My boys

My boys

September 8, 2006

Well, half of them anyway.

Three Boys and a popsicle

My older sons have reached that age where they are awkward in front of the camera and most pictures of them turn out looking, well, less than flattering. My 10 yr old doesn’t like to smile and show his teeth and my 11 yr old has entered that gangly awkward, my feet are better suited for scuba diving than walking stage.

But this photo turned out cute and shows how sweet they are to their little brother. Whenever they have done something like throw spitballs all over their bedroom ceiling , walked their dirty shoes up the wall in an attempt to do handstands, used the towel bar as a climbing device and when it gets torn out of the wall just leave it hanging there like nothing is amiss and then deny any knowledge of it, or done something equally as mind boggling that I have no words other than to stare at the gape mouthed while I struggle for words like a fish out of water. Open my mouth, close my mouth, open my mouth, close my mouth and no sound comes out.

Whenever I begin to question just where I went wrong, I remember their overall sweetness and compassion for their younger siblings, how they delight in making them happy, and they way that their younger siblings light up when they see their older brothers, and it is then I realize that they are turning out okay afterall.

Comments

1. Lilly says:

They are beautiful boys.

2. Heather B. says:

So…when can I move in exactly? ;-)

You just seem like a fun mom and have a fun happy household. And well, I know how you feel about the vino.

3. Novaks8 says:

They are so handsome!

I love that age.

My youngest boy is 12 now so we are almost past that stage.

4. bluepaintred says:

i both looking forward and dreading that age bracket. My oldest is six, youngest is two.

5. Steph. says:

What adorable and sweet-looking boys!

6. Pieces says:

A sweet picture and a sweet post. I love it when we are reminded that there is good lurking inside of our children somewhere.

7. jody2ms says:

Beautiful!! Your sons are so handsome.

I just posted a “son” post as well. We are so lucky to have our boys, you know.

8. M&Co. says:

Oh your boys are so handsome!

9. Laundry Woman says:

Ours seem to think the towell bar is a balance beam. Either that or a galloping bronco they must lasso…

Ah..sibling love.. it wipes away the sins of the world.

10. Becca says:

They are so handsome! And what’s much more important, they look good and sweet. Thank you for that beautiful post. Even when mine are at their rottenest, remembering the highlights gets me through!

11. Mel says:

I so know what you mean. I have 13-year old twin boys, an 8- year old boy and a 4-year old girl.

So, last night, I come downstairs for my nightly computer love-fest and weirdly, my computer’s off. I say, “Hey, who turned my computer off.”

My 8-year old boy: “Mom. I’ll tell you what happened. The boys were playing a game where they throw wet washcloths at each other and they hit the glass of water on your desk and it fell onto your keyboard and so they turned off the computer.”

Apparently, no one thought I’d notice.

Lucky for them, I wasn’t electrocuted and the keyboard still works.

Boys!

Good grief, I just left a blog post in your comment section. I am uncouth, aka without couth.

12. Maddy says:

You sure do make purdy boys ;)

13. zookeeper says:

My almost 14 year old is still in that “don’t take my picture” phase. Cherish this picture, because I swear in two years you’ll have this unrecognizable young man who is no longer a child and you’ll think “who IS this person, and HOW did he suddenly show up?”.

14. Karen Rani says:

They are just so sweet, my teeth hurt. Mrs. Chris, you have a beautiful family.

15. Brigitte says:

It bodes well for remaining each other’s best friends for a lifetime!

What handsome boys you have.
    My 2 boys love each other so much. When Big Brother comes into the room where Little Brother is, all activity must stop until Little can squeal “A-Doo!” (his name for his brother)
    It makes my heart melt.

17. Gwen says:

Oh, they’re so handsome! As a girl with 6 brothers, I can tell you that I absolutely look up to each of them, even as an adult. Having so many siblings has been such a blessing!

I love how the big ones look so sweet and young while Miles is trying so hard to look grown up (the hand! on his hip! oh my god!).

I want to eat them all up.

Handsome bunch of young men you have. I love the way your son is looking at M. Sweet kids… :)

20. nabbalicious says:

I wish I had older siblings to look up to. Unfortunately, I always had to set the example. And trust me, it never was a good one! Your kids are so lucky to have each other.

21. Cheryl says:

Very handsome boys, Chris - just don’t keep your eyes closed too long when you blink cause they’ll be men before you know it…..:(

22. amber says:

I love this pic…reminds me so much of the ones I’ve been TRYING so hard to take of my boys, they are 6,5 & 2…well he’ll be 2 the end of the mth.. Its so wonderful how your kids allways look so loving Chris..Can I send mine over to learn? LOL

23. Tara (Lily Calla's Mama) says:

Hi Chris,

I’ve been reading your blog since March of this year but this is my first time commenting. This is one of the most precious pictures I’ve ever seen. I’m a single mom of a ten-year old daughter, while you’re a married mom of seven children, but I can still relate to your life, in some small way. You have a very distinct style of writing, and I appreciate the time you take to share your latest adventures with us. I think you’re a wonderful mom and I just wanted you to know that you give me something to laugh or think about every day. Thank you. :)

24. InterstellarLass says:

My daughter (8) cried and confided in me that she misses having her brother (11) at the same school. The way our schools are structured, they will never walk the same hallways at the same time. As often as the pick at each other, they hug each other.

25. Kristen says:

That is adorable. And so encouraging to know that there is hope. With a three-year-old, sometimes I wonder.