

Happy Birthday, Chris!! And hey, the german’s roll their r’s, too (at least down here in the south). ;-)

Tracy, another pasty white girl (seriously–people always ask me if I’m feeling o.k.!)of german descent in Heidelberg

65. Anonymous says:

Tracy, another pasty white girl (seriously–people always as

66. Tori says:

Happy Birthday Momma
    I have some birthday gifts of despair too….
    A blender once…
    A Nintendo (don’t play video games…mmm who was that for?) and a horrendous dophin statue thing…
    Clogs - even late would be good!