take me out to anywhere but a ballfield, please

take me out to anywhere but a ballfield, please

August 30, 2006

Guess what today is?

Go on guess.

It is the first day of the Fall baseball season.

In the words of my 10 yr old, “Finally! I have been so bored without having baseball every. single. day.”(emphasis might be mine)

Oh yes my son, me too. My life has felt positively empty these past few weeks.

Comments

1. Lisa says:

My condolences

2. Meg says:

Heaven help me if Sophia decides to be an athlete.

3. Y says:

Ha!

Ethan’s basketball just ended and I cried a little inside because I do live for his games.

(But every single day? Really? Because that would get on my damn nerves.)

4. Julie @ Telluride says:

I am terrible - what a bad mom I am. I told my Drew that we needed to “ease into” 2nd grade - no soccer. But - he will get SKI PE in 2 months. (At least that is my justification).

Am I terrible - or what?? It is tooo hard to work 45 hours, plus the homework stress, plus a sport. Can’t do it.

–Jules

5. InterstellarLass says:

Ah, the baseball fields. My brother played from t-ball to high school. I only had to go up until I got my drivers license. Then I had other things to do.

6. The Lazy Organizer says:

I was forwarned about baseball by my older sister. At our house, it is against “our religion”. Basketball is a much more sanctifying sport.

Break out the flask.

Isn’t that the traditional method of celebrating the start of baseball? Or was that just MY mother?

8. Blaine says:

Maybe I’m un-American, but I H-A-T-E baseball season!!! We had three kids on three different teams one season. We spent 19 days of a 21 day period at the fields. That was even with skipping some practices. ARGH! I almost had a nervous breakdown. We will NEVER do it again!

You must pack up and move to my town in California. No fall baseball!!!

My son plays soccer in the fall, but it’s easy. The seasons is only 6 weeks long, consisting of one 1-hour practice per week, and one 1-hour game on Saturday mornings. Pure heaven.

10. jody2ms says:

Oh my. We just have spring league here, and All stars. That is enough for me. Fall league would make my brain turn to stone.

Hugs!

11. halloweenlover says:

I’m going to start young with telling my kids to stay away from organized sports. Do you think it’ll work with a dad that is obsessed with sports?

12. jean says:

I hear you we have two practices today and I think my life is signed over till the end of the season. In a moment of crazed loonisy this summer I also signed my two younger daughters up for soccer this fall and then I came to my senses and told them of a bueatiful thing called gymnastics, one hour once a week and all 3 of your sisters can do it at the same time! Now that is FUN! I’m crazy enough with out the added stuff.

13. Darren says:

Well… At least you get a lot of good posts out of it. Right? Hello?

All I can say is, I’m truly sorry. But all good things…….

15. rachel says:

Thank you for reminding me to check the soccer website. Dangit - practices start in 2 weeks. gah. And 2/3 of the kids are doing soccer.

I’ve decided that on-sale beach chairs work very well as soccer chairs.

I can feel your pain. Alex has 3 2hour football practices a week and a game on every Sat. night. AHHHHHH!

17. jennster says:

blake isn’t really digging football, so if he doesn’t want to play next year, it’s baseball year round!

18. Amber says:

For this very reason, I am praying my kids are soccer-a-holics. Now THAT, I can stand…

19. Sheryl says:

Yeah soccer starts this week too. But the month between softball and soccer were lovely.

20. Sheryl says:

Uh, “was lovely”

21. MoMMY says:

Fall Baseball? What is that of which you speak. No fall baseball here. YAY! Only football. None of my children play football. I love fall. Oh, and my condolences to you.

22. zookeeper says:

I hear you. We had to talk (trick) my oldest daughter out of trying out for travel softball and stick with spring and fall softball instead. Because really, if there’s something worse than having your life run by sports, it is having to travel all over CT, Mass. and RI to have your life run by sports.

23. Gwen says:

I’m still waiting for the “gorilla taking a dump” picture you promised at the beginning of summer baseball!