my new crack

my new crack

September 7, 2006

Today I made a blueberry-peach crisp that was delicious. With blueberries I picked myself from my own bushes. I feel like I belong in a Martha Stewart magazine. You know if I was serving it outside on my lawn on the tailgate of my old pick-up truck that was just old enough to be a classic and not a piece of garbage marking me as trailer trash. And if I had all sorts of other things people usually consider trash used in new and exciting ways that would make people weep that they had thrown away that old wooden shutter, broken screen door, and chipped tea cups. And if I were barefoot. Definitely barefoot.

But, alas, I was none of these things.

Blueberry-Peach Crisp

There is no photo of what it looked like after I put on the crumbly crust, or after I took it out of the oven, because I couldn’t wait to eat it.

Stephania posted the recipe on her food blog a couple of weeks ago and I just had to make it. I quadrupled her recipe and made it in a really huge sheetcake pan. She has photos of what it looks like after, because apparently her family is not a bunch of pigs like mine.

Of course now she has up the most delicious looking steaks that she says you can cut with a fork. A fork, people. The pictures look so yummy that if you are a vegetarian you had best stay away or you will be converted.

As a funny aside, we are trying to buy a half cow from a local organic farm. The children have heard us talking about it. One of my younger children was very excited, more excited than I would think someone would be over some chopped meat and steaks. But then I heard him say that “Mom said we are getting a cow!”

Oh yes sweetie, we are getting a cow. But it will come to us wrapped little 3lb white paper packages. So while we will certainly enjoy our cow, we will not be stroking it while lovingly gazing into it’s eyes. At least I hope the eyes are not in the half we get.

Comments

1. InterstellarLass says:

Mmmm. That looks GOOD! On my way to get the recipe! And we had a whole cow in our freezer when I was a kid. The benefit of having grandparents that owned a cattle ranch.

2. Mom of all Seasons says:

Wow! I’m amazed that pan of peaches and blueberries lasted long enough to be photographed - let alone made into a crisp. Blueberries just don’t make it HOME here. Psst: make sure the kidlets don’t name the (half) cow before it hits the freezer… trust me on this one.

3. bluepaintred says:

ooooh I am about to book mark that link! for some reason my steaks have to be cut with a jackhammer. So we rarely have steak.

As for the cow, I send hubby out once a year to kill bambis mom to fill my deepfreeze. And I make the kids watch bambi while he is away.

4. Elizabeth says:

MMM, that looks good.

We used to get half a cow for Christmas from my grandparents, who raised them. I wouldn’t be surprised if we had received the eyeballs, because we sure got everything else. Organ meats are not nearly as enticing as a pipe organ.

*Sensitive readers skip to the next entry now!* **I meant that!**
    And, as for eyes, I may have mentioned before that our school district does cow eye dissection in the second grade, with lots of parent helpers to man the scalpels. A local eye doctor comes in to train us and also explain how Lasik and cataract surgery work. The large size makes it easy to see all of the parts. You can actually take the lens and use it to magnify print, so if you get the eyes, Chris (if you are still reading), it might be a grand science lesson.

5. Mary Tsao says:

Woman, you can cook for me any day. I’ll bring the moonshine!

6. Gwen says:

Mmm, just the peaches and berries look delicious. I made an awesome blackberry cobbler on Labor Day. I don’t have a picture, but the recipe is at http://www.good-2b-me.blogtspot.com/2006/09/incredi-cobbler.html.

7. Joy H says:

3lb. white packages remind me of the butcher on the Brady bunch :)

Hey….I bet Alice’s cobbler couldn’t touch yours.

8. kigogal says:

My auntie had a cow when I was a girl. I called it Blue Belle even tho I recently found out it was a Steer. One day Blue Belle was gone. I didn’t figure it out. Ever. Then a few years ago my Dad told me that we ate Blue Belle. I became a vegetarian for a year or so and then jumped back on the meat wagon. :-)

Mmmmm that looks delicious! I have been making peach pies all summer, but I’m so lazy I leave the top open so I don’t have to roll out the extra crust (which I can never get to be very roll-outable in the first place, and end up just having to pat into the pie dish).

