Today is not the day

Today is not the day

August 10, 2006

that you want to be catching a flight out of an airport, any airport.

Just ask my poor husband who is at the airport, standing in a line that he says appears to be circular and have no end. Where he will be giving up his beverages, toothpaste, shaving cream, hair gel, deodorant and who knows what else. They are going to be a stinky, dehydrated lot, those travellers. My advice… check all the stuff you possibly can, people. Just check it. It will make the process go much more quickly.

But I have internet friends, really I have no other kind, coming for a vist and spending the night. I am very excited. I present my to-do list for today:

1) Go to liquor store
2) Make sure bathrooms have toilet paper and are free of unwanted pee
3) Buy a replacement coffee pot, since baby broke ours yesterday
4) Hang bedroom door, isn’t this on everyone’s list for when guests come?
5) Buy Rob some replacement hair gel, toothpaste, deodorant and shaving cream for when he comes back home, why yes I am nice
6) Go to liquor store, did I mention that?

Comments

1. Lilly says:

On our guest-coming list is get new mattress! since our guest one is just truly squeaky and worn out… and go to liquor store.
    I fly next week and I’m hope hope hoping the current security alert is over by the that time. Poor Rob!

2. Lucie says:

Chris-a friend who married into a family of all boys on a farm had a urinal installed in their bathroom-less paper, less water and highly effient. Just a thought.

Was a little weird seeing it though. Have fund tonight

3. Novaks8 says:

Better to be hot stinky and dehydrated than blown to bits!

The airports in Britain look terrible! They are on red alert.

Hope he travels safe and you have fun with your guests.

4. Mama T. says:

My step-daughter heard about the airport alert on the news this morning and asked, “How could somebody blow up a plane with hair gel?” I didn’t have the heart to explain to her the how’s and why’s of it all.

In case you forget: Make sure you stop at the liquor store. ;)

5. meritt says:

Yep… I just read about the airport security and read that they took the mascara and blueberries from a woman who was so bold as to try to board the plane. LOL.

My gracious.

6. kate says:

I hope Rob gets through the airport and to his destination safely!

Dont forgot Liquor that is always always the most important on the list!

Have a nice visit with your internet friend!

7. Meg says:

Liquor! Liquor! Liquor!

8. maria says:

I’m flying Saturday w/3 kids - may I have some of that liquor before I leave for the airport (Washington National by the way…)I just wish there was a wild children area where I didn’t have to stress about my kids being kids and annoying all the other travelers…

9. Daisy says:

I don’t feel so selfish now — my first reaction was to blog about how this huge international event affected my family. Good luck to your husband — and don’t forget the liquor store errand!

10. Christina says:

I wish him luck, my husband is doing the same thing today, traveling without his own cup of coffee will probably be the toughest part for him, he’s normally a very patient guy. He waited 2 1/2 hours in security line this morning and is still waiting at the airport. Definately liquor!

11. Beth says:

Sadly, yes to #4.

12. halloweenlover says:

I want to come over and spend the night!

I have been lamenting this all morning because I just KNOW that my shampoo is going to explode all over my stuff in my luggage on the flight to Brussels! Woe is me!

13. InterstellarLass says:

Poor hubs. Sucks to be in a long line when your wife is at home drinking. Make sure you have plenty on hand for him when he comes home!

14. Luck O' the Irish says:

I just have to ask…is there ever an instance where there is “wanted pee”?

15. Plain Jane Mom says:

First, I think baby is drinking too much coffee. When your hands shake while pouring it is time to cut down on the joe.

Second, gee thanks Luck O’ the Irish for taking my line!

16. Dana says:

Ah, yes, when you are trying to take a pregnancy test. Then you want pee.

17. Grace says:

The lines were ALREADY ridiculous before they found this new issue. I ALWAYS check my luggage so I’m constantly waiting for people with bags to get through the line….ARGH!

18. laurel says:

another time when you want pee is when you’re pregnant and at the doctor’s office and they make you pee-in-a-cup, but then again, you’re pregnant and it’s easy to pee on demand.

flying tomorrow. didn’t think about mascara. ick. i was hoping not to check my bag, but i might have to.

