Payback

Payback

October 31, 2006

When I was little my mother knit me a matching hat and scarf. I hated them and would cry everytime she made we wear them. I even remember trying to lose them at daycare, but they would always be back.

They were navy blue and white, and the hat had a HUGE pom-pom on the top that I thought was the stupidest thing ever to be on the top of a hat.

My mother would try to convince me of their adorableness. But for several winters that I was forced to wear them, I remained unconvinced. Finally, thankfully, I grew out of them.

Fast forward to this fall. I bought my daughter an adorable Halloween theme sweater. I was convinced she would like it. Afterall, what was there NOT to like about it. It’s so freaking cute.

My daughter… she hates the sweater. Over the course of the past month I have suggested she wear it numerous times. Each time she tells me it is a stupid sweater.

This morning I pulled it out again and insisted she put it on for a photo. There were tears (hers) and bribes (mine) and compliments (her brothers), and finally she agreed that she would wear the offending sweater and pose with her jack o’lantern. But then, the sweater would be cast aside never to be mentioned ever again in her presence.

See for your self. And tell me, isn’t this just the cutest sweater?

Halloween

or else I am just turning into my mother. shudder

Comments

1. Jodi@OC says:

It is a cute sweater. But obviously isn’t her tastes.

My mom made me a knitted hat too. With a large ugly stringy pom-pom on top. I hated it. It itched and it was pink. Then she made some for my kids last year. I hid them in the bottom of the box of hats. What knitted hats? I don’t see any knitted hats.

2. liz says:

It’s pretty cute and it looks like it might fit next year too. Maybe she’ll like it then.

3. MamaGeph says:

Well, good grief, the girl would be adorable in a paper bag. It IS a cute sweater, tho.

4. Carrie says:

It is an adorable sweater, but she is so cute, she would make anything look adorable. :-)

5. Jess says:

The sweater is adorable but the look on her face is priceless.

6. Sophie says:

Well, I think it is cute! But, beauty is in the eye… you know.

My mom loved to sew when I was a kid and was always making me stuff I hated. Looking back, those clothes weren’t so bad. It was just a mother-daughter, independence-attachment thing, I think. Plus, she could never understand why I loved black instead of bright colors. Ah well.

7. Jonathan says:

It’s very cute, we just had our 2 year old and one year old girls in pumpkins t-shirts.
    Perhaps next year they they will complain. Everyone keeps telling me that girls are fussy about their clothes, from a very young age, seems like it’s true!

8. Cathy C says:

I love the sweater, but if she doesn’t like it…

9. halloweenlover says:

No, it is gorgeous! If I had a sweater like that, I’d wear it!

She is too beautiful!

10. fancythis says:

Love your blog!!!! This is the first time I’ve commented. So anyway, I LOVE the sweater, I think it’s adorable. I’m also with everyone else though, that girl would look adorable in anything!!!

11. Lilly says:

Very cute sweater and very cute little girl. I like that the jack o’lantern is winking. How about Miles? D’ya think he’d like to wear the sweater?

12. jen says:

super cute sweater!

13. L says:

I had the exact same experience when I was a kid, but substitute “eyeball-searingly bright pink corduroys” for “matching hat and scarf.” MOTHERS.

14. Maddy says:

OHHH she is cut, and the jumper is very nice, I love it but I too am a mother so I am bias.

15. kasey says:

I think it’s cute and she looks adorable in it! Also, I love the jack-o-lantern, awesome wink - as if to say, “Yup we got her in that sweater!”

16. Ave says:

sounds like my daughter (3.5 yrs). I bought these ADORABLE ‘apple’ pants. THey are pink and have red apples all over them and they looks sooo cute on her. She refuses to wear them. Thankfully they are big enought that she may just fit into them next year.

17. Jordana says:

Very cute! I can’t tell you how many things I have for my girls that I just love and they won’t touch. Ugh. How dare they form fashion opinions of their own! :)

18. Beck's Mommy says:

it IS the cutest sweater ever. I would have done the same thing. Maybe when she is older, she will see this picture and realize how cute. Then you can say, “I told you so!”

OK, the sweater is cute and all, but your daughter? Your daughter is just gorgeous! I’m a mom of two, not a stalker, no worries, but what a pretty little girl!

It is darling!

My daughter does that to me sometimes, and it drives me *crazy*. However, I can clearly remember being 3 years old and wearing a dotted swiss dress that my mother had made me, and pulling at the sleeves saying, “It PICKS! It PICKS!” (itches)

Like you said… payback. It’s hell.

21. Erika says:

um totally adorable!

22. Anon says:

Is the sweater itchy? Because I can’t stand an itchy sweater either. But it IS really cute.

23. crunchy carpets says:

For a theme sweater…that is gorgeous!
    Even I would wear that!!!

24. Blair says:

She is adorable, and could make anything look adorable…
    but…
    I think I am on her side… I would have hated that sweater at her age.

25. SJ says:

Your daughter is absolutely gorgeous, and that sweater looks cute on her. It really does. I like the pumpkin too!

26. Jen says:

The sweater and your daughter (as always) are both adorable. However, I think I must take her side on this one. The sweater is clearly NOT something a princess would wear. Now, if she’s done with the Cinderella bit, I don’t know what to tell you.

