My bags are packed

My bags are packed

July 25, 2006

It is 12:30am and I need to get up in five hours to leave for the airport.

I have successfully packed about 25 different outfits into my suitcase, because you never know what you might need. Also I have packed two boxes worth of tampons, because I just don’t trust that I can buy them all the way over there in California. Also, I am a freak who always likes to be prepared.

This is why I was never able to packback around Europe because unless I could carry my apartment on my back I couldn’t do it. “But what if I were in the middle of Paris and I NEEDED my melon baller, how would I survive?” Recently I read a magazine article about a couple that has been bicycling around the world with all of their possessions in their backpacks. They showed some amazing photos and related some incredible stories. And for a few minutes I thought, “Wow, I want to do that. That would be so awesome.” And for those few minutes I really meant it.

And then I came to my sensesthought some more and realized a) I would have to actually PEDAL my bicycle around the world and that would require exertion and sweating, two things I try to avoid whenever possible, b) I’d have to pack light and c) sensible shoes.

I have a jacket, a sweater, and four pair of shoes in my luggage. I thought that seemed excessive, but Mir has packed five pair of shoes. But I have everything packed into my carry on bag. My laptop case is packed with my laptop (duh, really chris?), camera, charging thingies (me so technical), and yes, more tampons (always prepared, like a boy scout).

So the big bunch of grapes I bought to snack on are going to have to go on my head, like a festive hat. At least everyone will recognize me.

“Oh Chris? She’s the one with the fruit headress handing out tampons like they are party favors.”

Comments

1. KigoGal says:

I hope airport security doesn’t think your copious quanitity of tampons are a bomb or something. I always worry about that when I have “too many” tampons in my purse or carry-on. I’m a total ninny! :-) Have fun at blogher!

2. Gator Wrestlin Mama says:

I couldn’t backpack for a long time anywhere either because I, like you, would need to pack everything INCLUDING the kitchen sink (LOL).

Have fun at Blogher! It sounds like it’s going to be a blast!

Jody in Mississippi

3. Gillian says:

You have all those sons and you don’t know that you can’t even get an eagle scout to pack tampons? So terrible. I apologize. I was overstressed with imagining you with all your worldly goods in a backpack. Please have too much fun to endure!

4. Maddy says:

I can tell you’re tired, *packback* around Europe hey?

Have a wonderful time and take lots of photos.

And don’t worry about your husband too much, he has the kids to look after him.

5. Annalise says:

Have fun - I’m envious of you :-)

6. Madjoyfish says:

Hey Chris, have a great time! Slightly concerned that you don’t seem to have made any further mention of your possible spider bite…I presume all is well and you are not being flesh-eaten! Hope my link to the pictures was not upsetting. Enjoy your trip!

Madeleine

7. Carmen says:

OOoh, squee! I’ll be meeting you in about 24 hours!!!

8. Y says:

Am I going to be the only one there without a laptap? I’m pretty sure that I am.

Also? FIVE PAIRS OF SHOES? You people are freaking me out with the overpacking, man.

Have a great time at BlogHer! I’m so freaking jealous, I think I’ll just carry around a box of tampons to feel closer to you all.

10. Karin says:

Chris,
    Just a note to let you know that I just got back from California and it is HOT HOT HOT there, put away the sweater and the jacket, there will be no need for them there. Oh yes, and have a great trip, we will be looking forward to hearing how everything is going.

11. Anna says:

LOL, you’re going to be the one everyone turns to for ‘female supplies.’ I’m always the one who runs around saying “Psst… got any tampons?” Nobody ever has one!

Have a great time! You WILL be updating, won’t you?
    /worries about blog withdrawl

12. kasey says:

I hear that! I ALWASY have to pay extra for my ‘over weight’ luggage (yes they do that) even when I try and pack light. AND I brought a whole big box of tampons on our trip that was the 14th - 17th, I didn’t even start until the 23rd, like a week after we were home… so yeah. Not to mention 4 pairs of shoes, and 3 purses…for a weekend getaway. I hope you have a great trip!

13. ben says:

I like Katie’s idea. I have a box of tampons right here next to the computer.

(which is making my co-workers wonder just a little bit)

Also, a couple years ago we had a fantastic couple stay with us for a few days that were riding their bikes around the world. Coincidence?

14. Cheryl says:

Have a wonderful trip, Chris and just think of what awaits you when you arrive at the airport on your return trip home……hubby and kids there to meet you and that man will hand you roses and in front of everyone bend down and kiss your glorious feet!!!!! :)

Have fun out there!

16. kate says:

Have a great time! And blog while you are there telling us about all the fabulous people you meet!

Hey, look at it this way: If you take a boat and it springs a leak, you will have just the fix! A tampon… voila!

(You HAVE seen that crazy commercial, right? I couldn’t make this stuff up if I tried.)

18. Beth says:

I didn’t know that Boy Scouts are supposed to carry tampons, but I’ll file this away for future reference. ;^)

19. M&Co. says:

You are a woman after my own heart!

20. Crazedmomof4 says:

I wonder the same question that has already been mentioned,… Why do Boy Scouts carry a box of tampons? But I guess it is in case the canoe springs a leak or their tent gets a hole in it, or maybe for a science project, to see how much water the thing can soak up!

Have a great time. Three of my favorite reads getting together. You, Mir & Y. Just be careful if Y wants to show you her shed, or if Mir wants to show pics of her driveway getting sealed! ;)

21. suzanne says:

you never fail to make me laugh out loud! thanks for the joy you spread.

22. InterstellarLass says:

Tampons as party favors…now that’s an idea…

23. The Lazy Organizer says:

Prepared like a Boy Scout on the rag?

I think men SHOULD carry tapons with them; in their glove compartments, brief cases, man bags. I made my husband do it before we were even married!

You can NEVER have too many shoes. Ever.

I think that’s in the Boy Scout motto somewhere.

25. Kristen says:

Wow, a trip with no kids. You SHOULD be jumping and squealing with delight. Have a great time!

26. kathy says:

Man I could use some of those tampons. they are the only things that allow me to break down the diningroom table into a bed.

I’m thinking you’re referring to Cindy and Tim’s website and adventure. I keep waiting to find out what they couldn’t mention in China!

Have a loverly time at Blogwhomever. :)

27. Maliavale says:

Fruit headdress and tampon party favors?! The fun begins!

28. Suebob says:

You’re going to be there? Now I feel even more faint. I have only 4 pair of shoes, counting flip-flops. And a big ol bottle of gin.