Crying Uncle

Crying Uncle

July 20, 2006

Okay, I spent at least ten bleary eyed hours at my computer teaching myself all things web design and html and whatever else it is that I was forced to learn while tearing my hair from my head and watching the laundry pile up around me until I lost a few small children in it.

I can now officially cross it off of my list of 40 things to do before I turn 40, because I have learned enough to know that I don’t want to learn anymore.

But my new blog isn’t done yet.
Because I am webtarded. And so are all my friends. We may just start a club.

If anyone has any wordpress knowledge and wants to help me out, email me and i’ll be your best friend forever.

Because if I can’t figure out how to make the posts UNcenter themselves and align to the left, I might just die. And how sad would that be to have happen before Blogher.

Updated to add: I wasn’t talking about this blog. I was talking about a different one. I wouldn’t mess with this one after paying a designer to do it.

Comments

1. ASevereMary says:

They look uncentered and to the left now. Success!

2. owlhaven says:

Looks perfect to me

Mary

3. jennster says:

LOL @ webtarded!!!!

4. Tasia says:

Look for where it says and type in “left” where it says “center”. Good luck! I love your blog by the way :)

5. Tasia says:

That didn’t work it took out the html haha okay look for where it says body=align and where it says center type in “left”.

6. Trivial Mom says:

Do you mean align the text to the left, or the column? The text looks great to me, but I don’t think it’s changed since the last time I stopped by. . . I absolutely HATE HTML. I think personal blog designers should come with every account. And you could tell them what you want in ENGLISH and they would fix it for you. You know like english to blog translators.

7. Mary says:

Oh, I see. Never mind.

8. T in HD says:

I create my own blog using DW and I’m having the same #$@!$%#@%! problems. And futsing around with the html and going through all the settings has availed me nothing as of yet. I’m freakin’ pulling my hair out. And the kicker is, I have a different page for each month. Some months are left aligned, others have center aligned themselves. I say they’ve done it themselves because they were originally left aligned and stayed that way for, well, a year or more. Then, after moving all my files from our desktop to my new laptop this past January, several months suddenly started coming up center aligned. And. nothing. can. fix. it. ARRGGGGGHHHHH.

I feel your pain.

9. jody says:

I have to run to work, but I will send you the code when I get home this afternoon.

10. Colleen says:

Are you talking about this site? It looks good to me.

The worst part about Wordpress is that you have to learn about style sheets in addition to the HTML and it can get pretty confusing (even if you aren’t webtarded).

I can try to help you if I can see the application you’re talking about. But I may require prepayment in the necessary alcoholic provisions to make it through.

11. Danielle Hunt says:

No comment on this particular subject because I am webtarded myself but I was wondering how the bite on your ass is doing?

12. Terri says:

Uh oh. I was thinking about switching to WordPress from Blogger. Hmm. There has to be an easier way, right? If only I could get hubby to let me buy that new iBook, I could just be lazy and use iLife.

13. Jamie says:

I just want to say I am also webtarded and I also use wordpress. I feel your pain. I have learned to copy my sidebar code into a Word file before I tinker around with it because I will screw it up. That was my husband’s advice. I didn’t want to take it, but he was right. Damit. Good luck!

14. Daisy says:

On the same topic — does anyone use Microsoft Frontpage? My husband uses it for his website, prefers it to HTML by a long shot, and I wondered if it’s possible to do a blog in Frontpage, too.

Chris - have you tried the forums over at the various WP sites? I know, they aren’t perfect. Is it something in your CSS? Look for any place that utilizes the word “center”. Trying running the site through an css & xhtml verification such as w3. It can find broken lines of code and unclosed tags, with the line number of the problem. If you check the little box to see the source code then you can scroll down to see the line it refers to and maybe find a fix. Also, other people have had this issue, not sure how they resolved it but you might want to google “wordpress align center” or something like that and see what comes up. Good luck, I hope you get it figured out!