I can now resume driving my car

I can now resume driving my car

July 25, 2006

Today I went to the DMV to renew my driver’s license. No, I didn’t have to retake the test. That happens after 24 months in my state. No one yelled at me. The policeman there even smiled.

It was completely uneventful. I was in and out within fifteen minutes. The only thing I thought about while there was the fact that they were renewing the driver’s license of a woman who had to be at least 90 years old, could barely hobble along without an assistant, and was shaking so much she dropped her paperwork on the ground. But yet, she can still have a license to drive a car. And most likely drive in front of me whenever I am in rush to get somewhere.

So after I left there I decided to get a manicure, which is very UNlike me. But I thought what the hell, why not. My hands are now sufficiently moisturized, clipped of all stray cuticles, and painted a shiny pink that I have already manage to chip. Can’t take me anywhere.

While in the shop there was a young woman who was dressed as though she were a stripper. A stripper who was half way done with her routine. I have seen people in skimpy clothes before, but nothing like this. My three year old daughter even asked her why her shorts were so small.

But the bigger question I had, shortness aside, was why were they unbuttoned and zipped showing off the front triangle of her black underwear with a little rhinestone heart? Why? For the love of all things that are holy please don’t let this be a trend or I will be forced to become a stark raving lunatic who wanders the streets screaming, “Is this what women burned their bras for? This?”

And then her shirt had the entire collar cut off and hung off of one braless shoulder. And the bottom of the shirt was cut off and then tied somehow in the back. Seriously I wanted to ask her some questions and find out what would prompt a girl to dress like this. Does she like the attention it gets her? And I can only imagine the kind of attention it would get.

I have never seen an outfit like this, aside for a beer poster that college boys would have hanging up in their dorm rooms.

But the oddest part was when she asked me if I was looking for a babysitter. I mean she could very well be the best babysitter that ever walked the face of the earth, but dressed like that she isn’t coming into my house to babysit my preteen boys.

And this is what I get to look at until the year 2011:

driver's license

Comments

1. ben says:

Speaking on behalf of pre-teen boys everywhere:

Aw, MOOOOOMM! You never let us have ANY FUN.

2. Rebecca says:

My utterly innocent four-year-old son tends to make loud judgemental statements about girls dressed like that: “Mama, why is that girl showing off her BIG FAT BELLY?”
    It’s very embarrasing.

So, I know this is not the point of your post, but I live in CT too—24 months! Seriously!!??!! Did not know that, but it certainly (present company excluded, of course) explains a LOT!!

I swear that I’m hoping by the time my daughter is preteen I am hoping vintage comes back, as in Victorian Vintage. Head to Toe coverage. Let’s face it, it seems that if the styles don’t start going the other direction, clothing period is going to go out of style!!!

5. Julie says:

I think you may have run into the American version of Vicky Pollard. From “Little Britain.” And if you haven’t ever watched the show, then you should.

6. Heather from One Woman's World says:

Honey, now THAT is a driver’s license picture worth being proud of. Cute.

I guess I’ll button up my short shorts before heading to the store today. It’s too bad, too, because my undies were cute enough to make quite a stir.

7. Jo says:

Oh kill me NOW if that’s a new trend.

8. Adventures In Babywearing says:

Oh, just finding you, and I find you hilarious!

9. meritt says:

OMGosh… just look at your awesome drivers license photo. I don’t know if I should hate you or be jealous. You OBVIOUSLY didn’t have a husband with you that ’scuffed ya’ across the forehead playfully JUST before the photo was taken so that you had a huge weird bad-bangs day to live with on your photo for the next 7 years… no….. not you.

Ummm that would just be ME!

LOL.

That is a good picture. My 11 yr old would LOVE her to babysit him. He was staring at a girl at the mall today who could have been that girl. Are you sure you don’t live in GA?
    Cute nails, too.

11. lipstickface says:

ok. the photo - fantastic you adorable little thing you!

Now lets get on with business. WHO dresses like that IN CONNECTICUT?!?!?!?!?!?!?

CONNECTICUT!!!!!!!!!!! WHAT?!

12. Trivial Mom says:

Pretty Pink Nails!

Oh, and cute picture too. My drivers liscence picture was taken 2 months after my daughter was born. I look like a cow.

13. Heth says:

Great nails! They look FAAAAbulous.

I recently saw a girl wearing a mini skirt that was so mini, I expected to see butt cheeks peeking out the bottom. Even more disturbing was looking around at how many men were staring at her. Old nasty men.

