this is what makes the internet all worth it

this is what makes the internet all worth it

September 5, 2006

Tonight I found this while surfing around reading blogs, or as I like to call it working. I know it makes me laugh too.

In light of my recent post about my thieving, stranger- water- swilling daughter, I found something that I just have to have. *

I came upon this post by sweetney on her ub-clay om-may blog. And you know it has to be good if I am linking it here because I have made my feelings pretty clear about ub-clay om-may.

* joking, obviously. Though I did just tell Mir today that I really need a cage for my 20 month old because he will not stop climbing on everything. **

** again, joking. Well, not really joking I did say that. And I would love some sort of APA approved toddler cage. But I won’t actually buy one, probably.

Comments

Oh my god that is FANTASTIC.

Do you think they make one that would hold a 50lb six-year-old? Seriously.

2. del4yo says:

Have you ever seen that delightfull movie called “Please don’t eat the daisies” with Doris Day?

The toddler is in a cage, with a lock too!
    I guess it was written by a real mom.

3. Novaks8 says:

Doris Day movies are the best!

I SO need one of those….wait, 3 of those!

I could have used them tonight!

4. Steph. says:

Dude. I’ve never been into kid-leashes, but that is one I could actually appreciate! It is much better than the half-buttcheek squat where you’re squealing at your two year old, “don’t touch that, don’t touch that, DO NOT open that door!” LOL!

5. Maliavale says:

AHHHHHH! The pictures! I’m going to have nightmares tonight.

6. Mary Tsao says:

I don’t need one of those hanging baby things because I’ve got the lung capacity to continuously scream, “Don’t touch anything!” while we’re in public restrooms.

You and I are on major home improvement jags. I’m working up the nerve to go to IKEA soon, too. Have you ever eaten there (besides cookies)? It’s actually pretty good.

7. kathryn, dym says:

Dude. I totally already have one of those stall hanging things but it’s not for my kids. It’s for me, when I’m helping them in a public restroom so my feet don’t need to touch the ground. Hm…I’m suprised you didn’t know that. Also, I think we should all be blogging in ig-pay atin-lay. This could be the new trend.

I really like it when you blog just like you talk. Then I can hear your voice talking from my computer. Must sleep now.

8. Jenniffer says:

OK, remember how in the 90s, Oprah told us that you’re not supposed to leave your purse on the hook because some crazy bathroom thief will reach over the stall door and steal your purse off the hook? Just sayin’.

9. carrien says:

It reiminds me of those fold down baby seats that they have in the bathrooms at IKEA. I always thought those were brilliant.

10. T in HD says:

Oh my word, I’m terrible. All I could think when I looked at the picture was “but, the kid could still touch the *door* she is hanging on!!” But hey, if they made those for bigger kids, I could sooooo use one for our time out corner.

Re: baby leashes. I always thought they were terrible. Then I had kids. But they didn’t work with #1 who threw herself on the ground and insisted on being dragged or #2 who only ever wanted to be carried (lazy little sod) but when #3 went walk-abouts at the zoo while my sister and I were there with our 8 kids, the leash came out. It’s not fun having a stranger walk up to you and ask “is this your child”. And because the cousins’ favourite game is playing dog and cat with the pet leashes at the grandparents’, the toddler thought being on a baby leash at the zoo was cool. And even cooler that her 110 y.o. cousin held the leash. Can’t say better than that. ;)

11. T in HD says:

Uh, that would be *10* y.o. old cousin.

Yikes! A kid hanging on the door!?! Scary.
    Do they make one for 11 yr. olds?

13. madre-terra says:

Imagine you are in your favorite store and you are leisurely walking down an isle. “Wait a minute” you think, “I am LEISURELY walking down this” “Oh damn, I left junior hanging in the bathroom again!”
    You hit yourself in the forehead and sheepishly go back to the bathroom and retreive your “no worse for the wear” son.
    Personally, sitting on the pot and being eye level with my tot seems wrong..just wrong.

14. InterstellarLass says:

And then you can dress them up and have really chic wall-art!

15. Cooksonmom says:

Would it be OK for me to use this at home? Just a thought…

16. Meg says:

Huh. Around our house we call our toddler cage the closet. ;)

17. ben says:

First of all, notice that some of the kids STILL got the toilet paper. So apparently there is room for improvement (note to designer: STRAIT jacket)

Second, I have a couple of dog crates that we cannot keep the kids OUT of. They spend more time in there than the dogs, which troubles the dogs sometimes, since it’s supposed to be their safe place to go and get away from the children.

18. Erin says:

Oh, I’m feeling joy inside looking at that, imagining either my 13 months old or my 3 year old hanging from the back of a stall. Then the door comes off its hinges and lands right on me whilst I’m trying to wipe.

19. Erika says:

OMG im in hysterics over here, and some of the comments from the Original blog are OMG so freaking funny. That aside, i do like the idea of hanging them going up the stairs and placing your children in them when new ppl come over, its instant family portraits and always up to date!
    I think thats just wrong, poor kids hanging by their crotch like that, its gotta hurt!

20. Nettie says:

Reminds me of the story my dad tells of the time he was babysitting a family of little boys that were out of control. The only way he could manage to get them ready for bed was to catch them all and hang them all from door knobs by their overalls first. Got any overalls?

21. Marie says:

Have you checked out babycage.net? The product line goes up to teenager-sized cages.
    Be sure to check out the new items and the accessories.

22. Crisanne says:

All you naysayers out there must never have wound up in a public bathroom with your little one and realize they don’t have any shoes on! I’m talking about the 6-12 month crew that aren’t walking yet but are too big for the carrier. That always happens to me on road trips without my husband.

Of course, being the germophobe that I am, I kept thinking about how I would have to touch the “babykeeper” to get the kid out and get the germs all over myself!

23. Brigitte says:

I only tried the juggling-baby-while-in-the-restroom once, the rest of the time I just let myself be insanely dehydrated with a pounding headache rather than try that again . . . I still don’t think I’d resort to the baby hanger, though!

24. Gedditogethere says:

As my good friend SHH pointed out…have you seen the instructions for that thing?

Unless you’ve been keeping up with your Kegels, good luck.

25. sweetney says:

“ub-clay om-may blog” — holy crap, i’m TOTALLY swiping that from you.

and oh yes folks, that babykeeper thing is WACK.

26. cheeriobutt says:

Oh my goodness!!!!!! I am speechless! I like the picture of the baby eating the toilet paper! Ha! But my first thought was how does it hang on? See I am a fall- a- phobic like you are a germa phobic. And I thought it must be the hook on the other side. Well what if someone doesn’t like their hook being used and whoops! Ha this was too funny! I was shocked at first then laughing and by the end I wanted one for all six of mine!!

27. zookeeper says:

And they say not to hang your purse on the restroom door because someone can walk by, reach over and steal it! GEESH!

28. jennifer g. says:

They actually have something like this in some restrooms at the Brookfield Zoo. I haven’t used it, but I can imagine a situation where I’d appreciate it–it’s not easy to pee with a six month old in your lap!