Love Thursday

Love Thursday

August 31, 2006

Today it is Love Thursday, again.

(If you are not familiar with Love Thursday you can read and find all the links from my post last week here.)

Imagine this scene:

It is 1:00am in the morning and you hear the pitter patter of little feet in the hallway. In less than a minute, which is incidentally less time than it takes to register this and protect your soft squishy parts, a toddler jumps on you in her quest for the middle of the bed.

Because you love sleep her, you let her climb into bed with her disgusting blanket that has been dragged all over hell’s half acre and probably has actual debris clinging to it. You lovingly put the blanket on the husband’s side of the bed. Reasoning that if he doesn’t wake up, he doesn’t get a choice.

It is now 3:00am. You have been drifting in and out of sleep for the past two hours when you are jolted awake by a 28 pound body landing on top of you. You open your eyes to see your 3 yr old daughter in the dark bedroom, lit only by a night light in the adjoining bathroom. She is taking off all of her pajamas. She rummages through the laundry basket of clean laundry that you have just folded earlier in the day. You see her flinging the clothing about willy nilly, but you don’t say anything because it is 3 o’clock in the morning and you love sleep her and figure you can refold the clothes.

She finally pulls out her princess nightgown, which judging from the amount of clothing that has been flung about, was on the bottom of the pile. She puts it on and returns to bed. A knee in your stomach as she climbs in. As you get her settled back in under the covers, and before she puts her fingers in her mouth, she says, “I told you I needed this nightgown.” Very well.

And a couple of hours later your one year old screams your name. And even though it feels like you just fell asleep, you get up.

Love is

Love is...

what makes my heart keep beating.

Comments

1. zookeeper says:

Love those tshirts!!

2. CaliforniaGrammy says:

Great blog . . . oh those memories of child-rearing are all brought back by you, Chris. Thanks for a fun way for me to sip my coffee in the morning . . . reading your latest post.

3. Meg says:

BREEDR!1L!

Too cute…Sophia needs one that says “I’m the favorite daughter-in-law-to-be.”

4. rachel says:

so sweet.

and thst sounds far too much like my life.

5. Laundry Woman says:

You just described a day (night) in my life. The laundry, the laundry, the laundry is my quandry.

6. jody2ms says:

Ahh. Great post and the picture is wonderful…your future doctor!

Seriously, I just want to EAT HIM UP.

8. maria says:

oh my gosh - that sounds so much like most of my nights and I “only” have 3…

Also appreciate the princess - #3 child is slowly discovering her inner princess at 27 mos - she will still be the !@#$ out of her 2 big brothers but must do it in pink… Thanks for the smile today!

9. Erin says:

Thanks for the giggle, from one sleepless mommy to another. And thanks for the link to Love Thursday, this is my second week participating. I love looking at everyone’s pics!

10. ben says:

Sleep is highly over-rated. I’ve been promised I can have some after they leave for college.

11. Kelli says:

This is my first week to participate in Love Thursday.

12. Chookooloonks says:

Love is, indeed.

Happy Love Thursday!

K.

13. InterstellarLass says:

Funnily enough, I’m the one that stops on my way to bed, late at night, long after they’ve been asleep, to go snuggle with my kids.

14. Mama T. says:

I experienced the same love last night as my 13 month old daughter was awake from 1 a.m. to somewhere between 3:00 and 3:30 a.m. (I stopped looking at the clock) As I tried to get her to sleep, first in her room and then second in the spare bedroom, I snuggled her close and whispered many a “Shhh”, “It’s sleepy time Sofia” or “Night night now”, realizing there was nothing wrong with her, only that she just wanted to be with me.

That being said, I put her back in her crib around 3:40 a.m., crawled back into bed with hubby and I swear only 2 mintues went by when his alarm went off at 6:00.

15. Christina says:

Thanks for the perspective, sleep is highly over-rated and these moments will not last :) Although I hear the laundry just lasts forever…

16. Kristen says:

So true. I always know my love for my kids must be immeasurable when I’m willing to forego sleep year after year.

He is so adorable.

17. Thida says:

Yeah I think my kids are one of the few things I love more than a good night’s sleep. LOL.

18. Pastormac's Ann says:

This morning (1AM) my sweet baby (who’s 4 now - I can’t believe it) came in rubbing sleepy eyes and asked me why I was reading a book in the night. (when else do I have a quiet moment to myself?) “Why are you reading a book in the the night? He asked again, confused, as I tucked him back into his bed down the hall and around the corner from my room. “Your reading a book keeps me awake.” he says as he snuggles back under his blankets. Sure it does. Still, I went to sleep anyway - wouldn’t want to keep him awake after all. (wink, wink.)

19. 1girl2boys says:

Ha, great story. Same thing over here as well.

20. MamaDuck says:

Oh, he is too sweet!! You are so right, sleep is over-rated….

21. nabbalicious says:

So sweet!

I personally want one of those shirts so I can needle my brother when I go home for the holidays.

22. Jeanelle Paige says:

Congrats on hitting 1,000,000 hits! I couldn’t screen shot the 1,000,000th one because I was 1,000,002, lol.

I have the shot though, just cuz I wanted to save it cuz I am a freak. I just want you to know that you have inspired many people. Made them laugh, made them cry, gave them help, hope and strength. You blog is truly a pleasure to read and I love visiting everyday.

23. Maliavale says:

What a sweet post.

24. Elizabeth says:

Oh, the eyes on that boy! I love Love Thursday.

25. madre-terra says:

Both my girls slept with us often. I suggested a king size bed. My husbands reply was, “Why encourage them?”
    Love your sweet post.

26. Carola says:

and I was hoping when my daughter turns 1yr old I was going to get some sleep…silly me…