My list for today looks nearly the same (except for the door thing).

But I don’t have company coming. I just need to go to the liquor store and de-pee the bathrooms.

Poor Rob. Greg lost so many pairs of nail clippers when they wouldn’t allow those in carry-ons.

Have fun at the liquor store!

21. Wooden Porch says:

I completely understand the bedroom door thing. The first two houses my husband and I lived in had bedroom door problems–never shut. Also, when you walked in the front door (or even just peeked in the glass on the door, you could see clear to the master bedroom bed.) We learned to lock the door when my in-laws came barging into our first home in the middle of the afternoon–and us being newly weds were “romping” in the bed and completely got caught in action.

22. Meg says:

Oh, yeah, and wish I could be there…;)

23. Gail Martin says:

Today is a day for patience. I feel for anyone traveling today.

On the coffee pot, I broke one in the dishwasher. :( I’m not sure how I did it, but I did it. The new one has a metal caraf. Not only is it unbreakable but it is using less energy while keeping the coffee hot for a very long time.

24. Rhonda says:

Oh that isn’t good. My quadrapelegic son is flying home from Denver tonight {Denver to CA} and it doesn’t sound good. Supposed to arrive at 11pm. Have a feeling I’ll be waiting in baggage claim for a very long time. *sigh*

25. Jen says:

Better to be safe than sorry. My husband got stuck in Ireland (he has a 13hr trip on a ferry/bus/train/rental car to get home, he should arrive at 3am tomorrow).

My visitor for tonight (from CT, USA originally) is stuck in Madrid, and I won’t get to see her before she goes back to CT :( Gutted. And I’d cleaned the house (but not rehung a door) just for her. Sucks.

What I want to know is how you taste baby milk in front of the security officer, yet keep it sterile for the baby to drink it? OK for a shorthaul flight, but what about a flight to the US? Hooray for breastfeeding!

26. Jordana says:

In our house, every time I try to rid a bathroom of unwanted pee, the kids manage to have an “accident” and spray the room. It’s also like when I decide at random to change sheets — the next night they wet the bed or throw up on it. So, I figure if I want to keep them on a decent potty cycle and healthy, I should never, ever clean — right?

27. Mary Tsao says:

Have fun!

Oh, and I am flying next week with my little guy. I hope lines go down by then. I’m not looking forward to being at the airport at 4:30 AM. Hope your husband still gets to go on his vacation!

28. Maddy says:

As long as Rob has his *glove* he will be OK without the shampoo, hair gel and toothpaste.

I too am off to prepair the house for weekend visitors, look out unwanted pee here I come.

29. Miss Peach says:

The airports looked like NO fun, hope he made it okay! And for your visitors, you’ll definitely want to hit the liquor store… have fun, I’m envious!

30. kathy says:

candy is dandy but liquor is quicker. (did i just show my middle age?)

I’ll lift a glass (well, I call it a glass, but it is really a “Dora the Explorer” plastic cup - please tell me I’m not the only adult getting drunk with Dora…) of Reposado for you (oh, yeah, and the boy-without-a-glove).

31. I Dressed Myself says:

Ooh! Have fun with your guests. I haven’t had any such fun guests in a while. Lately it has just been a couple of visits from my mother-in-law. Preparation for that involves cleaning everything as much as possible so that she will relax and enjoy the grandkids instead of cleaning water stains on the end tables.

32. Erin says:

Hey, have fun! You better go check on that pee situation one more time…

33. cassie-b says:

I’m so happy not to travelling this weekend. I hope your husband gets home soon.

Cas
    Have fun with your guests, and I hope you get that bedroom door fixed!

34. Denzylle says:

Friends fly back to London from NYC this evening with two 2.5 year olds. British Airways is allowing no carry ons at all, absolutely nothing except passport, tickets and money in a clear plastic bag. No toys, no books, no snacks.

Fortunately it’s an overnight flight, altho’ last I heard it was delayed three hours so it won’t arrive until about six hours after the children normally wake up.

They are saying this is going to be the future - not just no liquids, but no carry ons at all - and that it will extend beyond BA flights out of and into the UK to other airlines and other countries.

I used to love flying…