Love is…

Love is…

October 12, 2006

Discovering this….

that he has smashed every single one of your clay pots on the driveway …

Oh wait, here is one last large piece

Love is grabbing your camera instead of listing him on ebay.

Love is chosing to laugh, rather than yell.

Love is remembering that they are just objects that can be replaced, unlike your baby’s spirit.

Working hard

Love is also teaching him about logical consequences by making him clean up his own mess, which he enjoyed way WAY too much.

(yes, it is Love Thursday again. Visit karen at chookooloonks to add yours)

Comments

1. Chookooloonks says:

Damn. That IS love. :o)

But you’re right — there’s beauty in everything, isn’t there?

Happy Love Thursday!

K.

2. wookie says:

Wow… it helps when they’re so little to remember that they have pretty much no clue about the destructive or dangerous nature of that choice of activity (I’ve cut myself on clay pot shards… ouch!). And it helps that they’re cute :-P

If you do a lot of large planters, you might want to keep a bucket of those shards around to use at the bottom of large planters for drainage.

3. Cathy C says:

He is so sweet! It amazes even me when my own son does something wrong, but it doesn’t bother me because I can see his sweet charm instead. Doesn’t happen that way every single time though, but I’m glad when it does.

4. Petey says:

How do you do it? I only have 2 kids and this would have sent me over the edge. You have 7 and take it in stride. I need to learn from your example.

5. Jenna says:

Oh my. That’s perfect. “Not listing him on ebay.”

Thank you for the reminder that stuff is just stuff.

Happy Love Thursday!

6. Kristie says:

That picture of him with that huge broom is too adorable for words. Thanks for the reminder to be patient. Mine haven’t broken anything … yet …. today …. but I’m sure it’s coming. :)

So sweet. I can imagine how much sheer pleasure he derived from throwing each one of those pots.

8. jennifer g. says:

I’m extremely jealous of your ability to see the good in a situation like this. I try to restrain myself so the neighbors don’t get the wrong idea about me, but I would have truly lost it if that had happened here. My mother was a yeller, and I’m sorry to say that I inherited that tendency.

9. Cheryl says:

He probably dropped the first pot on accident and realized what a “lovely” sound clay pots make when they crack…..and he just could not stop….he is too cute! And you, dear Chris, are a good mommy!! :) (Keep some of the pieces in a bucket to put in the bottoms of large planters for good drainage.)

10. Keri says:

My 14-month-old son tore a page out of my new book this morning. I had to laugh because he was reading a grown-up book and turning the pages to find the pictures when he accidently tore the page. I can’t get upset with him because I want him to keep on loving books.

Love Thursdays are awesome!

11. Elizabeth says:

Thank you for the reminder that stuff is just stuff. I would have completely lost my mind.

12. Jonathon says:

You are one incredibly level-headed human being.

Not getting mad = cool.

Thinking to grab the camera = awesome.

13. Bozoette Mary says:

Thanks for the laughter!!

14. Sara says:

I can just hear the deep belly laughs that came out of that boy upon the shattering of each pot. Good on ya for grabbing your camera and making it a good memory. I prayed today that I might do the same with my four today.

15. rachel says:

It’s a chant “people over things, people over things”. Hope to someday repeat it less.

Love the idea of going for the camera first, I need to remember that!

It’s lucky he looks so cute the whole time!

16. Jenny says:

I have to admit, the sound of a clay pot smashing into hundreds of pieces on asphalt is awesome. I could hear it in your pictures.

So, um, guess some nice potted mums are out this fall, huh?

17. Jordana says:

Your ability not to sell/strangle him is amazing. Good for you. I’m not sure I would have managed such restraint.

18. ann-marie says:

that broom is bigger than he is! sounds like a good leasson was learned, for mama and baby. :)

19. Jen says:

You are the most awesome mom! I think I would have yelled quite a bit before remembering the camera. I often say it’s a good thing they’re so cute–it’s what keeps them alive.

Happy Love Thursday!

20. 1girl2boys says:

Wow, that is love! It sure makes good pictures, though.

21. Kira says:

Gorgeous.
    Um…just wondering…what category would you list a child under on Ebay anyhow?

22. owlhaven says:

The broom picture– too adorable

23. Debbie says:

I did wonder many months ago how you got all the pots to stay on the stoop and not all over the driveway…. maybe I should have said something??

Man, you’re a calm Momma. I would have drop kicked his ass out of the yard…

24. Lorraine says:

Thanks for the reminder! stuff is just stuff… I’m with Jennifer G… my mom was a screamer, and I inheirted it. I’m trying very hard to break the cycle in my own house.

