Just in case you miss me

Just in case you miss me

July 29, 2006

I have a post up over at dotmoms today, titled Jump rope is not a a contact sport.

After I had children, FIVE boy children in a row, I started to suspect that certain things were just inborn. The way that they reacted to things was just different. The way they chose to interact with each other was just different. Not better or worse, just different than all the little girls my friends had.

Then, three years ago, I had a girl. A girl of my very own.

Comments

1. Laundry Woman says:

If I had known other moms with lots of kid were bloggin, I might have saved myself the time. I’ve always been a writer, journaler- what have you. My teacher introduced me to blogging and it sort of stuck. I had no idea the blogging was a popular sport until I read an article in an online journal about mommy bloggers. Since then, I’ve been an avid lurker and sometimes commenter. I get very little action on my blog. I don’t know why, but I guess it doesn’t matter because I have a real life, You know? But it must be nice to have a “job” that is fun. My question for you is how you all pay the bills? We are constantly struggling (thank God, blogging is free) and I know I should get a job, but don’t know how to fit it in with Homeschooling, college and being a mom. Being a mother is the most important thing I can be, in my opinion and if I’m always saying “hold on, wait a minute” I don’t think that counts as being a mother… I want to be here spirit body and soul.
    Also, how do you deal with the whole extreme right wingedness of the major homeschooling people? It drives me nuts– the long dresses, submission and so forth. If I submit, there goes the organization. The hubs and I get along just fine- but fighting is part of our lives– he calls it “challenging” or “proving.” I call it being real. Okay, nuff for now. Email me at

2. Julie says:

Just wrote about these differences in my blog.Funny how it works that we can be thinking the same things at the same time and not know each other..

3. CaliforniaGrammy says:

You are right on. And I was not aware of the differences, having raised two daughters, until they blessed us with four grandsons and just one granddaughter. Boys are way different than girls … period!

4. Maliavale says:

I just read it on DotMoms, but I’m used to commenting to you on here. I think I talk a lot now (maybe), but I always think about this, too: What on EARTH did I have so much to say about when I was a kid, even a teenager? So when you said, names of long-lost dolls and pets, I went: A-HA! So if you could just take notes when your daughter talks and type them up and send them to me in memo-form, you know, for my own edification, that would be great. Through age 18, please. ;-)

5. Jen says:

I had a shock when my son was born. I have 2 sisters, went to an all girls school, my sister had a little girl, and all my friends had girls. And then my son was born - and I wondered what planet he had been beamed down from. He doesn’t STOP, he is constantly in motion, he has ants in his pants and is in to EVERYTHING. I had my friend’s small daughter round and I thought “great, I know what she can reach and I will childproof all that”. And then my son started to crawl and WHOAH, he got onto stuff I didn’t think he would reach for years. And when a car or helicopter or plane come over, he seems to be able to hear them from miles away and just STOPS DEAD in the middle of whatever he is doing. I love him to bits, he’s just too funny, but I do think I need a manual for him, as sometimes I just have no idea what’s up in his head!