Real men wear purple

Real men wear purple

October 28, 2006

Remember those cute tie dye shirts the children made? And some of you said I should be cautious when I washed them? But, me being me, I ignored you and just threw them in with the laundry like I do everything else.

Well now, all the whites are slightly purplish. My 10 yr old held up his formerly white socks and declared that he couldn’t wear them. “They look like GIRL socks!”

Who knew that wearing a lavender shirt was acceptable, but socks that have the slightest purple discoloration are not. And my screaming in mock horror while clawing my face with my fingers, “Oh NO, if you wear them everyone will think you are…A…GIRL. AAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!!!! A fate worse than DEATH!!!” did nothing to change his mind. Which is a shame.

Feel bad for him, because his feet are going to get awfully cold (and ironically purplish) this winter.

Comments

1. Debbie says:

Then he will have GIRL feet! I buy nothing but black for this very reason….

2. Cheryl says:

His feet will be more purple from the cold than from the socks…..to be an extra nice mommy maybe you could throw those socks in a bit of bleach water and whiten them up a bit? :)

3. Caya says:

or you could dye them dark blue-

4. Cathy C says:

What if he wears them outside (with no shoes on) and jumps in some mud. Then they would be brown socks.

AHHHHH! How dare a boy be caught in purplish socks!
    When we first got married I washed a red dish towel with all the whites. My hubby wore pinkish t-shirts, undies and socks for quite a while! HA!

6. Fold My Laundry Please says:

My aunt once convinced my uncle to wear a light purple dress shirt he got to a family get together. Then she made the mistake of pulling all the male cousins aside and asking them not to pick on my uncle because he was a little sensitive about wearing purple. Needless to say, the rest of the evening consisted of guys teasing him and saying things like, “Did that shirt come with a matching purse?” and “You look awfully pretty tonight!” We laugh about it now, but males can be ruthless when they sense weakness!

7. Contrary says:

Just for the record, in case anyone is keeping track, I’m totally on his side. Purple socks are girl socks unless it’s the 80’s and you’re Boy George, who is, in another stroke of irony, more feminine that most girls.

8. menoblog says:

That kind of sarcastic performance is never appreciated when i pull it on my daughter. But i appreciated yours! Wish there had been a video.

9. Julie Q. says:

Maybe he would feel better if you listed all the cool men who also wear purple: Prince, Barney, the Fruit of the Loom grape dude… Uh, nevermind.

10. Maddy says:

My two boys would find the request to wear purple’ish socks “soo gay”, not that either of them have the slightest clue what “soo gay” means.

I agree with Cathy, send him outside in them with no shoes, 30 seconds … problem solved.

11. Wanda says:

I’m going to sound like a commercial. A friend told me about carbona dye grabber, just throw it in the wash with anything that might bleed color. I found it at my locate fabric store, but you can buy it on cabona’s web site. It really works. It’s about $5 and is supposed to last about 30 wash loads.

“Reusable Terry Cloth - helps prevent mixed load accidents. Wash color and whites together or separately. Dye Grabber™ grabs hold and absorbs loose dye and grime in your wash cycle.Dye Grabber™ keeps clothes bright, bold and vibrant! Once the dye and grunge is on the Dye Grabber™, it WILL NOT come off!”

12. Andrea says:

Donnie Osmond wore purple socks! Alas, your son isn’t a little bit country or a little bit rock-n-roll.

13. fidget says:

RIT brand makes a dye remover that is cheap and will suck that lavander right outta those whites. Of course that will only solve the purple sock problem - I dont think RIT makes anything to teach kids to appreciate a good sarcastic moment

14. chris says:

I’ll have to try one of those dye remover suggestions. Seriously though that socks are barely discolored, not enough that *I* think anyone would notice in the one inch strip that shows between jeans and shoes. But what do I know.

15. Natalie says:

Oh no, not purple socks!! Ha ha…
    I’m glad I’m not the only one color changing my laundry.
    I had a yellow shirt that turned green when I accidentally washed it on hot with my blue jeans. =)

16. Amah says:

All of my kids have some light blue socks - mostly cause my DH put ALL of thier clothes in with a pair of new jeans. They don’t care tho’ - they just wear what we put on them - now if you asked them to pick up toys - THAT’S waaaaaayyyyy baaaaaaaaaadddddd!

17. jen says:

I have also turned my husband’s t-shirts, undies and socks pink. I accidently picked up a red dishtowel that had never been washed before with some of his t-shirts. I remember taking them out of the washer and thinking, “who could I hire to say it was a washer malfunction and not a wife malfunction?” So I called up the husband, at work, and asked “do you want me to bleach your t-shirts, undies and socks or would you like to wear pink, a lot?” He got the gist without me having to explain my mistake and asked me to go ahead and bleach them.

18. Karmyn R says:

When I was a young girl my mom decided to change my carpet in my bedroom - but the cheap way. She rented a steam cleaner and put brown die in the machine…

Well, I think I had brown-bottomed socks for about a year after that - and knees and bottom if I sat for too long. (and in a couple of places my bedroom walls where I had rested my feet). It was a lesson well learned!

19. meredith says:

Isn’t it weird how colors will wash right out of shirts and onto white socks, never to wash out again? You’d think if the color leaked once, it would leak again off of the white stuff. My husband has lots of pinkish socks and underwear now.

20. Alice H says:

Meredith, I think it’s because the color gets heat-set in the dryer.