He keeps raining on my parade with his practicality

He keeps raining on my parade with his practicality

September 25, 2006

Me: You have the crow bar out, why don’t you just tear up this horrible floor that I have despised with fury of a thousand suns ever since we bought the huse?

Him: I’d love to, but we don’t have a new floor yet.

me: So???

Him: Didn’t the tile take like 4 weeks to come the last time we had to order tile?

Me: (heavy sigh) Yes.

Him: So, maybe we should wait.

******

Me: Hey I know! Why don’t you tear out all those cabinets over there on that wall.

Him: Where would we put our stuff?

Me: (heavy sigh) I don’t know, the attic?

Him: Yeah, I am thinking that might not be convenient.

*******

Me: Hey, well why don’t you tear out the world’s smallest oven? Please? Can we just get rid of it? And while you are at it just tear out it’s gas twin over there.

Him: And you will cook how?

Me: It’s not a big deal, I hate cooking anyway.

Him: Yes, but the children are rather fond of eating.

Me: Perhaps we could break our long standing rule about Lunchables oh or maybe become raw foodists?

Him: Yeah, I don’t think so.

Comments

1. Elizabeth says:

Geez, and here you are coming up with all of these completely logical solutions to his objections, and he’s still not giving in? Men.

Here you had the cooking issue solved. No problem. He just shoots you down. So sad. sigh

3. Lucie says:

Men so logical until it comes to their tools, football games, baseball games……Then the story changes

4. Brigitte says:

Gee, I kind of agreed with the stove one . . . I actually LIKE cooking, but I think HAVING to do it for your family, EVERY day, in a MICROSCOPIC oven, would really, really suck the joy right out of it. You could live on microwave junk and chinese food for a few weeks, couldn’t you?

5. Jodi@OC says:

I get like that too. I just want to change SOMETHING, ANYTHING! Usually I paint when I get that urge.

Although right now we are in the middle of a major upstairs remodel so I have plenty to do. :)

Men… I say tear up the floor and stuff, it’ll make for interesting blogging if nothing else.

7. the womom says:

lol. I initiate all projects around these parts. I got an absolutely beautiful bathroom re-model after I learned how to rip out the linoleum. I got shelving installed after I learned how to use the drill and I got a new backyard after I learned how to prune.
    Dh hasn’t caught on, and brags to his friends at how handy I am.
    If he only knew…

8. Mir says:

What’s wrong with that man? Sheesh.

9. rachel says:

LOL! Thank you so much for that laugh.

I’m not laughing at you, I’m laughing near you.

And I thought husbands were supposed to just do what their wives said. Isn’t that written into the vows somewhere?

10. wordgirl says:

I thought men came pre-programmed with a need to tear things up with a stick (or a crowbar). I’m puzzled about this sudden shift.

Men are such party poopers.

12. Amy says:

lol! I’m totally that way. My husband is always giving an excuse why we can’t have an entirely new kitchen in one weekend.

He says something like “you start projects that I have to finish…blah,blah…

Amy

13. InterstellarLass says:

Our floors are currently being ripped up as I speak! The only bad part is they are only tearing up where they have to jackhammer. We’ll have to do the rest later. I’m going to look for tile now…

14. Michelle says:

You sound pretty desperate . . . Our home improvement projects sound similar. I’m always the one who thinks “it’ll be easy–you just pop out the old windows and stick in the new ones, it’ll take a day or two, tops” and my husband, the practical one with very little construction experience who knows how long it will really take. He’s a good sport but can get irritated when I’m urging him on but don’t have to do most of the work.

15. Chris says:

I hate the voice of reason…

16. ben says:

I’m usually not such an ass, but never EVER talk with my wife. You too would just get each other in trouble, encouraging such behavior…