Proving my age and my lack of all technical skills

Proving my age and my lack of all technical skills

July 29, 2006

Yesterday Stacy had told me to text message her and Kris. Not to call them, because apparently talking on the phone is not hip. But typing with those impossibly tiny keys is.

Before yesterday I have never sent a text message. So I began pushing the little buttons when I realized that I had no idea how to use a space bar. Also after the first two words I was tired. So I sent a text message that read “whatupwhreru” because I also didn’t know how to use the backspace key to erase my spelling errors.

Then I hit send.

Then Kris got it.

And since I had not signed my name she had no idea who this person was who did not have a firm grasp on the English language and lacked the ability to use the the space bar.

I had a point when I started typing this, but who knows what it was now. Kathryn is sitting next to me and trying to make me laugh instead of being my normally sedate serious self.

I am giving a speech later on today in front of all of these 750 people and I might just vomit.

Comments

1. Kim in MI says:

Ha! Did you ‘fess up to the whatupwhrur ??

2. Sus says:

THANK YOU. It’s nice to know I’m not the only loser with 5 inch thumbs.

3. Daisy says:

I raised my “cool” factor with my pre-teen students when they saw me text-messaging my teenage daughter. They’re easily impressed, though.

4. zookeeper says:

Aww heck- just use the old standby and imagine them all naked.Good luck with the speech!

5. jm says:

How was the speech? How did it go? (They loved you I’m sure.)

You text message??? I’m totally impressed. I can barely use a cell phone to make a CALL. That is, when I remember to charge it.

6. kathy says:

We don’t “do” cellphones. :) So not only do I not “do” text messages, I’m not exactly sure what it is. How could you get a message on a phone using the keypad. Is it tonal? Like morese Code? What the hell are you guys doing up there.

7. Maddy says:

My husband and I often text each other. It’s cheaper and if you are driving the car you don’t need to answer the phone just know there is a message waiting for you when you stop the car.

I will text something like *r u home yet?* he will reply something like *no*. He’s a man of few words.

8. kate says:

I love text messaging but yes it does take some getting used to.

What was the speech about? and how did it go?

OMG, I am sitting here at work reading this and laughing like a lunatic!!!

My best friend and ex-husband are both text messaging experts, and for the longest time they would send me these elaborate texts, but all I could write back was “OK.” Whether it made sense or not, or whether I was really OK with whatever it was they wanted at the time.

Mine was set up so that if you typed in an “H,” it would assume you were typing “HI” and would add in the “I” as some sort of evil assistance. So frustrating! I finally figured out how to take that “helpful” tool out of there so I could simply type what I wanted to say. However I haven’t mastered the punctuation yet, so the few times I do text, everything’s a run-on sentence.

OK

10. lipstickface says:

Howd the speech go?!?!?!
    WHAT DID YOU TALK ABOUT?!

I have a sidekick. Best $300 I ever spent.
    Im never without it. And never without something to do.

Line at the grocery store? I can text my sister.

Sitting in traffic? Checking my email.

Waiting for David to come out of work when I have to pick him up? Tetris.

I heart technology.

11. Gigi says:

Please tell us about your speech!