In Which I Can’t Complain About The Gum Surgery I Had Yesterday, even though it really really hurt

May 28, 2006

This house has taken blood, sweat and tears in it’s restoration.

And now it has taken a thumb.

In The ER

Rob in the Emergency Room, after the morphine IV.

I discovered three things about myself from this experience, because yes, it is all about me:
1) I am not the person you want around in an emergency
2) It is a good thing I decided long ago not to be a doctor
3) I am lots of fun to have around in the emergency room after the initial crisis.

Oh and a fourth thing,
I need to remember to bring my camera with me everywhere, even when someone is holding a bloody stump of a finger in my face.

Comments

1. But Momma says:

Yowza! Sending well wishes! What three things did Rob learn? Get well soon!

2. truevyne says:

You can still complain. Gum surgery is right up there with cutting off limbs.

3. Carola says:

What did you do in the emergency room after the crisis was over that was fun?

4. Sheryl says:

OMG! Did he really lose part of his thumb? Were they able to repair it? Is he ok?!

5. Lilly says:

Really hope the thumb injury isn’t too serious. There’s still a lot of renovatin’ left to do! ..At least, you can enjoy the togetherness of recuperation.

6. The(un)PerfectMother says:

He looks so cute and pouty, must be where the kiddos get it! Hope he is feeling better soon so he can get back to climbing ladders to give you a little, shall we say, pick me up?

7. Anonymous says:

OH crap! I am having major tooth ache pain and know something big is coming (regarding an appointment next week) so completely think you can and should moan about your gum surgery.

I hope Rob and you heal quickly, and soon this is all a very distant memory, even laced with a bit of humor, when looking back on it…

biz

8. B.E.C.K. says:

Ouch!! :-( Looks like most of the thumb is there, thank goodness. What happened??

9. liz says:

Holy guacamole! I hope that his thumb is okay.

I hope your gums are okay, too.

You must tell us what happened.

10. Sorka says:

awhh.. doesn’t he look so cute..heheh
    That must be some good stuff he took!
    Hope he gets better really fast!
    Denise
    knitchat.com

11. Huffs says:

My Father-in-law has half of a thumb, and his father had half of a thumb. Everytime my husband pulls out the table saw, I cringe….Hoping all is okay!

OMG! WHAT HAPPENED??? Poor Rob! Were they able to put it back on?

I bet your sons are jealous. I remember a post where one of them said “Nothing cool ever happens to me!” after his older brother lost a fingernail. So I can only imagine a thumb.

Hope he is okay, and so are you.

13. Meepers says:

Chris -first of all: Wow he really is cute, esp. stoned on morphine. Second: What the HECK happened?

14. lipstickface says:

Details! Did he lose his whole thumb and they had to sew it back on? Was it only a mere flesh wound?
    Was there blood spurting out everywhere like on Saturday Night Live sketches? HOW DID IT HAPPEN?!?

I am no good in the emergency room. 2 years ago when David was 41 he had a skatboarding accident and broke his wrist. No florence nightengale was I - I was so mad at him for being so stupid! I was terrible. He’s all better now. Hope your hubby gets better soon!

OMG,OMG, THUMB? GONE? STUMP? Feeling a tad queezy.. What in the heck did he do to lose part of his thumb? Yowzer!!!

16. Lilorfnannie says:

I knew someone that had several fingers cut completely off, and they were sewn on again & he even regained full use of them. He was trying to use a some piece of woodworking machinery and had had too little sleep- being stupid. I knew someone else though that had ends of two fingers completely shredded by a table saw. I decided in high school (during shop class) that I never wanted to use woodworking machines, and that kind of stuff reinforces it. In fact, I have made it a policy to never use anything that could kill me if I do it wrong. The one exception being driving.

17. nabbalicious says:

Ow ow ow ow ow. I hope you both are doing better!

18. Amah says:

People will think he worked in a sawmill. All of them have digits gone!! Gum surgery is no picnic either. I really want to see the whole ER story!!!

19. TBG says:

How did he do that? Ouch!

20. J's Mommy says:

Good lessons. I love the pouty face!

21. Maddy says:

OMG I hope you sent in the brave 11 year old to give you both first aid.

22. Nicola says:

Ooocha!

I’ve been there too. When we were renovating our old house my husband shot his thumb with his nail gun. Not a pretty sight and not helped by me screaming at him for being so stupid! It was just a panic reaction though. Lucikly no lasting damage. I hope Rob’s ok.

23. Lisa says:

Holy Opposing Digits Batman! I’m so sorry about his thumb (and your gums) Dh left his on by a thread when we renovated our first house. Yikes! They sewed his back on but it looks like Rob completed the job. I really am sorry. I’ll send prayers, and vibes and thoughts, etc.

24. Carmen says:

Oh, Chris, I’m so sorry! Poor Rob!

The Hubster was using an electric hedge clipper and sliced almost straight through his finger. It really makes you feel guilty for all that nagging, doesn’t it?

25. Annalise says:

Looks like he’s going with the “maximise sympathy” option, rather than going the stoic martyr route :-)
    Poor Rob. And poor you too; I hope you both feel better soon. Did you have to take all the kids to the ER?

26. Silly Old Bear says:

Still better to lose a thumb than “other” things. Just sayin’

That sucks!

And, I too, wanna know how you entertained the ER crew after the ordeal.

27. Cheerio's on my butt? says:

Oh man! Poor guy! Although he looks pretty cute for having his thumb cut off! Must be the Morphine! So, Now you gotta post the story of how it happened!
    Hope his thumb heals okay….and your gums too!

28. Ashley says:

If the morphine has worn off, show Rob all of these comments from women that think he is cute. That will perk him right up! Hope both of you are on the mend.

29. Jody says:

Oh Jeez! Were they able to reattach the piece?

You and I, we can be partners in the “bad at emergency” category.

Hope Rob is feeling better!

30. combatmom says:

Thank you for entertaining me in those quiet times - while the kids are still sleeping. I hope your hubby is okay. You actually inspired me to start my own blog - although I am still in the way learning stage. If you would like to give me any pointers, I would much appreciate it.

31. Karen Rani says:

At least next Memorial Day, Rob can reflect back, “Remember that thumb I once had? I loved that thumb.”

Okay kidding. Hope all is okay…..

32. meredith says:

“Oh,Bon sang!”, as they say in french. Translated literally this means,”oh,good blood”, which I am sure you saw a lot of.

I hope he’s okay, now.

I’m sorry about the thumb and all but what a cute pouty face. hehe

34. Meg says:

Holy shit.

35. beckylou says:

I love your blog! It’s in my favorites. As I read this post, my two-year old son was on my lap and he saw your poor husband giving what he thought was a “thumbs up” and gave him a “thumbs up” right back! I hope he feels better soon!

36. Gina says:

Funny post, funny photo! Sorry about the thumb. I hope it turned out okay.