*shiver*

14. MamaDuck says:

Yipes. I wouldn’t want people staring at me, not that I’d dress that way anyway…. who knows what they are thinking.

15. Maddy says:

I want to see a photo of the girl, and the nails.

16. kalisah says:

that’s a mighty nice photo for a DMV shot.

17. Erin (erin-erin-bo-berin) says:

Before I walk out of the house, I look at myself in the full-length mirror and ask, “What is the impression I’m giving?” Most days, I can answer, “She’s a SAHM - that’s the standard uniform: t-shirt and jeans.”
    You look great in your DL photo! Nobody ever thinks they look good.
    I renewed my TX driver’s license online, and they used the old picture. It’s good, except that I was three days away from delivering my second daughter, and more than 100 pounds overweight. I actually like showing it to cashiers and having them do a double-take. Is that wierd?

18. kristarella says:

That looks like an alright photo. My first licence photo was good! I wish they didn’t have to take new ones :P

Did you ask her if she’d wear more clothes in the event she baby-sat your kids?

19. Maliavale says:

I once passed a woman with her shorts so short and unbuttoned like you described. However, instead of showing off her undies, she was showing off her pubes.

She was the first hooker I ever saw.

20. Kathleen Marie says:

We run a Christian camp and retreat center and rent the camp to various groups, some Christian, some non Christian. Last summer we had a group there and some of the woman were laying out near the playground in bikini’s etc. My 14 year old came up to the house and said “Mom, I just saw the most gross, disgusting ladies I have ever seen!” and he proceeded to tell me what was up or off.

We also have had problems with cleavage. I wonder why women think showing their boobs to every person in the world is sexy. Weird.

21. Crazedmomof4 says:

You should have given her the names of the know it all moms!

Your pic is very pretty, are you sure you’re old enough to have preteens?

22. Chris says:

I just had to take my test. I was ONE day over the limit. (btw, here it is a 60 day grace period. You lucky dog.) Imagine my embarassment when my husband (a cop) informed me, while driving, that I had an expired license. Whoopsie.

As far as the hoochie-mama/wanna-be babysitter, I would have given her an “Oh, hell no.”

You got your hair done before going to the DMV, didn’t you? C’mon, admit it. I know you did. It looks too good in that picture to be a wash’n'go.

24. T in HD says:

That tart’s, uh, I mean, young lady’s excessive exposure of all God’s given her is called “fashion” and is therefore perfectly, publicly acceptable. However, please don’t allow this sort of acceptable public exposure to lull you into believing it is any more acceptable to expose more than a square millimeter of skin in public while breastfeeding. Indeed, it really isn’t appropriate at all that anyone should even be able to *tell* you are doing something as filthy as breastfeeding at all. You should disguise it with a blanket or try to avoid doing it in public at all. Oh dear, please pardon my sarcastic soap-boxing.

Your picture is lovely. I hope you have a great time on your trip. And, um, you wouldn’t be expecting your period anytime soon, would you. ;-)

25. Cellobella says:

Nice nails…

Wow, that’s an awesome picture! Cute nails! I managed to chip my last manicure before I was even out of the shop.

Darling picture! You look about 25.

I, too, am shocked that a woman in Connecticut would dress that way! Out here in California, sure. But CONNECTICUT!? What is this world coming to.

And, I’m with everyone else; kill me now if that is the new trend.

My mom doesn’t know how lucky she was that the PREPPY look was all the rage when I was in high school! Izod polos and tassle loafers. What more could a mother ask for?

28. InterstellarLass says:

OK, that’s not fair. I went to the DMV and didn’t even make it through the line, after using up an extra “hour” fo lunch. And you got your license immediately. And it’s a good picture. Not fair!

29. Salsa Queen says:

It’s not just CT if it makes you feel any better. I am in FL and recently saw T-back undies for little girls. And yes, I mean the 4-10 year old little girls.I’m sorry, but if my sister ever bought those for my 4 year old niece, I’d have to slap the living s&*t outta her. There was also an article in our local newspaper about a 21 year old father who could not find “thug” apparel for his infant son, so he has now designed his own infant thug clothing line.@@ Slated to make over $17 Million this year. Stop the world, I wanna get off.

30. Kris says:

Great picture! Have a blast at BlogHer

31. ctmommie says:

Im sorry to hear that chick is in CT. I too live in CT and I was reading this thinking oh gosh where is she from….nice real nice. So what was your answer when she asked if you were looking for a babysitter?