rain, rain…

rain, rain…

June 28, 2006

GO AWAY!

I can’t even form a coherent sentence about the never ending rain. I think my brain may have become moldy.

My drought resistant flowers, which were not inexpensive, but purchased for their love of dry sunny weather and my already established inability to remember to water anything, those flowers are drowning.

Half of the doors in my house won’t shut any longer. Or if you do shut them, you can’t easily open them. Which wouldn’t be too much of a big deal except one of those rooms is the guest bathroom and guests usually don’t like to pee with an audience. I don’t know why. I have personally done my pottying with an audience for years. I am especially fond of the clapping and discussing of the contents of the potty.

The other night my daughter woke up in the middle of the night and couldn’t open her bedroom door. There was much crying and screaming. Though it did bolster her claim that she is in fact Cinderella. If only I could get mice to save her.

She has taken to calling me the Stepmother and instructs me to sing the song about all the work she has to do. You know the one:

Cinderelly, Cinderelly
Night and day it’s Cinderelly
Make the fire, fix the breakfast
Wash the dishes, do the mopping
And the sweeping and the dusting

But I like to change the lyrics:

Cinderelly, Cinderelly
Night and day, it’s Cinderelly
make the fire, pick your toys up
wash your hands,
and wipe you own butt

or:

Cinderelly, Cinderelly
Night and Day, it’s Cinderelly
make the fire, clean the toilet
eat your dinner,
NO more bottles!

yes, I do believe in encouraging my daughter to be a pyromaniac.

And she will get mad and say that I’m not singing the song right and then I will make up different lyrics. Oh, the rainy day fun. I can hardly stand it. Finally we will settle on some she likes:

Cinderelly, Cinderelly
Night and Day, it’s Cinderelly
Eat some candy, watch the t.v.
Have some icecream
Let me serve you!

Then when I am feeling particularly sorry for myself and martyr like I sing the Disney version only changing Cinderelly to Cinder-mommy.

Comments

1. Mary says:

We are waterlogged here too.

There is a grapevine in the back that has been growing a foot a day with the rain! It is like the scene in Jumanji where the vines take over the house!

2. Meg says:

“Wipe your own butt”

BWAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

Chris, you are so funny. I’m glad I’m not the only mom who makes up my own version of those songs that get stuck in my head for hours. It drives the kids crazy, but at least it’s entertaining!

4. Karin says:

Your story today leaves me laughing and thinking of my own wonderful granddaughter. She will be 4 last month and only you will appreciate this story…

Yesterday I was in the bathroom doing my business when she just flings open the bathroom door and asks me “Grandma, Are you peeing or pooping?? I tell her what I am doing and ask her to close the door PLEASE!! Well, she is not ready to close the door and asks “does it stink in there?” I tell her No, of coarse it does not stink, it is me afterall….and she yells (mind you, she is yelling, not talking anymore) EWWWWWW IT DOES TO STINK IN THERE and promply runs away, not closing the door and leaving me sitting on the pot.
    They are wonderful and I would not have it any other way (most the time)
    I love your blog. God Bless.

5. JustLinda says:

What is it with the audience in the bathroom? The other day I snuck away for a nice private pee and 2 seconds later, there were two kids standing in front of me with a look of expectation. “I’m glad you could make this meeting.” I said. “The stock price is at an all time low and SOMETHING MUST BE DONE!”

My two year old burst into tears and ran out of the room. I guess she’s not ready for the pressures of corporate life.

6. liz says:

Your song is MUCH better than Disney’s version.

Laughing so hard.

7. Cheryl says:

Chris - you do sound a bit waterlogged….is there a way you can send the rain to south Louisiana…we’ve gone from Katrina/Rita last year to drought-like conditions this year…..sounds like you would share your rain if you could. :) My once three-year-old is now almost 11 - they grow up way too fast. :(

8. Stephanie says:

Oh changing the words is a hobby around here. But if you have spent all day cleaning and want to sing a song about the mommy who does it all to the group of video playing children it is probably better if the first song that pops into your head isn’t the theme song from ‘the pirates who don’t do anything’.

9. Maliavale says:

I have had that song burned into my brain since I was a child, and every time I hear the name “Gus” I think of the fat mouse, and my brain starts singing it on a loop.

Luckily, not many people are named Gus.

(We’llllll tie a sash around it! Stick a ribbon through it! Etc. Etc. Help me.)

10. Pam says:

Living in central NH I can sympathize with you completely about the continued rain with a teaser-day of sunshine once in a while. Our doors and drawers are stuck as well. I feel we have nearly consumed our indoor summer bored list and it’s only the end of June. I didn’t think we would be spending so much time swimming indoors at the YMCA instead of at our neighborhood pool.

11. InterstellarLass says:

Our doors won’t open and shut well either. Except it’s because we’re so dry.

12. judi casey says:

we (near dc) just came throught the 4 days of rain- over 13″. i have made a new and beloved friend in all of this- our wet vac.
    we have spent many nights together in the basement now. bu today is sunny!!! you will likely get this tomorrow- help is on the way!

13. carrien says:

Funny songs, especially wiping your own butt.

14. Lilorfnannie says:

Maybe if we all shout together in unison-

“Rain, rain, go away! Come again some other day! Little Johnny wants to play- Come again some other day!!!”

We could also bribe the rainclouds with Key Lime Pie to stop raining- of course, since the clouds can’t actually eat the pie, we could offer it and then eat it for them- It’s the thought that counts-

15. Maddy says:

Thanks, thanks very much, I’ll be humming that bloody song for hours.

Hmmmm perhaps I can change the words myself and get my two boys moving on some jobs.

16. Suburban Turmoil says:

What I wouldn’t give for a little bit of your rain on a hot Tennessee day like today…

Hope things get better up there. And you have seven kids AND a guest bedroom? Then I fully expect to see you show up soon on MTV Cribs! ;)

17. jody says:

Sending you some extra hot sunshine from Texas to burn off all the rain…..or, better yet, lets swap.

Must remember the Cinderelly “wipe your own butt” song to sing….I will masculinize it for Quinn.

18. the Smocklady says:

Oh, I do ‘Cinder-mommy’ all the time! Take my sunshine. Please! My pregnant belly can take no. more. heat!

At least your daughter listens to you sing. Both my children start telling me “no sing mommy, no sing”. As if I didn’t already have an inferiority complex, I now have a 2 and 4 year old telling me I can’t sing!!!

20. kwink says:

I too especially like the clapping in the bathroom from the audience.

21. Cmommy says:

This is why I must read your blog daily–yes, posts like this one! C

22. Pieces says:

Sooo funny! I’m sorry about the rain. The irony of the drought-resistant flowers is painful.

23. hillgrandmom says:

fun blog. I can see that continuous rains are the pits , whichever country it is! Luckily the last few days around here we have atleast been getting some sunshine so the mildew’s kept at bay.

24. KEP says:

“bolsters her claim that she is in fact Cinderella, getting mice to save her”… made me laugh so hard! We do a lot of that around here too.