Complaining about the weather already… it’s going to be a LONG winter

Complaining about the weather already… it’s going to be a LONG winter

October 21, 2006

I now know what it would be like to be sucked up an Oreck Windtunnel.

Holy crap but it was windy at my house yesterday. All the leaves got whipped off of the trees, the recycling got blown away, probably into the neighbors yards. I was hoping that the leaves that were in our yard would be magically blown into the neighbors yard, leaving ours free of leaves. Instead I think we gathered all the leaves town wide into our yard.

Tree limbs fell down all over the place. Our cell phones still aren’t working because a couple of towers blew down or something.

And cold? It was so damn cold. Our central heat kicked on for the first time this season when the house temperature dropped to 56 degrees. Once I realized it was that cold in the house and not my imagination that my fingers and toes were numb, I cranked that thermostat up to 58. 58, the new comfortable. (In case anyone is wondering, my children don’t seem to feel the cold and are in fact runing around in the house barefoot and wearing shorts, while I am swaddled in layers and wearing shoes. IN THE HOUSE! yes, the flylady would be so pleased.)

But worse yet. The internet was down. So I sat down on my couch and turned on the television, but the cable was out also.

Rob arrived home last night at 10:00 pm to find me sitting on the couch staring at the snow on the television. I am not sure what is more pathetic, that I was doing that… or that I am writing about it.

Comments

1. Brigitte says:

58!? We go all out for the luxurious temperature of 60 degrees (but only because of some fine print warning on our fridge that said it wouldn’t operate correctly if the house was less than that).

I usually take such misfortune as the opportunity to indulge in chocolate (any excuse will do, really).

2. CaliforniaGrammy says:

The grass is always greener on the other side! I’m wishing it were cooler here in California . . . I just turned on the air conditioner because I looked at the indoor thermometer and it read 86.4! Maybe a happy medium would be appropriate here! Hope you’re cozy now.

3. Debbie says:

No internet? No TV?? It’s times like that I sympathise with our ancestors. Like, with no TV what did *they* stare at in the corner??

4. kathy says:

You need satellite internet as a back up, Christ. I’m sure Rob can write it off. :) Then you can take it with you anywhere. I can’t imagine the injustice of an entire DAY without internet!!!

We keep the trailer at 63 (and we ALREADY had SNOWWWWW!!!!) Why oh WHY are we headed north instead of south??? Why oh why did I consent to TDay in MINNESOTA??? What the HELL was I under the influence of?

5. Kara says:

It was snowing here today. It’s not even Halloween yet and we have snow! I blinked and missed fall somewhere…

6. Julie Q. says:

In honor of your cold and very Blustery Day, I will sing my favorite Winnie the Pooh song:

The more it snows (Tiddely pom),
    The more it goes (Tiddely pom),
    The more it goes (Tiddely pom),
    On snowing. And nobody knows (Tiddely pom),
    How cold my toes (Tiddely pom),
    How cold my toes (Tiddely pom),
    Are growing.

7. Blaine says:

Oy!!! 58 degrees! My family is cold when I set the A/C to 74 in the summer. Winter time temps here in So Cal are truly shocking at 70 degrees. 8^) Writing from under two cozy blankets.

8. April says:

I agree with California Grammy. It’s a littke depressing to live in Southern California sometimes. The rest of the country gets to enjoy cooler weather and leaves blowing around. We get to sweat and watch the dirt grow. I’ll trade you!

9. Wooden Porch says:

LOL about the flylady part!! I can never wear my shoes in the house either.

Goodness, your house is really cold!! Once our house got down to 59, but that was only because I was pregnant.

Hey, you aren’t expecting again, are you? ;-)

10. Cheryl says:

whew! 58 degrees inside the house is cold….I would be shaking in my booties…:)

11. Wendy says:

I love it when it is cold. We got down to about 65 degrees on Friday and I was in heaven. I got to wear jeans and a long sleeve shirt. Too bad it didnt last, the baby and I were very warm in our winter clothes later that afternoon when it was closer to 80 degrees.

We sleep with temp set at 70 degree. Everyone complains, but I hate to be hot when I sleep.

We have an extra wood burning stove, if you want. I have no idea why someone would have a stove down here in SE LA.

12. T in HD says:

Take my phone (please), take my television even, but DON’T take my internet!! I get the shakes just thinking about it….

