Fly away home, or not

Fly away home, or not

July 30, 2006

This morning at 6:30am Kathryn, a.k.a. Daring Young Mom popped up in bed and woke Mir and I up by screaming, “I overslept. I can’t believe I missed my flight.”

Then she proceeded to rush a round in a a hysterical panic while Mir and I sat on our beds and thought of the delicious breakfast that would be waiting for us downstairs once we got up and packed our things.

I packed up all of my stuff, which seemed to have reproduced exponentially in the few days I have been away, coupled with all the free shwag I was bringing home for the kids…from t-shirts to bibs to leather cd cases. I did toss the free condoms and the not so tasty, and badly named, bottled water into the trash.

My cell phone service had been spotty over the past day and I hadn’t talked to my husband or children since the previous morning. I called them and we were all excited.

My son asked, “When will you be home, Mommy?”

“I’ll be home after bedtime. But when you wake up in the morning tomorrow I’ll be there.” I asnwered.

“I miss you Mommy.”

“I really miss you too, baby”

Rinde and repeat this conversation several more times.

This is the longest I have ever been away from my children. In the past twelve years I think I can count on one hand the number of times I have gone anywhere and I have always only stayed overnight. I have never been away long enough to miss them. But this trip, I missed them all.

As I was gathering my stuff to leave the room I looked down at my boarding pass.

“Mir, why does my boarding pass say 9:00?” I asked. We had booked our flights at the same time and thought we were on the same flight coming home. I though it was a 1:00 flight.

And thus began a flurry of phone calls to the airline. I had missed my flight. I could fly home today if I wanted to change planes several times and pay upwards of $200 for the honor of running through the airport from gate to gate at each location and hoping not to miss any of the connections.

In the end I decided to stay an extra night. Though it kills me that I won’t see my kids for a whole other day. I never really cry, I am just not a crying type person, but everytime someone would say good morning to me this morning I would burst into tears.

The lovely Grace is coming to pick me up from the hotel and bring me to stay at her house. And she is even going to bring me to the beach. I am trying to be happy and thankful. On the upside I will see the Pacific Ocean.

Comments

1. Lucie says:

I am sorry that you will not see the kids for an extra day, but try to reframe it. Sometimes the unexpected happens for a reason.

Take Care

Oh Chris! You are going to be so happy just to hug and squeeze them when you get home aren’t you?

I’m so sad for you!

4. Rebecca says:

Oh, that’s so sad! This March, I had a serious infection and ended up in the hospital away from my kids for a week - the separation itself just about KILLED ME! But you’ll be home tomorrow. Take heart.

5. Gigi says:

That’s what we call an “uh-oh” moment- that sinking feeling you get when you realize something is really wrong. So sorry.

Oh Chris, so sorry. I dont think anyone is really prepared for something like this, and I dont care if you have kids or not, it just sucks.

Sending happy vibes your way and enjoy the ocean! You’ll be home sooner than you know it. :)

7. GraceD says:

Ha, ha, ha, Internet! I will be keeping Chris forever!!!

8. CaliforniaGrammy says:

A real bummer, Chris. But the Pacific Ocean IS something beautiful to see! Those kids will be full of smiles when you walk through the door!

Hug Grace for me. Aw, hell, just lick her feet for me, will you?

Thank you!

10. jody says:

Oh! Tears welled up when I read this. I “heart” you!

It is so hard to be away from our babies. Even when we are having fun.

By the way, I am so in envy of your time at BlogHer. I am so there next time. You will have to hold my hand while I bumble through it.

And your restraint with only one margarita has me bowing before you!

11. Laundry Woman says:

I understand, completely. I took a much needed mommy break a few states away two years ago, with none of the six, but the baby (who was nursing.) I missed them, but it turned out to be very, very good for me. The ocean??? Very soothing. And I’m sure Grace will take excellent care of you. Not too worry. It will pass in a moment.

12. kate says:

ANd you can read a book while at the beach because you will only have to be responsible for you…you can RELAX!

