and now it is monday

and now it is monday

September 25, 2006

So this (link) was last weekend.

Our kitchen remodel so far has been slow and painful, like removing a bandaid from a hairy place on your body and feeling each and every individual hair being ripped slowly and painfully out. We feel like we are stalled in the middle of a few different projects, but the kitchen had to be done so that we could insulate the walls and put the exterior siding back on. That can’t be done once the weather turns cold.

pulling the cabinet off the wall, where it was held up with no less than 100 12

This is late Friday night when Rob came home from work. He couldn’t stand seeing my half done project and had to tear the cabinet off the wall immediately. There must have been 100 screws holding that thing to the wall. If I had known how sturdy it was I would have hung off of it for fun more often. Or ever.

Just in case anyone was wondering, we take safety very seriously around here. We also like to color coordinate our “safety” gear with our pajamas so that we match and look well put together in all the photos.

We take safety very seriously here

But cleaning our faces after we eat, nah.

I want to eat him dirty cheeks and all

“Dad, What does a kid have to do to get some breakfast around here?”

“He has to forage in the cabinets for something that is sealed, requires no cooking or adult preparation, and then take it outside and eat it.”

“But Dad, it’s raining!”

“Think of it as your morning shower.”

surveying the mess

You know how when you hand sheetrock andyou get all that fine dust when you sand the joint compound? Well you get that, but even worse, when you knock down walls. Throwing dirt onto the fine dust makes it easier to sweep up. What? You don’t have a cubic yard of topsoil sitting in pile in your yard? Nevermind then.

Cleaning up the paster and resulting dust

Miles walked around the entire time Rob was doing this, shaking his hand and babbling what I imagine was, “What the hell? Do you call this better?”

Miles walking around incredulous at the mess

And frequently Rob would meaure and shake his head muttering about how the floor is not level, the ceiling is not level, and nothing is square. I assure him that the look will all pull together once we hang the funhouse mirrors.

On the bright side we had take out pizza for dinner Saturday night. Because it took me the entire afternoon and early evening to clean the kitchen back up again and the choices were pizza or fasting. And surprisingly everyone went with pizza.

Making a mess

Blah blah blah more stuff happened, and now I have this:

Finally a window that closes

And next weekend, I get electrical outlets, insulation and sheetrock. I am quivering in anticipation.

If you want to see the set of photos of the kitchen destruction renovation thus far, the set is here.

Comments

1. Mama T. says:

Horsehair plaster, lathe, years and years of dust in the walls. Been there, done that. Not doing it again. You are brave, brave folks I tell ya.

Wowza!

And I thought the seven trash bags full of crap I pulled from my daughter’s closet this weekend was traumatic!

We are in a semi-remodel state (new paint, carpet and wood laminate, and soon countertops, cabinets & linoleum) but it looks like NOTHING in comparison to what you guys have going on.

Which reminds me: I must show my husband these pictures to put all his “hard work” in perspective for him.

God, I’m evil.

3. Kira says:

Oh, I feel your pain. As Clay was doing the drywall in the basement, the dust caused him to go out and BUY dirt JUST FOR throwing on the floor.
    Like we didn’t already HAVE a great pile of dirt sitting by the house, from the huge hole he dug for the new window well.
    Right now I’m trying to imagine the dust that is worse than drywall dust, and the thought is making my left eye twitch. It is so wrong.

4. meritt says:

I couldn’t but laugh at the first photo while thinking; “Wow, he sure does dress nice to rip down cabinets!” ;)

Although I have to admit that I’m like that too. When I see (or think) something needs to be done - it needs to be done NOW which is why I’ve accomplished much more than I ever should wearing high heels and pearls. LOL.

ah! I’ve instantly been transported back to my childhood.

Never lived in a complete house in my entire childhood. Sheetrock might as well have been our wallpaper theme. We were “VERY” ahead of our time with the whole industrial design (emphasis on industrial) meets shabby chic (emphasis on the shabby) sense of decor.

And now that I’m married (to a non-handy man accountant/computer geek), in a “complete” apartment, I kind of miss the constant renovations….

6. Mir says:

You have a door! And a window! And a really big mess! Whoops, I mean, the mess is gone now!

Here, have a cookie.

7. Cheryl says:

Good job! I like the door and the window that closes, but I do not envy the hard work and mess. Here, have a muffin.

8. Sara says:

The funhouse mirrors will be perfect for the circus people in your family!
    I can’t wait to see all of the after pictures.

9. Jordana says:

Outlets, insulation and sheetrock — what more could any girl possibly want out of life? Just keep muttering, “It will be beautiful. It will be finished.” Of course, they might lock you up for talking to yourself…

10. jody2ms says:

Lookin’ good

I am with you. Rip out the floors. Hell, you might find gorgeous wood underneath! We did….well, underneath 2 layers of that hard linoleum and a layer of tar paper which required much wetting and scraping. Now we have wood floors with giant cracks between the boadrs that things disappear into….such as all liquids etc!! But, damn they are pretty!

11. Heather B. says:

Remember all those times that I said I wanted to come live with you? Umm, yeah. For now I’ll just have to enjoy my topsoil free kitchen.

12. nabbalicious says:

You guys are so awesome. I love that you’re doing this yourselves! Call me insane, but it looks like a lot of fun.

Your kitchen looks a lot like our bathroom right now!! Yet, I know exactly which room I’m doing next!! Can anyone tell me exactly what happens when you actually finish the house? Do you get to enjoy it for the rest of your lives, or is it time for the next renovation?

14. Tammie says:

WOW!! Nice job for the Rob (he’s such a hottie!). :)
    I love watching your house being transformed, it’s like “This Old House” on a blog. Looking forward to the next phase of the remodel.

