NASCAR prefers this blog, sudafed, jack o’lanterns, and Tyvek

NASCAR prefers this blog, sudafed, jack o’lanterns, and Tyvek

October 8, 2006

So what did you do this weekend?

You can view the photo set as well as read my oh-so-not-funny commentary.

I resided hell’s half acre with clapboard. Okay I exaggerate slightly, it only felt like hell’s half acre, in reality it is about 1000 sq ft. Oh, and I didn’t actually do any of it.

I did ooooh and aaaaah, though that was mostly reserved for the kids and their tricks they performed on the scaffolding for my heart stopping enjoyment.

“Back in my day kids, we played on metal jungle gyms over concrete just like this. And we liked it. None of that pansy soft ground covering to break our falls. We fell and broke our bones… and we were thankful.”

I am going to have to paint it all this clapboard this week once it is up since we only have the scaffolding rented for a week. Just so you know I do pull my weight around here. And I definitely do more than my fair share of complaining.

But before we put the clapboard up, we wrapped the house in Tyvek. And did you know that it is preferred by NASCAR? Me neither. And no I don’t know why NASCAR prefers it, or what they prefer it over. I would prefer to wear a suit of clothing made of Tyvek, rather than say, thorny brambles. Perhaps NASCAR would prefer cars crashing into Tyvek, rather than another car.

NASCAR Prefers

******

If you go to the pharmacy and stock up on all your cold, flu, fever, headache supplies and find that you can only buy one box of your beloved extended release sudafed, making a joke to the pharmacist about running a meth lab would be ill advised. I fully expect the next time that I venture in there to replenish my stock that my name will be flagged and I will be forced to suffer with the watered down pretend sudafed.

******

I decided to grab some pumpkins for the kid’s jack o’lanterns while I was handing over my weekly tithe to my place of worship, Home Depot. Mir alerted me to the pumpkin shortage this year, and I sort of thought she was exaggerating, until I saw how few there were everywhere. But as I placed seven pumpkins into my cart, I couldn’t help but feel like I was hoarding pumpkins. And it was going to cause some sort of pumpkin panic.

So I felt compelled to tell everyone who even glanced at me that I have SEVEN children and they all want their own jack o’ lanterns, and because I had such a suck ass childhood and never had a jack o’ lantern I like to indulge them this, and frankly every single other, desire they have. And that is why I have SEVEN pumpkins. Not because I am an oportunistic pumpkin grabbing freak.

Comments

1. Karen Rani says:

Why don’t you just buy up all the apple juice and milk in the world too, huh? Huh?

Yeah that meth lab jokey thing? Not so jokey with the white coats. So I’ve heard.

2. CaliforniaGrammy says:

Tyvek and Nascar? I don’t get the connection either. And shortage of pumpkins? Unbelievable! Maybe in your part of the country, because on our way home from the Bay Area we passed a million fields of pumpkins just dying for you to tromp into the mud to pick out your favorite. Good luck on the painting . . . that seems like a huge project.

3. kate says:

I think 7 pumpkins for 7 kids is right! Good for you everyone deserves their own pumpkin~

4. owlhaven says:

Oh, yeah, I so remember those jungle gyms over asphalt! Not one broken arm do I remember on one of those. But my sister did break her arm tripping over a half-inch difference in height on the neighbor’s sidewalk!

Mary, mom to many

5. Karen Rani says:

I meant to say that up there was sarcasm…sorry if it didn’t come off that way.

I LOVE YOU MAN. :)

6. Suebob says:

You may need a minder, lest you start making bomb jokes next time you go to an airport.

It is so nice of you to get a pumpkin for each kiddo. You are a good, good mommy.

It is a good pumpkin year here in So Cal. There are bazillions out in the fields. I would mail you some, but that pumpkin postage is a killa.

7. nabbalicious says:

Nascar is weird, I know that much.

8. Joy H says:

I didn’t get jack-o-lanterns as a kid either so it’s the one MUST-DO for my kiddos every year. YES, I’ll get four, but the little guy will paint his.

I wasn’t as quite as adventurous as you were but I did get some shelving and organizational stuff for my kids’ stuff.

Feel better soon!

9. Maliavale says:

Just make sure you don’t get Claritin-D. That stuff had my heart racing like there was no tomorrow … and really, there would have been no tomorrow had I not stopped taking it. Heart palpitations.

10. Maddy says:

I broke my collar bone and some ribs on the concrete following and attempt to be Nadia Comaneci in 1975 … I’m sure I look spectacular as I flew thew the air.

11. Dy says:

Ooooo, Tyvek! This house has no Tyvek. It actually has nothing recognizable as any form of vapor barrier or weather-resistant material. We dream of the day we can rip these lousy bricks off and throw up a little Tyvek and chicken-wire so it can behave like a real home, rather than a lean-to shelter. In the meantime, we keep improving the interior and praying for another dry year.

…And pumpkins. We actually signed up for a field trip at a farm this month, not because I feel compelled to trek through Farmer Johnson’s private property with the humanoid equivalent of a herd of wild buffalo, but because the field trip fee included a pumpkin for each child, and the math indicated this will be cheaper. Perhaps not emotionally, but financially, anyway.

Happy Painting!

Dy

12. meredith says:

I am smiling at jungle gym memories, yeah we did survive cement playgrounds. And thanks for reminding me, I am out of RhinAdvil, the only thing that works for me.

13. eko says:

Oh please, you are SO not needing to explain buying seven pumpkins - when all the McMansions around us sport - 12 to 20 pumpkins on their front stoop (heh) just for decoration, never ever to be carved and appreciated by little ones with even bigger smiles. (Is that the longest running sentence or WHAT?)

14. Brigitte says:

Man, they ACTUALLY put through that stupid Sudafed law?

