It’s Now Officially A Baseball Blog

It’s Now Officially A Baseball Blog

May 11, 2006

We were at baseball the other night. Really, is that any surprise. Where else would I be these days. My seven year old had a game.

He got up to the plate and took what felt like five minutes getting his feet situated in the perfect spot. He set up in his batting stance, looking the part of the perfect miniature baseball player. He was even wearing his little sweatbands on his wrists, which at this age are much more likely to be used as snot wipers than for absorbing any sweat, and batting gloves.

The pitcher throws the ball. He swings. He misses. He pirouettes at the plate.

The pitcher throws the ball. He swings. He misses. He pirouettes at the plate.

The pitcher throws…

After a few more times I couldn’t take it any longer. He knows how to swing the bat. He knows how to hit a ball. He was playin’ the clown, as we like to say at my house.

“Are you a ballerina?” I screamed out.

The other parents looked at me. A few fathers snickered, everyone else looked shocked.

“Not that there is anything wrong with that.” I shouted out.

“You know if you were at ballet school and not a baseball field.” I muttered under my breath, wondering why it is that everything needs to be qualified these days.

He finally hit the ball.

Running to first base

And that excited face, that is what makes it all worth it. The endless Saturdays spent at the field, the juggling of various games and practices every night of the week, the over priced junk food from the snack bar, doing our part to ensure that the oil companies make a huge profit this quarter, the huge color coded calendar… yup, all worth it.

Set of photos can be found here.
You know you want to share my pain…

Comments

1. The Green Family says:

Yeah!! I’m so glad he got a hit! How exciting…and the picture is PERFECT! I can’t stop laughing though….thinking of his ballet moves….too funny!

Yeah…that ballpark food is mmm mmm good….NOT! We have had many nights at the ballpark feasting on nachos, chilidogs, and blowpops. Healthy!

2. But Momma says:

I love it! My nine year old tries to watch himself as he runs bases, if you can even imagine. He looks down over his left shoulder to see his technique. He looks like the Six Million Dollar Man in slow motion. There’s a lot of base stealing because it’s kid pitch, one of the coaches motioned for one of the kids to steal home and his mom screamed “DON’T SEND HERMAN MUNSTER HOME!” She was totally serious and it was all we could do not to fall out of the stands….

3. Kristie says:

Loved the flicker photos … at least your son was *sneaking* candy. One of the boys on my son’s team (a 6 yr old who somehow, mysteriously, got on a 7-8 yr old team) blatantly took a Ring Pop into the outfield last night. When the coach tried to take it away from him, he ran away from the coach. Then threw his glove on the ground, then his own body. He laid there for half the inning. All I could think was, “Thank heavens, for once, the kid acting obnoxious in the outfield isn’t MINE”. :)
    PS. I have a confession. I actually like the concession stand hot dogs. Of course, I’m also eight months pregnant, so I’d pretty much eat a gazelle if it crossed my path.

4. Karen Rani says:

I LOVE that picture! The pride on his face is so cute!

5. TBG says:

Look at that face!

6. Heth says:

Go Dodgers! The grin on his face is priceless.

7. Meg says:

That is a GREAT picture. By the way, I’m terrified that Sophia will turn out to be athletic and I’ll have to go to softball games. I’m trying to discourage any sort of sports prowess by not letting her play with anything vaguely sporty (balls, baseball bats, chewing tobacco).

8. cmhl says:

I love his expression!!

9. Lucinda says:

That is like a Norman Rockwell painting. I love it.

10. B.E.C.K. says:

LOL @ “Are you a ballerina?”

Love the pic! And next time, would you please post a pirouetting video? ;^)

11. Claudia says:

What a great photo. You caught the essence of little league happiness in that picture!

We used to do baseball in the spring but now we’ve switched over to swim team and by gosh you’re lucky to be doing baseball! Decently scheduled ballgames beat Saturday morning 7am swim meets hands down! These meets last ’til noon and there’s about an hour between each of your kid’s 25sec long race events and you’re surrounded by SCREAMING adults in the hot sun and it’s Saturday morning for heaven’s sake..