I am so sorry you missed your flight. Try and enjoy your extra night.

13. jm says:

Grace, from your name, I trust you (my daughter’s name is Grace) and I’m sure that you are showing Chris an excellent time. But please, please tell us that you will give her back at some point!!! How can I laugh at all of the mommy stuff without Chris?

I can’t tell you how many times I’ve done that… one time I had an 11:00 am flight, which I thought was a 1:10 flight. Another time, I had a boarding pass printed in military time for 14:00, and I thought it was for 1:40. Luckily, on that one, I was just really early.

I know what you’re going through… been there, done that. Hopefully it will make your homecoming that much sweeter.

Oh no!! I’m so sorry.

16. Novaks8 says:

Give it a week, you will be wishing you had stayed longer!

They will be fine.

17. carrien says:

I’m still in the not actually ready to leave them for an overnight yet. An all day? Sure, but not being there to put them in bed…I don’t know who would be more traumatized, me, or them.

I’m sorry. One time on a trip with just my husband (and Kelly, she was nursing), our flight got canceled and we had to stay a night in Dallas/Fort Worth. I was ready to walk home to Ohio, I missed the kids so much. So basically you’re not alone. ((hugs))

19. liz says:

Yeeeps. Big hugs and enjoy the ocean.

20. vicki says:

Oops! :( I once drove to Minn. to stay overnight in a hotel so we wouldn’t miss our morning flight, and missed it anyway. Then on the return trip home I missed it again!! It helps if you break down crying with your three little toe heads giving big sad eyes, the airline not only doesn’t charge you but they quickly handle everything for you to get you out of their Gate.

Vicki - seasoned traveler, but still an airhead

21. halloweenlover says:

Oh no Chris! You’ll be home soon! I’m sure the babies miss you terribly.

22. maddy says:

So sorry to hear about the mix up. I know you miss your family!

You MUST have a fun time at the beach, however, relaxing w/o anyone else to take care of but yourself…

23. Kristi from Small Things says:

They say absence makes the heart grow fonder, but no one added downright weepy! Funny how we long for time alone to sleep uninterrupted, talk uninterrupted, and even (joy of joys) THINK uninterrupted . . . and then suddenly all we want is our kids back.

Happy homecoming! I can imagine how joyful your family must be to have you home.

24. TC says:

sorry that is so tough. Big hugs.

Bless your heart! I hope the day goes by quickly.

26. Mom101 says:

I loved getting to talk to you a bit and your speech rocked. Hell, I’d have passed out before even getting the first word out.

27. kathryn, dym says:

You call you kids “babY”? Do you ever give them time-out in a corner?

28. Suebob says:

I am so sorry that you were the one person on my list that I just had to meet that I didn’t find at BlogHer. Too bad about the plane…as Mr. Stapler says, “There’s always another airplane,” but he only says that because he routinely misses flights.

Is Grace the Mother of All Goodness? She seemed to be everywhere at once.

29. zookeeper says:

Ok- I call my kids “baby” too…along with honey, sweetie pie, pumpkin, etc. It sucks that you missed your flight- especially when you were so looking forward to being home.

Was that a joke (above)? Every mom I know calls their kids “baby…”

31. Turtle says:

In my experience, when screwy things like this happen, it is for a Very Good Reason. The higher power is never wrong :) Need more proof? You’re being diverted by a woman named Grace? To the pacific ocean (a heavenly, awe inspiring site if ever there was one)…

32. InterstellarLass says:

Missing a flight is one of my worst fears. I’m glad you didn’t have to hitch-hike home.

My kids now spend a few days/nights at their grandparents each month, so I’ve gotten into the swing of having them gone for a short period of time. At first the house seemed so empty, I had to resist calling my mother and frantically screaming, “Where are my children?!” But I’ve since learned to enjoy these few moments of quiet. Sometimes I take myself out for a decidedly not-kid-friendly movie, other times I lounge around in pajamas, eat lots of chocolate, and cat nap with a good book. And occasionally, if I sit really still, I can actually hear the voices in my head again.