Halloween Eve

Halloween Eve

October 30, 2006

Turns out I couldn’t just sit on the couch and relax all day, testing the Halloween candy. Because:

1) I realized I haven’t actually bought any Halloween candy yet

2) I had to go out and spend $50 on a hat for Young Indiana Jones. Last year he was Indiana Jones. Though lost on me, apparently the distinction is important.

3) Because I am so committed to shopping exercising, I returned my sneakers and bought a new, better, and therfore more expensive pair.

4) I had to carve, help carve, or supervise the carving of six pumpkins. The seventh is sitting there intact mocking me. I could say that the baby doesn’t want his carved. That he likes it just the way it is. If I don’t get around to doing it tomorrow though that will be my story.

5) I had to buy Christmas ornaments because they were on sale for 60% off. Why are they on sale already? Because nothing says getting into the Halloween spirit like doing a little Christmas shopping.

…and in breaking news, my 5 yr old broke the screen on his Leapster tonight.

Comments

1. owlhaven says:

For awhile we did a pumpkin per kid too. Then we burned out. Sucks to be the youngest…well, except for the gargantuan toy collection you inherit, and all the doting older sibs, and the mellow momma…

Mary, mom to many

2. Meg says:

Does that mean that there are 2 more things that are going to break in the near future??

3. Michelle says:

Oh my god! If we had a broken screen on a leapster I would have to make a trip to the nearest target to get a new one. LOL That would be a tragedy here.

4. Lilly says:

Googled leapster.. My guess before seeing one was that he broke something to do with a trampoline.

5. Cheryl says:

Poor 5 year old :(( he needs a new Leapster…and those new and improve (and therefore, more expensive) shoes *will* make you run faster!

6. Fold My Laundry Please says:

let the baby decorate his pumpkin with pens and markers, then use permanent marker to draw on a face and viola! The seventh pumpkin is complete!

7. Maddy says:

Yes I too suggest markers for the baby, those sharp knives can be a little tricky to get the hang of … OHHH I get it … real blood for the hallaween costume, good thinking.

8. Cathy C says:

At least you thought about resting on the couch.
    My mother in law did what Fold My Laundry Please suggested with my 2 year old, and he was very happy with it. Until it rained the other night and washed it clean. I guess the permanent marker is key, LOL!
    BTW, are you testing that candy yet? Get going already!

9. Sara says:

Chris, you are waaaay ahead of my game this year. We don’t have even one pumpkin (I have four kids) to carve, paint, draw on or otherwise deface (ha! deface!). I simply didn’t have the time or patience this time to have everyone tire of the fun after five minutes and be left doing it on my own. So! No pumpkin. The kids have hardly mentioned it. Think I can get that lucky at Christmas and not have to put up the tree?

10. InterstellarLass says:

You should probably call children’s services on me…we don’t have pumpkins. I never liked carving them as a kid, and my kids have never expressed an interest in doing them either. We do, however, have a few pounds of candy from trick-or-treating at my work last Friday. And we’re going out tonight for more! The dentist loves me.

11. Erika says:

our pumpkin is just a pumpkin. No face, no marker, hell my dh set it atop a ladder witha spot light… why? I have NO idea..
    hmm Maybe I will let my 2 year old marker it up today; SHould be fun.
    I can see it now, her face, hands and everything around her will be black. haven’t you seen my blog and her artistic talents? lol

12. Erika says:

There I fixed my blog addy. I hope

13. Amber says:

Sounds like our place, only I intentionally chose to not buy the candy until the day before. Forget the kids: I’m worried I’LL eat it….

14. Jonathon says:

We just let Little-E scribble on her pumpkin with some permanent marker. Job. Done.

15. bluepaintred says:

oh man i think i would cry if my 4 year old broke his leap pad. that think is so great for a nice quiet cup of coffee. oh and plus he can count and stuff now too. But coffee!

we tottally carved pumpkins this year. i thought my boys were too young, but the seven year old did a skeleton and the four did a normal triangle eye one. i was quite shocked they could do it!

we tossed photos of the pumpkins up, you should too, Id love to see them!

16. Kelly says:

Ha I have a even better excuse for the pumpkins. I simply forgot to buy them. It slipped my mind completly. I know I am going to have my kids in therapy forever because I forgot to have pumpkins this year.

*sigh*

17. halloweenlover says:

I suspect that Miles would like a pumkin with stickers stuck all over it, and he can even do it himself! It’ll be the most authentic and fair thing to do, I think.

Pics of the kids!!!

18. cassie-b says:

Happy Halloween.

I didn’t even get one pumpkin carved. But I did make a pumpkin pie.

Cas

19. Playdate Susan says:

We bought pre-carved pumpkins (well, I didn’t, I was out of town, it was my husband and his mother, but anyway) and they rotted. ROTTED. So now the kids want to start over.

To that I say HELL NO.

20. Momto3inPA says:

Call the leapster people. If you send them the broken leapster, they will let you buy a refurbished one from them for 1/2 price.
    Obviously I know this…because we have had a leapster crisis around here before.

21. Kristi says:

Does that mean that your breaking things curse has moved on to other people in your family?

22. Darren McLikeshimself says:

Well, come on, Chris. Indiana Jones wasn’t wearing a fedora when he was a kid! Everybody knows this!

23. Novaks8 says:

Both our leapsters have been dead for months.
    (&^%#%^&^%$$!!!)

We did not buy one pumpkin this year.
    Only my 15 year old noticed and he only noticed this morning.

We bought our costumes at the dollar store this year! I didn’t intend for them to be THE costumes but the adore them and have been wearing them every day!

Hey, whatever works right?

24. Fold My Laundry Please says: