Home Improvement weekend continues

Home Improvement weekend continues

September 3, 2006

Who knew so many of you were circus folk like my husband! Honestly, I had no idea.

I painted a second and third coat of paint onto the mudroom walls today and it will stay, for now at least. Rob says he likes it, but it is difficult to tell if he really likes it or if he just doesn’t want me to paint it over because he wants to get the crown molding up and have the room done. Also, listening to my indecisiveness can drive a person crazy, or so I have been told. I am still uncertain about it.

But we have a list of 30 things to accomplish this weekend, so I can’t just stare and obsess over the room as much as I would like to. So far we have crossed 11 things off of the list.

Like this:

New light

As well as things that aren’t on the list, like this:

Playing in the box

And things that weren’t even on the list, but we did anyway, and then added them to the list so we could cross them off and feel more productive than we actually were. Like installing a dimmer switch for the new dining room light.

********

Conversation this morning:

Me: I am so tired. I have been so tired lately. I think something is wrong with me.
Rob: Like what?
Me: I don’t know. Some sort of sickness that is making me tired.
Rob: Like a sleeping sickness?
Me: Exactly!
Rob: And you don’t think staying up until 2am every night drinking vodka has anything to do with it.
Me: Absolutely not. Get it? Absolutely not.
Rob: Maybe you are still drunk.

Comments

1. Suebob says:

Dooood! Do I need to remind you that you have seven children? And that you are remodeling a house? I have zero kids and have never so much as painted a cabinet and I am tired all the time, too.

Rob may be right about the vodka though.

2. Kim in MI says:

The only way I’m going to get things crossed off is to make them up and add them to my imaginary list. Months ago when Labor Day Weekend was far away I thought of all the projects I could do. Weeks ago I pondered which ones I should focus on. But now that it’s here, I’m just aiming for a nap.

3. Daisy says:

I do the same thing with lists: make coffee, then write “make coffee” on my list and cross it off. Of course, playing in boxes doesn’t need to be on a list. It’s too much fun to pass up.

Your dining room is the same color as my livingroom. I must come from circus people too. I have to say it looks better in your diningroom, than my living room. Our lists now have lists. Our spare bathroom project is still on going, I started demo in late May!!! Please tell me there is an end in site.

5. Cakes says:

maybe…that will at least help you make the bolder color choices…

6. menoblog says:

Call that color “aubergine” rather than purple, and you’ll be sure to love it.
    Me, i just like to say “aubergine”.

7. Tammie says:

LOVE the red! Nice, deep color. Much nicer lighting. And your babies are just cute as little buttons!!!
    tammie

8. Jenny says:

I only have four children and I think I need a nap just from looking at all you’ve been doing. For real. I think the vodka actually may be what’s keeping you going.

Adding it to my grocery list right now . . .

I love your house. LOVE it. As soon as I get my own home improvement project going I will call you to invite you for a visit. And we can sit around drinking Absolute while you advise me on what shade of white to paint the kitchen.

10. Cathy C says:

Circus people here. My kitchen color is Golden Gate bridge, dining room has one reddish/orangish wall, and the rest is a “tan” color (this is left from the previous owners), the family room will be a “tuscan yellow”, and still thinking on whether to paint the living room green or blue. I’ll spare you the detailed color of the half bath. I’ll just tell you that when you’re in there you feel like a schizophrenic who has just gone to the circus–this was also done by the previous owners. The best part is that the previous owners are my in-laws. Oh, and the outside of my house is dark gray with burgundy and black trim. Needless to say we were hit HARD last Halloween (our first at this house). We’re going to be up to our eyeballs in paint. BTW, I love the color of your mud room…it looks just like the color of our bathroom at our old house.

11. bluepaintred says:

LMAO absolute. ly not.. tee hee.

Is there a weekend at your house that’s not home improvement weekend? We have so few of them these days!!

The beautiful paint, the cute kids, the all-night vodka parties . . .

Can I move in? PLEASE?

14. Amah says:

I’m 51 and been raising kids for 36 years and I am still wiping the fingerprints off of totally white walls. I just so totally admire everyone that has a sense of imagination and daring!!! I’m not an arteste of any kind. I “decorate” by putting pictures of our kids, grandkids, and the “littles” on the walls - or, of course, thier artwork. Bless you!! And keep writing - you and MOTSM are my idols!!

Playing in boxes should be on everyone’s list.

16. rachel says:

I love box-playing!

That new fixture is lovely. And I adore the red walls. *sigh* Your house looks so welcoming.

And it is lovely to know I’m not the only one who writes things on the list so I can cross them off. :)

17. ben says:

Playing in boxes while drinking vodka at 2 AM. Now that would make remodeling worthwhile…

18. CaliforniaGrammy says:

Adding to the list only to cross them off . . . is there any other way?

19. jody2ms says:

Can I buy your house when you ar finished re-storing it??? Gorgeous!

As fro the vodka….on the rocks with lots of olives works for me. Do you keep your vodka in the freezer? If you don’t, it makes it so tasty.

20. jody2ms says:

That would be, if you don’t, try it…it makes it so tasty!

21. Jo says:

Oooooooo, luuuuuuuuuv that red room!

22. Plain Jane Mom says:

What a beautiful house you have!

23. kathy says:

No Jody, if you don’t try it it WON’T be tasty cause you didn’t try it! And Chris, I’m sorry, but all your olives have been replaced with limón. Oh, and the vodka with tequila. Carry on. :)