I think you need at least 7 more “back up” pumpkins, for kids who want to try again after a failed carving (or just for toasting seeds).

The IGA around here, on the other side of the state from you, is selling them for 9 cents a pound with the store card . . . 29 cents if you don’t have one, which is still cheap compared to the farm stands. I just bought five yesterday even though I only have one child, because they’re really for ME, ME, ME (and that’s who it’s all about, yeah)!

I love your home renovation phtots. And I totally agree about the the Claritin-D - I think “non-drowsy” means they load it up with stimulants.

I need some of your Sudafed. I woke up this morning all stuffed up and coughing. I thought about making some of your Martyr Muffins just for fun, so I could whine, but all I made were canned bisquits. Oh well.
    sniff sniff

Great pictures! And you’ve reminded me that even though renting sucks with the white walls and such at least I’m not dealing with Tyvek. (Someone has to figure out the connection with Nascar, that’s going to drive me nuts all day now.)

18. Jackie says:

LOL at the Sudafed comments!!! I think the lady at the counter groans when I come in for my real Sudafed or the Claritan D (which I think works great for the fall allergy thing). I have to bitch EVERY time when they take my license and have to run the number through their computer like I’m some criminal because I have a runny nose! Why do the good people have to suffer because of the losers out there?

19. Erika says:

Thanks for the morning laugh. You pumpkin hoarder :D
    we are doing pumpkins this weekend. I hope their really isnt a shortage in MA. we go with dh family and dh is one of 11 ( i have 19 soon to be 20 nieces and nephews!) They ALL need their own pumpkin, im sure the farmers HATE to see us commin…lol)

20. Ruth H says:

At age 62 we began building our home to retire in. We had an engineer/builder/contractor design and supervise the slab and framing. He also supervised the roofing and we did ALL the rest. Plumbing, electrical, sheetrock and beadboard all by these two older folks.
    So I can give you good advice on painting the clapboard. We used a Wagner power painting device that had a flat pad shaped much like an iron. I literlally IRONED our house, twice.It was a great help and probably much faster than using a brush and we didn’t like the sprayer type. I would recommend it. We used a really pretty hardiboard lapboard with a bead on the edge, just the looke we wanted in our faux “old Texas farmhouse”. Do this type work while you are young, not over 60!!

21. JO says:

Well I’m over sixty too and you did ask what we did over the weekend…we went to Hannibal MO…Mark Twains home town and stayed in a wonderful bed and breakfast and antiqued and boated and ate and honeymooned and had a wonderful time.

22. zookeeper says:

What’s even more annoying about the Sudafed law is when you get hammered with a cold when the pharmacy ISN’T open and you have to settle for sub-par cold meds that just don’t seem to work. So much for the pursuit of life, liberty and happiness….when I can’t even pursue an unclogged nose!

23. Lilly says:

Dupont Tyvek protective racing apparel!.. preferred by NASCAR. Thank-you Google…

24. geminishadow says:

My husband and I thought about that too, when we resided our house. Why does NASCAR prefer Tyvek????? We never figured it out

25. Amah says:

I survived all the concrete playgrounds only to break a collar bone falling out of bed!! hehehehehe And pumpkins ~~~~ I don’t believe that any child should have to do without. I was never “into” jack-o-lanterns as a kid - but the kids we have at Halloween are overjoyed with every bit of the tradition!!! They have lots - n- lots of fun!!

26. Daisy says:

7 pumpkins? You go, girl! A kid deserves his/her own pumpkin to carve (or draw on) at Halloween.

27. wendy says:

In Oregon, we have to have a prescription to get good Sudafed. Stupid meth freaks.

28. Danielle says:

I just haven’t been in the pumpkin mood this year. It’s kinda hard to believe that it’s pumpkin season when it’s still in the high 80’s outside. It just doesn’t seem right.

I think that I still have to go search for them so I’m a good mom but it’s just not the same for me.

29. Caya says:

Yes I can’t take the Claritin either. It had me SO WIRED I couldn’t function. I think that stuff is moderately dangerous. The bad part is that I can’t take any other over-the-counter stuff for colds/flu either, even the “daytime” stuff. It all puts me right to sleep. Except simple cough syrup, with nothing else added in it. That won’t put me to sleep, but I don’t feel exactly perky either.

30. liz says:

I thought I was having a heart attack when I took Claritin. Never, ever again.

I love those photos!

31. Amanda-Brianne says:

I will now officially make my first comment to this blog that has become my breastfeeding bordem killer *drumroll please*… I know why NASCAR prefers Tyvek. Sadly it isn’t something exciting that will make you all gasp in amazement. Simply, Tyvek is made by Dupont, Dupont pours insanely huge amounts of money into NASCAR. So, NASCAR ACTUALLY prefers when Tyvek hands them big checks not the plasticy stuff you stick on the side of your house. Oh and Chris *be jealous* my construction company owning father has suits that are made completely of Tyvek, just something for you to know incase the thorny brambles ever become an actual option for your wardrobe ;)

32. InterstellarLass says:

Pharmacists are not knownn for their sense of humor. I however, think it’s quite funny.

You can have my two pumpkins. We probably won’t do them. I hate pumpkin slime.

33. Fold My Laundry Please says:

Come to Idaho…there is surely no pumpkin shortage here. It seems like the stores have more pumpkins than usual this year. Hrrmmmm, perhaps Idaho is hoarding pumpkins….

34. Anne says:

I see our religions are similar. I seem to hand over atleast 1 paycheck to Lowes every month. I swear, our new place is a money pit. LOL Isn’t home ownership fun???

Anne

35. Jen says:

Pumpkin shortage? Seriously? We just got back from a camping trip where we carved pumpkins, and it took us half an hour to pick the “perfect” pumpkin from the gobs and gobs of them around. Strange.