It must be Saturday

It must be Saturday

September 23, 2006

I was trying to think of titles for this post and came up with:

It’s just another day in paradise

If I knock it down, he will build it back (he refering to my husband, not god)

See the cabinet on the left hand side in this photo?

Yeah, yesterday I emptied it out and used my crowbar to get it halfway off the wall. Then I bought a new window. (Only halfway, people please do not be impressed by my wimpy girl arms.)

A hole in the wall

And so as I sit here typing this, my husband is tearing plaster off the wall, a more messy, dust filled job has never been discovered. I curse you horse hair plaster. lathing, and blown in insulation. I curse you!

I will have more photos later. Right now I have to go wrap my laptop up to prevent dust from clogging it’s delicate pores. I would just go sit in a room far away and continue to type away in bliss, but that would just be wrong. My oohing and aaahing and making futile attempts at cleaning up are a vital part of the process.

Hopefully the photos I have later will be of a window, not just a pile of plaster.

Comments

1. Erika says:

Cant wait to see! I love and (hate) renovations! Love the result, hate the process

Have fun. I can’t wait for photos.

3. Suebob says:

You are a brave strong woman. I am always amazed at your fortitude. Me, that cabinet would be on the wall for the next 40 years or so.

4. Cheryl says:

Five years ago we lived in an old, needy house and renovated for three years - one.project.after.another….and when it was looking really nice someone came along and asked to purchase it…..my husband couldn’t pack his jammies quick enough. He purchased a much newer home for us and told me if I EVER said “old house” again he would hit me on the head…..but I really liked that old house and still miss its character - something this newer home will never possess. Have a wonderful weekend! :)

5. Mocha says:

How?

That’s it. I don’t have any more questions. It should be read into with great brain power. Think on it, grasshopper.

Oooohhhhhmmmmmmm.

6. Joanne says:

I like the caption, “Just another day in paradise” I think it’s perfect.

7. rachel says:

But are you all getting our rain? I can’t imagine doing house reno with the cold and rain. your husband is amazing. Better him than me!

Enjoy your weekend. I’ll think of you and take an extra nap for you once I’ve warmed up from standing in the cold rain for soccer.

8. jm says:

Hey! You get to have the outdoors AND the indoors…all at the same time! Sweet.

9. Debbie says:

Lucky you. Who couldn’t live without a sledgehammer or two… your kids will grow up and never feel at home unless they can hear the sound of hammering in another room…

10. geminishadow says:

ahh yes…the pain of hair plaster….I know this pain as well….I can imagine them back in 1865 when my house was being built, a group of men tediously apply the plater to the walls all the while laughing knowing that one day some fool would want to knock it all down……

11. menoblog says:

Make sure to admire his burly manliness as he wields the tools too. That really helps the process.

12. lipstickface says:

I dont know why it comforts me to see your kitchen like that. For mine looks the same. Except we dont have the money yet to actually DO anything about it. I feel like such a failure of a human being to be living in this house almost a whole month now with a demo-ed bathroom and a demo-ed kitchen.

I hate all this saw dust and dirt and crud that gets tracked through every room in my house. I hate looking at these rooms and often feel like I am a squatter living in some condemned building.

Then I realize that this is no condemned building - its the house I just entered into a 30 year mortgage for.

Everywhere I look I see dollar signs.

For somereason seeing you work on your house lets me know that I’m not alone - and that it is all a process. I’m not a failure. Im just in the middle of the process. Or the begining of it rather. Also your finished rooms give me hope and excitement (and jealousy cuz you TOTALLy did your yellow bathroom EXACTLY how I’m going to be doing mine.)

13. Annalise says:

Am impressed (and a little scared) by the fact that you have a crowbar :-) And you slipped it in so casually … “I used my crowbar…”. :-)

14. Karen says:

Mindlessly websurfing instead of doing cleanup day and anxiously awaiting your update ^^

Hope you have less rain than we do.

Karen

15. Dana says:

But when the cabinet is gone, where will you keep all the globes??? :-D

16. debi says:

Just read your tribute to David Rivers. You did a wonderful job.One of the best I have read so far. bless you

17. Chris says:

Oh no, don’t you come in and say that the plaster is bad. Wait until you do the floors. I will take plaster and lathe over scraping linoleum anyday. Curse the 1950’s house wife who put crappy linoleum over wide planked pine floors. Curse her!

Um, can ya tell what I did this week-end? Can’t wait for the window pictures!

18. Chris says:

I just reread my comment. I sound like Sybil. Uh, sorry… I think your post must have triggered some resentment over my own project this week-end. Off to google therapy options…