I Survived

I Survived

June 17, 2006

and the experience was much like I thought it would be.

As we walked to the car, me carrying a kicking, naked, 18 month old. The three year old close on my heels, covered from head to toe with sand, shivering yet screaming. The other children sulking that we dare to leave the beach after only four and a half hours. My 10 year old turned to me and says, “Can we come back tomorrow?”

Overall it was mostly fun. I did age significantly as the baby kept running in to the water, then would lose his footing and toddle around like a drunk sailor. My 11 year old did an Oscar worthy performance of getting attacked by a shark which made all of us at the beach laugh hysterically. I don’t know where he gets his flare for the dramatic.

(Before anyone gets all defensive about this and emails me links to people were actually attacked by sharks at the beach and how I should know this and not let my child pretend…blah blah blah… my panties are in a knot and I must complain to someone. We were at a beach lake. And as far as I know sharks do not live in lakes.)

But you know what does live in lakes? Leeches. Leeches live in lakes. And one of my sons found one stuck on his leg. Immediately I flashed to the scene in the movie Stand By Me, and said “You better check everywhere for more.” with a little nod to the bathing suit region.

We were treated to having some young adult people sitting near us. I think they were college students. One of the men was the loud mouth, obnoxious, but I thinks he is god’s gift to the ladies, type. I can’t go into the details of all he was saying about his sex life, or wannabee sex life I suspect, because I am trying to block the horror from my mind. But suffice it to say at one point I wanted to go up to him in the middle of his story and say, “There is a reason that your last date told you that she had a boyfriend suddenly three hours into the date. It is called lying. You are rude, obnoxious, and so in love with yourself you don’t need a date you need a blow up doll.”

Then I thought of Mir and her horrid experiences with online dating services and came to the realization that this type of guy… is all that is left. So yesterday I gave her the ever so helpful advice of combing through old obituaries in search of a man worthy of dating. I just realized as I typed this, it sounds as if I am encouraging dating dead men. And well, that would be an improvement also.

This morning was my 10 yr old son’s final baseball game of the season. It was pouring rain this morning which made a baseball game that much more enjoyable. You know enjoyable if you are 1) a ten year old boy, 2) love having your clothes soaking wet and clinging to your body, or 3) love to be as muddy as humanly possible. I am none of those things. Also, I should buy an umbrella.

In case you fear that I will be bored with all my new found “free” time, let me reassure you that the next two weeks are the playoff and championship games. And then the All Star League. Yes, both sons made it to the All Star teams. Though it is still being kept from them until after the championship games.

All this to say, baseball season has only just begun at my house.

Comments

1. Ashley says:

I have a 4 hour beach limit, as well. That walk from the beach to the parking lot can be hell.

2. Lori says:

well, did he check everywhere for leaches? The slugs will get you here in Oregon!

3. Jenn says:

This isn’t really a comment about your post, but simply to say “I LOVE your blog.” I read several and you have the best. Love it, love it, love it! Have a good weekend!

4. Mir says:

Actually, you said widowers, to me, but now I’m thinking dead men would actually be the most logical way to go. Thanks! ;)

5. jody says:

Whoo hooo!! LOVE your new site. The colors, everything!

Congrats on your new digs!

6. Maddy says:

Leaches eeeewwwww, I do hope you didn’t find any more.

7. rachel says:

glad I wasn’t the only one crazy enough to go to the beach yesterday! We also lasted 4 hours, and they asked to go back today. Sadly, it didn’t work out today.

Today was hot here, and the last soccer game of the season. yippeee!

ewwww on the leeches. we have nice ocean water with just little hermit crabs and snails. you’re welcome to swim here leech-free any time.

8. Nohe 5 says:

The last time I went to the beach I only had two. Now I am up to three and starting to calculate the cost of a vacation au pair. Does that even exist? I dare to dream.

9. Jen3 @ Amazing Triplets says:

But, did you bring your camera?

I took our 19-month olds to the beach, by myself, 3 weeks ago and I forgot my camera. Not that I would have had time to take any pictures as I was chasing them all over the place. But what I really appreciated about this outing was that they took a 3-hour nap following this excursion that I had to WAKE them up from. Now we go to the beach everyday.

Not really. Although, that idea holds some merit…

10. dawn says:

I love your blog! I can totally relate to the baseball and beach, I just wrote about both at my blog today!

11. meritt says:

As another baseball mom you have my condolences and congratulations (both, together, simotaneously) on the Championships and the All Star League.

We had our ‘last’ game of the season last Sunday. I was SO happy, only another baseball parent could understand. EXCEPT then we were told the coach had managed to RESCHEDULE two makeup games. So we had games on Tuesday and Thursday.

LOL… and shaking my head.

12. jody says:

We are so done. Cory was asked to be on the All Stars team, and he turned it down (happy dance). He was burned out big time.

13. Mary says:

My soon-to-be stepsons are sporty kids too. The older one (13) is doing summer basketball. The younger one (12) just finished up baseball and is doing the All-Star team. I happen to love baseball season because it gives me a reason to sit outside and chat with all the moms. But it does get a little endless sometimes!

Love the new design!

14. InterstellarLass says:

A dead man might have more personality than the guy there at the beach. A definite improvement.

Leeches! YUCK!

15. joyofsix says:

All star league? The mind boggles. I keep repeating, three more weeks, three more weeks, then baseball hell is over. And I put my fingers in my ears and sang when the words summer basketball league left my sons’ mouths.

My husband came across your blog while searching for home remodeling sites, he informed me that I had to read it. He was convinced I’d find your blog funny. Hilarious is more like it, and i’ve only read a few posts!!!