15. Tammie says:

What are those slatty pieces of wood? Is that what they used to use instead of plywood? I’m guessing that that stuff is all over your house, right? Uggg!

16. Kristi says:

Truly, that all looks like so much fun! And I’m NOT kidding! When we were in the middle of all our home renovation projects, which were nowhere the extent of yours, it was definitely “help yourself to dried cereal or nothing.”
    I would love to there helping you guys! All the bitching and complaining now, but I bet it is going to look spectacular!

17. Loopy says:

A friend sent me over here and I’m so glad she did.

We live in a 100 yr old farmhouse that had horsehair upstairs. Thank heavens the owner before us sheetrocked! LOL

BTW, I kinda agree with you about the oven.

Ooh pretty please can I borrow your husband? We have an original 1940s plywood kitchen with lathe and horse hair plaster behind them as well and I’m just dying to have a new kitchen.

19. Jo says:

You are officially my hero. We have done all home remodeling ourselves - windows, floors, walls, drywall, recently kitchen counters - we are the only people of all our friends who choose to do this, and often, in the middle of the messy chaos (emptying baby food trays in the toilet was an alltime high), I think WHY do we do this the hard way??? But then we are done, all is clean again, and it is ours - all ours, and it is lovely. With seven kiddos - wow - not sure just how you manage that. But what fun you are having :). And what can be more fun than Dad’s tools laying around? My son sure loves that part!

20. Chris says:

That is true devotion when you do manual labor in your dress shirt and khakis.

Honestly, it looks great! I would be swooning at just the thought of sheetrock going up…

21. Maddy says:

It’s all looking wonderful, I am sure it feels slow and painful but it will be worth it.

22. Rae says:

I love the image of Miles walking around with no idea why his dad is THROWING DIRT ON THE FLOOR!

I laughed out loud at your description of Miles walking around babbling about the dirt. Have I mentioned how adorable he is yet? :)

24. Trivial Mom says:

I’ve officially decided I’m never living in the house I’m remodeling. Thanks for showing the reality (dirt on the floor to clean??!!!) not just the before and after prettiness.

25. Cathy C says:

Why does it look like so much fun remodeling your house? Why isn’t it as much fun remodeling my house? I’ll have to drink another cup of coffee and think about that some more.
    Great job by the way!

26. Maggie says:

i really love your house. my favorite part of remodeling is the demolition!

27. madre-terra says:

Safety wear to match your pajamas. I gotta get me some of those.
    Love the pictures!!

28. Meg says:

Good lord, woman!

Miles is such a cutie! You did have wine and beer to go with your pizza, right? Cause after all that I’d really need a drink. The thought of throwing dirt purposefully on the floor would have killed me. You can borrow my mantra, “This too shall pass.”

30. Erika says:

I agree, looks more fun at your house than at mine ;) I hate renovating. We renovated a 1867 Victorian and after all our hard work, sold it! But hey money is money :D Onwards!
    oh, and Cheers!

31. Jean says:

Oh, the memories. I’m another one of those “been there, done that”. Now, our kitchen is gorgeous– solid cherry cabinets, an island in the middle that my brother calls ‘the continent’ because it’s so big.

Thanks for the tip (I think) about throwing dirt on the plaster dust. I didn’t know that!! If ever we lose our sanity again and do this again, I’ll try it.

And yes, it will be great when it’s done. Except one year after we finished ours, we had a house fire and had to do it all over again.

32. Playdate Susan says:

I love Rob, still in his white shirt, ripping that cabinet off the wall. Like he walked in the door and before he even sat down said, “I CAN’T TAKE IT ANY MORE!” and just pulled that thing down.

That’s how it happened, isn’t it?

33. 1girl2boys says:

I so don’t envy you right now. Although I’m sure the finished project will look wonderful. Great excuse for pizza though.

34. InterstellarLass says:

Um, I have photos of how my toilet drains weren’t even connected to the sewer pipes. That’s cool, right? We went and picked out tile for our floors last nights. And new bi-fold doors, and new back doors. I’m excited. I can’t wait. But I have to. At least a couple of weeks.

35. Personal Chef to 2 says:

My husband and yours would get along famously. They are both like Tim the Tool Man. We’ve remodeled just about our entire house - including knocking down plaster, lathe, etc - we still have a bathroom and a bedroom to go. I’m sooooooo tired of it … and now we’re thinking about moving! Crazy, I know!

36. april says:

It took us 3 months to renovate our kitchen. We lived with the sink propped up w/ a 2X4, the refrigerator on the back screened porch and we went down the street if we needed to use a stove (the stove part only lasted 10 days). I swore I would never, ever, ever do that again. But, seeing your pictures kinda makes me want to rip out a wall or two.

37. Dy says:

I had no idea until we began renovating our Forever Home just how sexy a fresh header could be. Or a sealed exterior wall… It’s a good thing we’re happily married, because I just don’t think I could function in the dating world now.

“Yeah, yeah, you drive a Benz and you’re a rocket scientist, but can you build an arch out of scrap lumber and install it from atop a toddler’s step stool?” My standards are just too high now. Or weird. Whatever.

That’s going to be a gorgeous kitchen!

38. Cathy says:

Man, I don’t know how you do it. We did a remodel two years back. I call it the year of my discontent. I had a two year old and two adolescents, not near the number you have. I was stressed. Between doing the electrical wiring, homeschooling, and just about everything else that needs to be done on five acres with animals and grass growing everywhere, well, I just about had to break into the whisky cabinet. Oh, wait, I did. We’ve had two years off of building and this year, it’s a barn raising. I determined early on to leave the building to the Amish and I don’t even go up to see the work. I’ll look when it’s done.

39. Kitchen Remodel says:

Kitchen Remodel…

I have found your blog to be really useful. Thanks for the insight and useful info. Charles…