12. Kari says:

So cute! (Is it okay to say cute about a boy playing sports?)

13. meredith says:

No pain. Looks like a beautiful day.

14. Jules says:

That face is priceless!

15. lipstickface says:

Is this the same boy that did the pooping gorilla pose?!
    What is with the Pirouetting?
    That kid is a CARD!
    AWESOME!

*sigh* I love your family :)

16. ABC Momma says:

At least he’s having fun–it almost makes it all worth it.

17. Fold My Laundry Please says:

Great picture! I remember playing little league baseball as a kid, but the only times I got to first base were when I got hit with the ball. Now that I think of it, I got hit with the ball A LOT!

-Melissa

18. Sheryl says:

Cute pic! We start softball practice tomorrow, so I feel your pain.

19. Mel says:

“Are you a ballerina?!” Hilarious!

20. stacey says:

I feel for you my son used to do more dancing around than really paying attention when in baseball too. We finally told him that if he didn’t start paying attention then I had the sisters pink tutu that he would be wearing and I packed it in the car for each and ever practice and game and it settled his buns right out! LOL. You go mom!

21. merseydotes says:

Had to laugh outloud. I’m reading ‘Queen Bee Moms & Kingpin Dads’ right now and just finished the chapter on kids’ sports entitled ‘Field of Nightmares.’ Rosalind Wiseman would have pounced all over you for the ballerina comment! And then made one of the other parents go through a four-step process to ‘address your behavior.’ 8-)

Glad your son finally connected with the ball. He looks super happy.

22. InterstellarLass says:

Yeah! A hit! A hit! How cool! And what a great face!

I feel your pain! Showboating is one of my son’s specialties.

Um, do they have Frito Pie? I love Frito Pie.

23. Belinda says:

That face…that FACE! What a great thing to share! And the pirouette reference…beautiful. Hilarious.

24. Melissa says:

Maybe the other parents thought they were at the ballet?;)

My daughter’s 1st year, all the kids loved drawing in the dirt with sticks. Her second year, she was the only one still doing it.:)

25. Navhelowife says:

LOL! I have three boys playing this year - Tball, Coach Pitch and Kid Pitch (Majors they call it). I pray for rain daily, except then I know I’ll just have to make up the game later…the baseball season can’t end too soon for me!

26. ktcakes says:

There is no greater torture than sitting through a kid’s baseball game. But that moment sure makes the torture seem worth it.

27. Ashley says:

My six year old pulled the same dance move in his last game. But the best I could come up with was “what was that?” I got the evil eye from the “perfect” mothers. Why is there something wrong with admitting your kid isn’t the greatest ball player, or dancer, or artist, or singer? Golly!

28. jackabug says:

Cute coach too! Don’t you love at the beginning of the season when their uniforms are so clean!

29. helene says:

Hi - Just stopping by to invite you to add your own supermom tradecard to the Mom’s Day Salute and help spread the word http://hlb.blogspot.com

30. Lisa says:

Great pic! Dh’s favorite yell is “it’s baseball, not tennis” as they swing at a ball two feet above their head. I was nearly stoned by the crowd when I told my 9 year old to suck it up.

31. CinnamonLeaf says:

Haha…can’t help to LOL when I read “Are you a ballerina?”…
    Good boy..and good momma… :).

Cheers,
    CinnamonLeaf

32. novaks8 says:

They say
    Baseball is Life.

I bet that slogan started out as a Mom’s whine after 4 games in three nights in a row!

33. momof3busyboys says:

We have been living baseball for the past month. I definately can relate! I give you Kudos for having so many kids and taking them to all their activities! I love your Blog!

34. Maddy says:

Here in Aus’ it’s winter baseball season so I know how you feel. I was up at 7am getting things ready for an 8.30am game. It’s was only 5′ and freezing, thank heaven for McDonalds hot coffee in the very BIG cup. But as you say, the smile on their face when they round third base makes it all worth while.

35. All the best to you! says:

Hey Fellow, you have a great blog here! I have a web
    site & blog about games center.
    Yours is top-notch!
    If you have a moment, please visit my site
    games center
    I wish you all the best!

36. buy ambien says: