say it ain’t so…

say it ain’t so…

September 21, 2006

updated below

I just walked away from computer earlier today and left it up and running doing whatever it does when I am not frantically smacking the keyboard with the three fingers that I used to type.

When I returned I found what amounts to a computer post it note looking at me, informing me that the new version of Firefox had installed itself. How thoughtful of my computer. Also, how creepy. I didn’t tell it to do that. Next thing you know it will be playing tic tac toe with a computer somewhere in Iran while we all hold our breath and mentally count the number of canned goods we have stockpiled in our fallout shelter and wish we had been nicer to those Mormons who came a-knockin. And in my case I would be thinking damn, I only have three cans of tuna and some chicken broth?

But aside from all that, when it installed this New! and Improved! Firefox, all my bookmarks vanished. Gone. Years and years of bookmarks in their helpfully titled folders, some that have been transfered over from two previous computers, gone. I think they must be hiding somewhere. But where?

And, more importantly, why wouldn’t my computer leave me a little post-it note to find them?

Update: Tragedy has been averted. No need to begin hoarding of the canned goods, which is a good thing because I would rather die than eat SPAM or any canned vegetable with the exception of corn. The people who read my blog are still smarter than my computer. I, on the other hand, am not. Unless my bitching, moaning, and kicking the leg of my IKEA table were helpful in some unquantifiable way.

With Beth’s help I was able to find the bookmark back up file. And then Jen told me how to import the file back where it belonged. Because I am resistant to change and like my bookmarks over there on my sidebar.

Comments

Do-Do-Do-Do, Do-Do-Do-Do (theme music from “The TwilightZone is playing somewhere)

2. Michelle says:

Firefox has done this to me a few times… the last time it did it I found mine by going to my homepage. Somehow they pulled up after I went there. The other times though, nada. I tried to look on the positive side at the time, I really needed to weed out some of the sites that didn’t work anymore and Firefox did it for me! :) Good luck!

3. Beth says:

Try this:
    - Close any open browsers.
    - Search the computer for “bookmarks.htm”
    (more than one file will show up)
    - Figure out which file is the biggest and/or most recent (you can double-click it to see all your bookmarks)

From there, you can overwrite the bookmarks.htm file that Firefox is using now, or import them into an online bookmarks keeper. I hear some are nice, but have yet to try any.

4. ben says:

That is creepy. And the tic-tac-toe is exactly right. I’d have to survive on a can of chili and some leftover raman noodles from when I was in college 20 years ago.

You might search your computer for a file called “bookmarks.” I don’t know if that helps, since I’m not a Firefox person.

5. Anne says:

I’d be freakin about now trying to find out what program in my computer ate my files. Hope you find em.

6. Mary says:

Yes! That happened to me, too. So frustrating. I know I’m still missing some. Arghh!

7. jennster says:

lmfao- email the firefox ghosts IMMEDIATELY!

8. Cassie says:

This has happened to me several times.
    The first time, I almost cried but managed to build my bookmarks back up within a few days.
    The second time I was really mad and wrote down all the sites I visit and re-added them.
    Now, when it does it I get to choose between two options. The first option has all of the bookmarks I had before it updated, the second had all the ones from after it updated the first time.

Weird.
    And Annoying.

But firefox still beats IE.

9. Maddy says:

Last night I watched the first episode of Jericho. Your post has left me thinking ……. hmmmmm maybe I should pop out and stock up on tinned stuff and bottled water.

10. Aubri says:

Ahhh the joys of firefox! And coming from one of those Mormons, I would share my food storage with you if the world were in peril! No need to fear, those Mormons are generally pretty nice people :-)

11. Jessica says:

People! Get thee to Yahoo.com and download their tool bar. Those bookmarks never get erased, AND you can access them from any computer you visit!
    Hope you find everything!

12. TW says:

I hate when firefox forces an update. Really hate it. Yahoo toolbar BLEAH! (because in addition to bookmarks you never get erased…) HOWEVER, I am a big believer in Spurl. Actually, I spurl with del.icio.us auto backup. Same bookmarks EVERYWHERE.

Now if I were you, I would complain mightily to those firefoxes and make them help you fix it.

13. Novaks8 says:

frightening.

I have hundreds of bookmarks.

Is there any kind of system restore type thing?

14. Jen says:

Your bookmarks are still there, just haven’t synched back up with our updated version. My hubby fixed mine, can’t remember how though……he searched for file/folder called bookmarks, then he uploaded it or something. If you can’t find them, let me know, he might be able to tell you how he did it. He is a computer dork and all…..

15. Wendy says:

Good luck in your search for the bookmarks.

It must be something in the air, because my laptop and desktop have been acting up.

Hopefully, when I get my new laptop next week my brother can transfer all my stuff without losing it. If not, he will die a painful death.

16. TW says:

Hey, spurl has a sidebar option! (and no, I don’t get any sort of pay for them, I just love them, well mostly love them…I have my I wishes but hey…)

17. Erika says:

Glad you found em!

18. Cheryl says:

Glad to read the update…..:)

19. Meg says:

I ended up putting all of my bookmarks on backflip because the same thing happened each and every time Firefox updated itself!! VERY annoying!

20. Maddy says:

Damn …. I just got back from the store with my cans and water!

21. Stephanie says:

can YOUR blog readers also help me to find my photos and digital scrapbooking pages that were lost when I had to do a system restore or recovery or something yesterday??
    I’d be eternally grateful to whomever returns to me the last 6 months of photos of my darling childen….and yes I’ll start saving and backing up everything!
    UGH!
    Don’t you just HATE that feeling of stress, when you’ve lost your beloved data!?!??!