Planting with Children

Planting with Children

June 2, 2006

This is when you get to practice that deep Lamaze breathing that was completely worthless during labor.

Boots, essential flower planting footwear

And anyone with the slightest bit of perfectionism, will need some drugs. Or at the very least to put the camera down and help. By help I mean take over and yell, mumble expletives about how expensive the plants were, gently guide the small angels. Gosh, that is hard to type with a straight face.

Trying to give the porch floor that outdoor feel

And just to prove how over protective I am, here is a picture of my daughter playing t-ball.

Safety equipment for t ball

It’s a dangerous sport. You never know when you might hit yourself in the head with your bat, or drop the ball on your toes. Better to be vigilant and prepared.

Comments

1. twoboysmom says:

Your children are beautiful! Have fun planting!

Sometimes planting with mmy two is painful!!! I start my own seeds or buy the plants I REALLY love - it is soooo hard to let them “help” me - buy some sacrifical impatiens and petunias! Works for me!

3. Jody says:

Love the boot/skirt photo! Too cute!

Did any of the plants make it into the ground alive?

4. Heth says:

That first photo needs to be enlarged and put on a wall somewhere. Gorgeous.

I’m sure I’ve asked this before but, what kind of a camera do you use?

5. Cheerio's on my butt? says:

Ha! Planting with MY children? I can’t even do a good job by myself much less with a bunch of kids who would rather throw dirt at each other or turn it into mud to roll in then plant anything in it! More power to ya! Oh and the helmit is a great idea! I need one because when my three year old loses it with a bat in his hand….you better run! Which I can’t so I need the helmit! Ha!

6. Nohe 5 says:

I agree with heth about the photo. Great shot! And to repeat her question, what kind of camera do you use?

I bought little hippo watering cans for the kids so they could help with the plants this summer. Unfortunately, they insist on filling them up inside and then carrying them outside. My hallway has become one big indoor slip and slide (do they even still make those?).

7. halloweenlover says:

I’m in pain just looking at those pictures. I can’t even let Josh plant for me, it makes me twitchy.

8. Morgan says:

I LOVE the picture of your daughter with a helmet! My husband & I just had our 2nd boy and hope to have a large family and as much humor as you! : )

PS We can’t wait to see your son’s baseball pic!

9. Ashley says:

Did you wear your new gardening clogs? Maybe they were what was missing in years past. Now that you have them, none of your flowers will die? Plus they’re cute.

10. Kristen says:

LOL, I love her helmet. I would probably have mine in a helmet too, if I even let them play with a bat. Oh man, my kids are going to be warped.

11. Lori says:

I think the helmet is a fine idea. I had a friend whose daughter received a serious head injury from being hit with a bat by another child who did not see her running near him. All sports can be dangerous. A little common sense never hurts.

12. Kris says:

Where’s the mask over her face? ;)

13. Chris says:

Okay, I *was* joking about the helmet and boots. She likes to wear them as fun accessories.

Your home is so beautiful! I

LOL.. I just loved that first sentence! and totally giggled through the pictures :)

16. Fold My Laundry Please says:

Kids make everything easier, don’t they? I’m a control freak and having children has taught me A LOT of patience and I’ve learned to let go of things (sometimes) and not stress out over everything.

17. novaks8 says:

I LOVE that picture of your daughter!

She looks so tough and full of confidence.

I pity the boys as she gets older. She will never take any crap from anyone and she will have men all figured out from living with so many of them her whole life!

18. meredith says:

Looks like your flower boxes are off to a good start!

19. Kathy says:

My daughter has that same skirt and wants to know what she’s doing in your pictures…LOL

20. mary says:

Hahaha–I love the t-ball photo. I have you tell you a story now: my son went to summer daycamp until he was ten years old. The last summer he was there, on the last day, he was goofing around with one of the counselors–a young guy, of course. The counselor pitched a *basketball* to him, and my son swung at it with a lightweight aluminum bat. He hit it, but the basketball had as much momentum as the bat–good physics lesson!–the basketball bounced off the bat and went forward, and the bat bounced off the ball and hit my son hard in the face, hard enough to cause a huge lump to swell up on his cheekbone. The camp called an ambulance and he was taken to the emergency room. I don’t know if the helmet your daughter is wearing would protect her against that kind of stupidity!

21. jen says:

did you …did you put a bike helmet on her head to hit a motionless ball?

You deserve an award. I don’t know what for, but you do.

I 2nd someone’s comment here, that needs to be blown up and displayed somewhere.