the club you don’t want to join

the club you don’t want to join

June 18, 2006

Scene:

At the baseball field, one father talking to another

Father One: See you tomorrow! Hope you have a great Father’s Day.

Father Two: Oh, I am sure that I will.

Father One laughs.

Father Two: Here’s hoping you get as lucky as me and get that patio furniture for Father’s Day, like you really wanted.

Father One laughs: Well, I got two roaster chickens to cook myself for Father’s Day.

Father Two: That’s bad.

The laughter fades away. At this point they both pause in solemn recognition of what brought them to this shared fate. They nod to each other, wave and drive off.

The moral of the story:

Mother’s Day comes before Father’s Day for a reason.

Comments

1. Jeff says:

For fathers day, All I wanted was a nap.

2. Lilorfnannie says:

I’d be happy if my husband wanted something for Father’s Day. All he wants to do is sit on the couch & watch tv or play video games. He doesn’t want any presents, because he doesn’t want me to waste money on it. He doesn’t want to go out to dinner, it’s a waste of money. And his back hurts. So the kids make him cards & little presents and the rest of the day is a waste. And he never did call his own father today- let alone send him a card or anything.

3. Gwen says:

I think that I will start buying my own gift for Mother’s Day and suggest my husband do the same for himself on Father’s Day. I’m one of those people who loves to be surprised, but only if the surprise I’m given is exactly what I had in mind, so I’m always disappointed.

Isn’t my husband lucky to have me? LOL.

4. Lisa says:

I feel terrible - my husband must have mentioned a trillion things he wanted, but do you think I could think of anything? I think I disappointed him this year. Ugh.

5. Mir says:

Bwahahahahahaaaaaaaaa….

6. moe says:

All men really want is time off for a nap, mindless tv, read the paper…

You want to know what my hubby did on father’s day?

Hacked out a stump in our backyard. Laid patio stones (his idea not mine) Planted Tomatoes, cucumbers and peppers, sweat, he did a lot of sweating.

I did grill up a very nice steak and shrimp dinner. Then the kids complained all through dinner.

I bet he’s glad to be back at work in air conditioned luxury with no kids or yard work!

7. InterstellarLass says:

My dad used to buy his own gifts and play golf by himself on Father’s Day. Our little gifts never seemed to matter much. All he got this year was an e-card. I felt kinda bad, but I have a feeling he really doesn’t care.

8. Beth says:

Around these parts, Mother’s Day does indeed determine what happens on Father’s Day, to some degree. My son’s dad had our son scribble something on a piece of paper minutes before bringing him back for Mother’s Day, so I definitely didn’t feel the need to knock myself out for Father’s Day. However, I plan to teach my son how to shop for me for Mother’s Day, because his dad sure isn’t going to teach him. ;^)

9. Eli's Mom says:

Awesome!! :) So true…

10. rachel says:

i got water in the house and mold for mother’s day

my husband got the drywall pulled out of the house and no electricity for father’s day

i think we’re even. :)

11. Andrea Q says:

My husband got a season of the Simpsons on DVD and then time alone to watch it. He asked for a few hours of peace and quiet, which is what he gave me for Mother’s Day.

12. Maddy says:

I think Fathers Day should be the day Dad gets to have his boys all to himself … all day …. I always unselfishly pop out with the girls, just to keep out of his way of course.

13. Elaine says:

For Mother’s Day, my wonderful husband bought me new car (the 11 year old Cavalier with crank windows finally gave up and he was having guilt over his sporty Mazda 6/ midlife crisis?). I bought him new running shoes for Father’s Day. I figured we both got modes of transportation, right? right? honey?