27. Bettsi says:

Oh my goodness! She’s the real cutie- the sweater is just window dressing. That expression says “hhmm, I’m ready for those m&m’s now..”

28. mom8k says:

what is this?? After all these years of overcoming our mothers’ deficient fashion sense and carefully cultivating our own style, these kids have the NERVE to treat us like we don’t know! It gets even better when they become the teen fashion authority!

29. Sara says:

Yeah, I’m “payin’ for my rasin’” as well. My oldest daughter had a dress she had fits about that I loved on her. I remember doing the same with a wool turtlenecked dress when I was little. I hated it.

Your daughter is a beauty and the sweater is adorable.

30. GaftGirl says:

The sweater is so cute. Was it actually warm enough to trick-or-treat somewhere in the world? It is in the teens with the windchill in chilly Minnesota. My child did not leave the house with costume and since we received no trick-or-treators tonight we still made out like bandits on candy!

31. meritt says:

I think the sweater is rather cute myself… but what do I know? I’m a MOM! :)

32. theotherbear says:

That sweater is gorgeous. I’m horrified to find out that kids could have a mind of their own when they are so little.

33. ToadyJoe says:

OMG it IS adorable!!!! I love it!!!

Thank her very muchly for the picture. :)

34. rachel says:

it’s adorable! I’m with the earlier commenter who said she’d look adorable in a paper bag.

My in-laws gave my girls matching spider t-shirts. They wore them today because I forced them, but they were NOT happy. And they were cute too.

Hope you had a good halloween!

35. Kismet says:

Make her wear it. You know what they say about paybacks. Someday she’ll be telling the internet her own story and making her daughter wear something the daughter will hate :)

~K!

36. Lisa M. says:

Hmmmm, do they make that sweater in MY size, ‘cuz I’d TOTALLY wear it!
    My grandma was always making horrible clothes for my brother and I that we HAD to wear. And the funny thing is that it’s now my SON who cares about his clothes - my daughter is much easier to please! Weird….

37. Anna says:

My Mom and I went through all that, too, but of course, her tastes weren’t near as great as mine. ;)
    At some point, she figured out that if she hated it, I’d love it, and vice versa. It’s true! I walk through the stores and say “Gosh, that’s terrible, my Mom would love it.”

38. Kelly says:

You are right it is the cutest sweater ever. Girls they are just like that. Unfortantly it gets worse with age. Ughhh.

39. InterstellarLass says:

It’s a cute sweater, and she makes it even cuter! But, for myself, I’m opposed to holiday-themed clothing. I don’t look good in pumpkins. :)

40. ek says:

I HATE themed clothing, but that is ADORABLE.
    She is so lovely, and the pumpkin has the best expression ever!

But I understand hating what Mom picks out. My hated item was a new furry (faux fur and tan!) coat my mom bought. The entire weekend I hoped she’d forget to have me wear it on Monday. Almost out the door - and sure enough, there she came holding it out for me. Oh, the humiliation! :)

My kids have always hated the clothing that I picked out thinking they were SO wonderful/unique and perfect.

I have a general rule against holiday theme clothing. I hate it. But your daughter is beautiful! And that is one AWESOME pumpkin!

42. Laura K. says:

I love it.. would it fit a 4 yr old boy? You can give it to my son for next year LOL

Cute sweater and even cuter little girlie wearing it. You know, she’ll probably want to pull it out at Valentines Day or something and insist on wearing it EVERY day for a month.

44. Staci says:

I think the sweater is ADORABLE! I’m with you though…if you didn’t make her wear it despite hating every minute of it she wouldn’t be able to blog about it 20 years from now just like you! Way to carry on the tradition. :)

45. Jo says:

Oh so cute! But I wouldn’t make her wear it either. SIGH…

46. Sarcastic Journalist says:

It is cute and I’m the mean mommy that would make her wear it.

47. Chris says:

I have got to say, the sweater is too cute for words. (Oh how I long to buy cute girl clothes.)

Your little hat and scarf story brought back a dreaded memory from childhood. My mother was a seamstress. A seamstress who was convinced Holly Hobby was the cutest thing ever. So cute, she appliqu├ęd it on every piece of clothing I owned. AND made me a bedspread with matching curtains with Holly Hobby fabric. It didn’t matter that I hated Holly, my mother thought she was beautiful.

To this day, I can’t even look at a picture of Holly Hobby without swallowing back down a little vomit…

48. rachel says:

here’s the shot of my girls in their spider shirts. I forced them into them on Halloween so I could send the pics to my in-laws

I would have worn them. bleh on kids who are too picky about clothes too soon.

49. liz says:

The sweater is adorable. I’m glad you have one picture of her wearing it.

50. Mom Nancy says:

I love it! Put me in the ‘very cute’ camp of voters.

51. Trish says:

I’m not a big fan of the sweater, but your daughter is adorable. Maybe if it wasn’t Halloween themed.

And I am still traumatized by the dresses my grandmother bought for me when I was little. My mom made me wear them on school picture day, so in every one of my pictures from elementary school I look like a dork.