When bloggers meet

When bloggers meet

August 21, 2006

Last week two of my most favorite bloggers Darren and Nabbalicious came for a visit. We had planned the visit for awhile and I was really excited, until I realized that Rob was not going to be here because I had gotten the dates wrong. Then I had something of a freak out panic attack, because Rob is the host in our coupledom. He is the one who makes people feel welcome, gives them drinks, serves them food, and basically makes them feel at home.

I am not sure what my job is exactly, but I do know it involves pointing to my glass and making witty conversation. I had told them long before the visit that I was sure they would leave here liking Rob best, it would be inevitable. And that I was okay with it and they shouldn’t feel guilty.

But turns out I had to entertain them all on my own. Single people who do not have children. yes, should I write that again. They do not have any children and they were coming here to stay the night. talk about brave. Especially after what I wrote when halloweenlover came for a visit.

They were pretty much shell shocked by the crowd of children, which swarmed them as soon as they walked in the front door, like moths to the light. For a few minutes I thought if I turned my back that they would try to make a break for it, get into their rental car, and drive away as fast as they could manage.

But it turned out to be a fun visit. I had a great time. I hope they come back and visit soon.

If you want to read Darren’s perspective of what it was like to visit The Big Yellow House, his post and photos are here.

And now I see nabbalicious has written about her visit her as well, and included what is possibly the best photo of me EVER taken. I must have missed the memo that today was vacation recap day. But it is good, because I had nothing to write about today anyway. Unless you wanted to hear about how I refinished a clawfoot tub this weekend, which yeah, I didn’t think so.

Comments

1. Emily says:

You may want to fix the link to Darren’s perspective. It came up with a godaddy.com website advertising everything from flirty club fashions for less, to a semen detection kit.

2. Novaks8 says:

Just add a www to the blogs.

Luckily I already had them saved in my favorites.

I am SO jealous!

If I ever make it up that far north, I am SO coming for a visit!!!

3. Darren says:

Wait! Don’t change it just yet! I’ve been looking for a semen detection kit.

Chris, we had a great time and were definitely not shell-shocked. You should have heard us go on and on about the kids after we left.

Sorry we missed Rob, but you were a great host! It’s 10:09 in the morning, and I’m salivating from just thinking about that chip dip.

4. Chris says:

That dip is like crack, seriously.

5. nabbalicious says:

The dip IS like crack. I didn’t mention it in my recap, but I had the shakes all weekend.

Oh, we totally weren’t shell-shocked. Your kids (and you) are so great! It was like hanging out with little adults. We had the best time! Thank you again for everything!

6. Cheryl says:

Sounds like a really fun time and Chris please post your dip recipe. :)

7. Maggie says:

i want to hear about the tub! I have one to re-do and i’m scared. Can you shed some light?

8. jody2ms says:

How totally fun. Loved eveyones re-cap too! Now I have 2 new blogs to read.

You know you will get 949,281 requests for the dip recipe, so cough it up!! ;*)

9. kate says:

From reading all the recaps it sounds like you had a great visit!

You should totally open a bed and breakfast!

10. kate says:

Someday!

11. Gretchen says:

I’m jealous too! Can I come and pretend to be childless? I want some of that dip!

I know the agony you’ve been through with that house, but the pictures of it make it look sooo fabulous! We are shopping for a new house and I am getting depressed; out here in the middle of nowhere they don’t even have houses that big, unless they come with 100 acres, which duh we cannot afford. I swear everything out here only has 3 bedrooms.

Oh, and by the way, with regards to that awesome photo of you: that is how I learned to sit down and let people get at least one good shot, so they wouldn’t have to keep the bad ones! LOL I’m glad there were some other, more flattering pics of you too. Having met you (before you were famous!) I will put my vote in for you and Rob being “Most Beautiful Couple.” Seriously, it’s no wonder you have such gorgeous kids.

12. sandi says:

Chris, your house is lovely, children just beautiful and you look VERY young and pretty. Sandi

13. Heather B. says:

Ok, you make delicious dip? Now I’m definitely coming to live with you.

14. Kim in MI says:

wait, you had guests, overnight, for whom you cooked, when you husband wasn’t home AND you refinished a tub? Or is the tub a joke?

We would all like to hear the dip recipe, I think.

So we can entertain as nicely. Or at least sit home and get fat and imagine being scintillating while entertaining blog friends.

15. Maliavale says:

You can refinish tubs? Who knew!

Glad you guys had a great time.

16. Debbie says:

I hate women who can cook, keep their kids clean, husbands happy, house in line, HOME EDUCATE *and* LOOK GOOD.

I hate you. May I come and spend time at your villa to learn this wonderful art of supermotherness you exude????

Really, you should run courses or something… think of the money you would make….

17. MotherReader says:

In some ways, kidless friends can be better with kids. Generally, moms will talk together and try to tune out the kids. It’s a habit. We figure our kids will play with the other mom’s kids and the adults will talk to each other about something other than SpongeBob FOR THE LOVE OF PETE! (Sorry, personal issue there.) But friends without kids, will talk to them like real people - and become your kids’ bestest grown-up friend ever. Glad it all worked out and was fun.

If you know what’s good for you, you’ll share the dip recipe. Just sayin’.

Sounds like a fantastic weekend, and I’m glad it worked out even w/Rob being gone. I’m the same way; I love people and everything, but my husband is the one I count on to bring everything together and tie it all up with a pretty bow! I too tell my friends it’s okay if you like him better.

19. Cathy C says:

I am SO jealous!!! I wanna stay over and have breakfast there, too!!!! No Fair!!

Can I come over, too? It sounds like ya’ll had a fun time.
    Oh, and cough up that dip recipe!

21. madre-terra says:

I want some of that crack…I mean dip. I loved hearing all the different points of view from all the blogs and the pictures.
    I want to come to your Goddess of Everything She Touches school!
    Thanks for the fun!!

22. Jen says:

oh my god, your kids are just TOO adorable! i have seen pics of them before, but i really love these recent photos of them - i especially want to eat Miles’ cheeks - they are just too edible!

As I have a clawfoot tub to refinish, I would actually love to hear how you did it.

I loved reading both of the recaps. It was fun to see pictures of you WITH your kids! :-) Your kids are beautiful and absolutely adorable.

25. Maddy says:

Chris,

Your front veranda is just *to die for*, and I love how your boys are all sitting around laughing and looking gorgeous.

I think the photo of you is fabulous too!

Can I move in with you? Please?

I have some childcare experience you know.