The half a cow is hilarious! Would your kids REALLY want a cow??? They do know about having to milk it ALL THE TIME? And the flies? And the stinky poo that needs to be shoveled? And how they eat their own throw up? Eww.

But the meat tastes good. Hope you get the good half.

10. Jen says:

“we will not be stroking it while lovingly gazing into it’s eyes. At least I hope the eyes are not in the half we get.”

Man, you crack me up! I used to work on a cattle station in the Australian Outback (homeschooling and cattle-work - pretty similar, huh!), and they’d go off and pick a cow, put it out its misery, hang it up and we’d cut slabs off it for dinner. That was a real education for a city-bred townie like me! What, no shrink-wrap?!

Can you get it un-cut and then use the large piece as a butchery lesson for the kids? We did that and it really showed our kids where all the different cuts of meat came from - far easier to visualise than a diagram!

11. Bethipoo says:

My dad came from a family of 11. He said is was always a sullen, sad day when they were eating Bessie (or Bessie #2, or Bessie #3) for dinner. He said you’d never hear 11 kids so quiet at once.

12. wookie says:

Sides of beef are awsome, especially with a family your size. We only get a quarter every 18 months or so.

Maybe this is a Canadian eccentriciy, but is a cobbler the same thing as a “crisp”? Because I would have called what you made a peach/blueberry crisp (although our blueberries season is over :-(

13. Mama T. says:

Mmmm…yummy! I’ve got bunches and bunches of blueberries in the freezer that I need to use up soon. I’ll hit the little roadside fruit stand on my home from work for some peaches and we’ll be all over this dessert. Tomorrow is hubby’s birthday and he’ll like this MUCH better than cake.

We bought a half cow on several occasions and always give her a name. As in “Kids, Rosie is on the table for dinner - eat up!” Is that mean?

15. Woman with Kids says:

Geez, I’m as bad as the little kids. My first thought? Well how on earth do you buy half a cow? As a former farm girl, I should have known better. We once had friends over for T-bone. We served hamburgers, fresh from our former cow, T-bone. Farmers have a sick sense of humor.

16. Mir says:

I am going to have nightmares about opening the white butcher’s wrap and finding eyeballs, now. Thanks a lot.

You can make it up to me by making me some of that crisp, though. ;)

17. Darren McLikeshimself says:

Sorry, wiping the drool away from the corner of my mouth at the moment.

Nabby and I made your chip dip this weekend, and it was SO good! It made us miss you and the gang.

In Oklahoma, cow eyes are a delicacy.

19. Erika says:

wow that looks tasty, i have a sinple quick easy delicious apple crisp that i just LOVE.. it used butter cake batter ;) mmmm
    as for the cow, my dh too kills bambi, and bambi’s parents and so we eat the whole family all year long… cows love us, they stay at the grocery store or in the fields… lol :D we are a venison family

20. 1girl2boys says:

Oh man, that sounds so yummy!

21. kathryn, dym says:

I hope you don’t get that half either. That’s freaky. Still suspicious about Bambi’s Mom and the part we might be regularly be playing in the demise of similarly defenseless animals, Laylee asked me yesterday why the hamburger meat was all red. Hmmm….

That sounds tasty. Yum!
    As for the cow, we used to get half a cow every year, till our butcher retired. I remember the meat tasted so much better than if we bought it at the store. Then when the meat was gone and we had to go back to store bought meat, it tasted like sawdust! Gross!

23. another anna says:

So, wait a minute. You don’t want the end that has the eyeballs? I think there might be even grosser things on the other end. If I were you, I’d request the middle half. :)

24. jody2ms says:

LOL!!

You will so love the beef. The clinic goes in for a cow every year, and they divide it between the 4 practitioners and there is nothing like fresh beef. Mmmmmmm!

25. Pirate Papa says:

sounds de-lish! Keep up the good work, I like pilfering recipe ideas from you.

-sky
    Pirate Papa

26. Maddy says:

When I was eight we moved to Australia from England and all the way to Australia my Dad kept saying “when we get there we will be getting a Barbie”, I was just so excited. You can imagine my dismay when we got a BBQ …. not a Barbie doll. I cried for days.

27. The Wooden Porch says:

“another anna” is funny! I quite agree with her!

I have a great recipe for spiked berries; how about that?! ;-)