Way Back Weekend

Way Back Weekend

May 20, 2006

Modern Technology

Comments

1. Erin-erin-bo-berin says:

WAH-HA-HA-HA! Next, you’ll tell us that your mom and dad went to the drive-in, riding dinosaurs, while they were dating. I’ll let you in on a family secret: My dad and I still dance to old ABBA albums (on LPs, of course). Shhh! Don’t tell.

Hey, I had one of those! We actually went through a couple of those. We were the evil kids, and used to play everything backwards, you know, to hear the “message” that was hidden. Hahaha. Puhlease. Then in the 80’s, we were scratch music DJ’s. :) I will admit, those were pretty fun!

3. novaks8 says:

My mom found an old record player just like that at a yard sale recently and gave it to the girls.

I dug up some old 45’s and they love it!

And here I was all excited to find my Sony Discman andgave it to my son! the 5 year old LOVES it! (nevermind the fact that I DON”T have an mp3 player or I pod or whatever those things are)

Here’s a funny story! My best friend and I were at a Flea market and she picked up and LP - and stupidly said “what this?” Now what she MEANT was - who is this a record of - Without missing a beat - I turned to her and said “It’s a RECORD sweetie - they’re like BIG cd’s!” EVERYONE around us stared cracking up (including her)

5. Lilly says:

Yep, we used to dance like craxy to our LPs which bounced the needle which scratched the records which often skipped in the same place and repeated the same few notes over and over ’til we moved the needle forward. Thank goodness for CDs etc with no bouncy needle when you dance.

6. Jody says:

That picture of you reminds me of your daughter. Do your baby pics and hers look alike?

7. Paisley says:

My parents still have that Fisher Price schoolhouse so my kids can play with it! I LOVED it. Yay.

8. Mom2the5rs says:

And next to the record player is your first model of the “big yellow (not) house”. See, it has always been with you!

Jules

9. B.E.C.K. says:

Wow, that brings back memories! WE used to have a kiddie phonograph with a whole bunch of 45s. We were too young to read at the time, so my mom drew little pictures on all the labels so we could know the titles. Then we’d play records and put on shows for my folks. Dang, I feel old. ;^)

10. Ashley says:

I am dating myself by telling you that I listened to David Cassidy and Donny Osmond on my “record player”. I did move on the Jethro Tull and Boston as I grew. We now dance to the Dixie Chicks and the Time Life 60’s collection I ordered as I as watching late night infomercials when my baby was an infant and wanted to be social at 3 am. Light rain here, still. Where did I put my glass of wine…

11. Marti says:

Wow! Did you use to live at my house, because we used to have that same carpet. And in some of the other pics, we had the same furniture, and same bedding. Hey, were you that girl that used to live in my closet and always get me in trouble. I knew you weren’t imaginary! I knew it!

12. Nohe 5 says:

Forget records! What’s sad is that my daughter has a Barbie Radio/CD/Tape Player and she thinks the tape deck is for holding barettes.

13. T in HD says:

Oi vey, I don’t think my kids even know what records are! We had all the disney stories on records. And I used to have that Fisher Price school house i the picture, too. We loved it. Used to put our Candy Land game pieces in it…

I’m loving these “blast from the past” photos! And Erin, my dad and I still listen to ABBA in the car. ;-) CDs though.

14. lammyann says:

When my oldest went to Kindergarten, she came home all excited one day that the teacher had played a “black cd that spun round and round and played the Holy pokey”.
    I just closed my eyes and realized the old “mom,-did-you-have-a-car-or-colored-tv-when-you-were-young” questions were on their way.
    Love your WAY BACK WEEKENDS!
    Hugs

15. Janet says:

Oh God….. I had that carpet when I was 1st married. After vacuuming I would actually RAKE it to make the strands stand up! UGG awful, awful carpet.

I think that is actually the Fisher Price school house. Believe it or not, the old FP sets are becoming collectable!

16. Annalise says:

I had that Fisher Price school house :-) Funny that a little girl in Zimbabwe should have the same toy as a little girl in the US. Last September, when we were back in SA we cleared out all the stuff we’d stored at my in-laws house, so all my old F-P toys - which my kids played with in their time - are now gracing a very needy pre-school … Thanks for sparking all those memories!

17. Wicked Stepmom says:

Remember taping a penny to the needle so it wouldn’t skip??

18. Tuesday Girl says:

I had that rug when i was a little girl too! Ahhh! Seriously, the ugliest thing I have ever seen.