PS. Thanks for the reminder that it’s Love Thursday! I’ll be posting mine soon… *S*

25. bluepaintred says:

quick the pot on the right is still fine. grab it!

26. Lilly says:

I think the pot on the right might be plastic. Not as satisfying to drop at all.

I just realized that I’m a little jealous of Miles for the pleasure of dropping all those pots. And kudos to you for not turning his probably innocent pleasure into tears and sadness. Having him clean it up as a consequence will probably help him remember not to drop pots again…..

27. Lilly says:

Also, in that second photo it looks like Miles is doing a little Shakespeare… “Alas poor clay pot, I knew thee well.”

28. wordgirl says:

You’ve just pointed out one of the most important lessons in motherhood. The ability to pause, take a breath and remember that the kid is more important than the flowerpot. I think we all need to remember that more often.

29. Karin says:

I pick list him on Ebay…Then call me right away, I want to bid, he is just too cute.

30. Mom Nancy says:

Isn’t breaking plates part of Greek tradition? Any Greek heritage lurking around there? What a cutie. I have to admit my jaw just dropped!

31. Rae says:

You did better than I would have done, although that must have really been a satisfying smash.

32. Lori says:

I wish two things–one, that I could smash some clay pots myself; and two, that I could smoosh my 16 year old back to that size and just cuddle him again!

33. liz says:

Jonothan said what I was going to. You are awesome. And that boy is too cute!

Oh how fun that must have been. Thank you for making me remember stuff is just stuff. You’re a great mama.

35. crunchy carpets says:

How about grabbing the camera AND listing them on Ebay??

yeah…..

those moments tend to make me laugh too instead of being angry…

what can you do right?

36. The Wooden Porch says:

Happy love thurs!

That is funny and cute. Have a wonderful day!

37. Teri says:

My daughter once gave me a surprising Mother’s Day gift - she had stripped herself naked and had colored over every inch of her body (that she could reach) with colored markers. She was all different colors of scribble. I couldn’t decide if I should laugh or cry. So, I got the camera. She is now 11. I found that photo the other day rumaging through a box and laughed until tears came to my eyes. Those days go by so quickly - enjoy them all!

We should all take lessons from you.

What a touching post!

39. Other blogs says:

Blogging Baby Sleepover for Thursday, October 12…

Filed under: Blogs Here in Northern California it’s still warm enough for shorts, but I noticed that…

40. Joy H says:

You’re awesome!

I’ve only been that calm ONCE when my 18mo. son managed to squeeze a whole can of Redi-Wip onto the carpet while I was nursing my newborn. Little ‘fridge thief, he was! Yep, grabbed the video & camera.

Thanks for the reminder about the lessons we teach & learn!

41. Steph. says:

Awww… Now take those pieces of pots and make a mosaic or something with them and let him enjoy them that way! He’s too cute to be too frustrated at for that. I run into the same problem with my 2-year-old daughter!

42. Kris says:

Priceless. I especially love the shot of him with the broom. Teach them young, their families will be better for it.

There is a reason why kids are so cute…

43. Pastormac's Ann says:

That’s a WHOLE LOTTA LOVE! Wow!

44. Cmommy says:

I can hear the smashing!! The photos are terrific—he is SO adorable! Chrissy

45. daring one says:

I’ve got about 15 extra clay pots with your name on em. Just come out and get them. Love the pictures.

46. Mel says:

Sometimes, grabbing the camera is the only reasonable thing to do!

47. meredith says:

You are a great mom. Thanks for the reminder to laugh instead of yell.

48. madre-terra says:

Good thing it was Love Thursday and not Cranky Friday.
    Aaawww, they’re only pots. What fun pictures and very sweet post.

49. HG says:

Rotten boy!! (Man, is he cute though ;) )

50. margalit says:

My son did something similar when he was about 6. He got into the recycling and broke every single glass bottle and jar on the driveway. It was pretty and sparkling and extremely dangerous. Like you, I taught him the error of his ways with a big broom. Lucky he didn’t kill himself, the big dolt!

51. Suebob says:

It made me lose my mind just looking at the pictures. Which is why I sit here, childless.

Only HE could make smashing clay pots look so damned cute! Love the clean up pic of him, hes adorable…

53. Angi says:

OMG!!! When I first looked at the pic, I thought he was picking up leaves…. that’s what I get for reading blogs without my glasses on. lol.