I’ve already started complaining about the weather too, and we’ve dropped to a cool 60 something. I just have this thing about being addicted to heat. I guess it comes from living in TX. Now if we could have some real snow with the cold, that would be different. All we get is ice, and building icemen just doesn’t have the same ring.

14. Cathy says:

The new terrorism - no technology.

Yikes! 58 degrees in the house, I would be freezing. I went outside this morning to get my Sunday paper, and its about 60 degrees out. I was cold. Then I ran in to my house that is at about 74 degrees- with no heater on. But you see, my temps here today will hit about 80 degrees or so and I am wishing that I had the colder weather to deal with. Especially during this time of the year. I guess we really do want what we dont have. LOL..

16. jody2ms says:

It is cold here as well. Well, cold for Texas. It was in the 50’s this morning.

Did you end up getting a Slanket?

17. jo(e) says:

Cold and windy here too. A fireplace is the only thing that keeps me sane. That, and dark chocolate.

18. rachel says:

I’m annoyed we don’t have a fireplace. :(

A few tree branches fell down in our yard, too. Thanfully they didn’t knock anything over (or fall on the car).

Brrrr… the soccer field was *freezing* yesterday. So cold that an aquaintance loaned LG mittens. And I unrolled my turtleneck to cover my ears. We were major fashion don’ts.

Tomorrow’s low here is suppose to be 32! I’m ready for summer again.

20. Gwen says:

“I am not sure what is more pathetic, that I was doing that… or that I am writing about it.”

It’s a toss up. :^)

58 is about where I am comfortable, of course, I am pregnant.

21. Daisy says:

We lost phone for 48 hours and Internet for a week (and our braille printer for two months!) after a lightning strike in August. I hear you!

22. Cookie says:

And I thought I was the only one who set their heat low. I usually keep it at 60, but if company comes over, it goes up to 68. Of course since I’m used to 60 I’m roasting at that temp, but otherwise people complain.

23. Contrary says:

I know I’m coming from a completely different perspective, but I would LOVE some Winter weather. My almost 4 year old has seen snow ONCE. My 16 year old has seen snow maybe 4 times. Not real snow either..I’m talking the kind of snow that melts off by 9am, which does not count.

24. Brandi says:

At least it didn’t snow. We’ve had 3 snowstorms in the last week already and it’s not even Halloween yet. Ugh!

Thanks to Poltergeist and The Ring, I’ll forever be freaked out by snowy television channels.

25. Mocha says:

Oh, goody! I have someone to commiserate with on the state of the weather. Why don’t we live on some tropical island, huh?

26. Darren McLikeshimself says:

Sweet Jesus, it was so cold in Nabby’s apartment this weekend that I could actually feel the dinner I was eating heating me up from the inside out.

27. meg says:

Wow, 58. I won’t tell you what I cranked the thermostat at my place up to last night…

28. Kristi says:

I went to turn my heat on yesterday and it is broken. I am sitting here in layers and a coat while the kids are oblivious to the elements. I’m afraid of my heating bills this winter because my bones need at least 75 degrees.

29. karen says:

I’ve lived in Southern California my entire life and at this point I don’t think I could survive extreme cold.

30. InterstellarLass says:

We keep our a/c low, so when it gets ‘cold’ here, we don’t kick on the heat for quite a while. But I warmed up the house yesterday by cooking. I had to step outside to cool down!

31. daring one says:

My Canadian family members would pummel me if they knew my heat kicks in when it gets down to 72 degrees in my house. Brrr…..

32. Cathy C says:

I so need technology. Was the land line phone working at least?? please tell me yes. 58? My husband would love you. 58 is not acceptable inside the house for me. 62 is. If the temp outside drops to 50, the wood stove gets lit, too.

33. Jennine says:

We heat with an indoor woodstove which means our house is either arid extra dry or Peppermint Patty cold. There’s no in between. I envy your thermostat!

34. Maine Mom says:

And I thought I was doing good with our heat set on 64!…usually I have it set on 70.

35. Lisa says:

I also used to read a lot of Berenstain Bears to my kids until I noticed that the stories always made Papa Bear out to be a total idiot.

36. Izzy says:

I guess I shouldn’t complain that it will be 46 tomorrow..IN FLORIDA! IN OCTOBER!

37. asian video says:

rsizzhfq pfezqc efxroeqvoi…

kjbwpfmbpy cmjrhzha yojdpbhwk ryvklopyc…